ELECTRORIC

K301 oil level question

ELECTRORIC

Just picked up a 1968 Electro 12 with original engine the manual says 5 pints of oil after draining completly I added 2 qts. and checked and dipstick showed full I did a measurement and the oil line is right at the oil pan line, I read a article that said oil line should be a 1/2" above oil pan line if I add the pint that does put it above the oil pan line but shows over full on dipstick it is a screw in dipstick and I'm not screwing it in for checking I have this problem before I just put in 2-1/2 qt. and go never had a problem just curious what you guys think.

bottjernat1
1 hour ago, ELECTRORIC said:

Just picked up a 1968 Electro 12 with original engine the manual says 5 pints of oil after draining completly I added 2 qts. and checked and dipstick showed full I did a measurement and the oil line is right at the oil pan line, I read a article that said oil line should be a 1/2" above oil pan line if I add the pint that does put it above the oil pan line but shows over full on dipstick it is a screw in dipstick and I'm not screwing it in for checking I have this problem before I just put in 2-1/2 qt. and go never had a problem just curious what you guys think.

I also own a 1969 electro 12 when i changed the oil last summer i put 2 qts sae 30 in it. You should be good. Dont overfill it will start blowing seals and gaskets. Actually its my youngest daughters machine but dear old dad keeps the maintenance. LOL

20190811_124742.jpg

WHX??

When checking with the older  screw in plug style dipstick just rest the bottom of the plug on the block. it can be tricky to see the oil level on these round dipsticks. Clean around the plug before checking. Here is the rest of the manual.

Annotation 2020-06-30 113843.png

Engine Kohler K91 K141 K161 K181 K241 K301 K321 SM 1972.pdf

• Like 2

ELECTRORIC

That was the way I checked it,I guess for now I will go with the dipstick reading and assume the manual is incorrect.

Thank you

ebinmaine

I've got a 1970 Charger 12. Also a 1974  16 horse. I put 2 quarts in both of those and it comes up to full.

• Like 2