BrianX128

Random shut down

BrianX128

I was testing some things on my k301 today trying to get my carburetor linkage better, I got it almost where I wanted 1800-3400 rpm and decided this was good enough, went to drive around and test it and when I'd rev it up it wanted to die entirely which was new. Finally it shut off altogether even trying to rev slowly. When I got off I noticed my spring for the governor had fell off entirely, I didn't hook it through far enough when putting it together [oops] and now it won't start at all.

Has spark, won't hit on ether or a gas soaked rag, it's just as if it's randomly died. I gave it some fuel under the plug and a new plug and it coughed for a couple rotations and that's all I've gotten from a lot of cranking. Smacked the carburetor a bit in case the float was stuck, I have an electric pump and its working.. pto is off, seat switch works.. I'm baffled. It will still blow your thumb off the spark plug hole on compression stroke and you can feel it sucking in air good on intake and feel a good puff out on exhaust. 

Surely there's no way I flooded it enough it won't start? 

71_Bronco

I know this sounds silly, but I assume you checked the fuel to make sure there's some in the tank?

I've had my push-mower die on me mid-mow and wouldnt start. Then I check the tank (thinking there's no way its empty), and sure enough, its outta gas.

Were you adjusting the needles in the carb to get the RPMs right? It may be worth it to try resetting them and re-tuning.

Edited by 71_Bronco

BrianX128

So I was checking spark again and the spark didn't look right. I touched the coil and about melted a half hour after it ran. Double checked the coil only has power when the key is on, it must be drastically over heating. I had an old coil from a K341 and tossed that on and it's running again. I don't know that it loves this coil but I think I'm way out of carburetor adjustment from trying to adjust it with bad spark so I'm messing with that now.

ZXT
41 minutes ago, BrianX128 said:

So I was checking spark again and the spark didn't look right. I touched the coil and about melted a half hour after it ran. Double checked the coil only has power when the key is on, it must be drastically over heating. I had an old coil from a K341 and tossed that on and it's running again. I don't know that it loves this coil but I think I'm way out of carburetor adjustment from trying to adjust it with bad spark so I'm messing with that now.

Sounds to me like it had a coil on it that requires an external resistor. A coil will get extremely hot if it's operating at 12v when it wants half that.

• Like 2