Sailman

NEED ADVICE on Kohler 301Head Gasket repai

953 nut
11 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Yes you can check them with the head off. I forget the actual specs but some guys go to the tight side to help with valve clatter. 

30 Richard ??? I go 35 then just a smidge over after 1st run.

As long as the torque is equal and done in the correct sequence it will be OK. My torque wrench has never been calibrated and doubt that yous has so we don't know for sure what the actual torque is.

1500535929_Screenshot(34).png.a9fbcdfc6fba94c738bdb9da5c207880.png

• Like 2

Sailman

Don't have access to cylinder wall tools but all looks acceptable. Think I will button her back up and go with that.

I planed the head down today and it definitely had a low spot where it was leaking over the gasket.

When torquing to specs I assume you just snug all the bolts lightly then torque in the sequence given. Do you torque all the way to 30 on each bolt or do them all to 15 or 20 then finish with the 30?

953 nut
52 minutes ago, Sailman said:

Do you torque all the way to 30 on each bolt or do them all to 15 or 20 then finish with the 30?

Couldn't hurt to tighten them with a ratchet then do the torque sequence. I have a 18 volt impact driver that I use to assemble most things, it is good for about 20 Foot/Pounds.

• Thanks 1

tom2p
4 hours ago, Sailman said:

Don't have access to cylinder wall tools but all looks acceptable. Think I will button her back up and go with that.

I planed the head down today and it definitely had a low spot where it was leaking over the gasket.

When torquing to specs I assume you just snug all the bolts lightly then torque in the sequence given. Do you torque all the way to 30 on each bolt or do them all to 15 or 20 then finish with the 30?

better to tighten in stages (in recommended sequence)

15-20-30 would be better than going directly to 30 

• Thanks 1

Tuneup

If you doubt your torque wrench, as I did my old SnapOn of 30 years of age, go to 'choke' HF and get their electronic torque device. Sure, you are checking one uncalibrated device against another but you can have the reassurance that, if both are reading near the same value, they are more than likely accurate. My SnapOn is A-OK. It would be fun to do a round robin on torque wrenches at head torque - I bet it would be revealing. I used to stand on mine - was the only way to get that blasted Beetle 36mm nut to ~250 ft.lbs.

• Like 2

Sailman

Well just wanted to report success on the head gasket job!

Original gasket was not blown but I could see where oil was leaking over it. Also low spot in the head at that spot. Planed the head, torqued as required and she runs like a top!

Just wanted to add. It sounded awful before with lugging down, smoking and weird pinging noises...All due to a simple head gasket leak!

Going to pull the carb soon and check / adjust the valves and should be good to go!

Thanks for all the great advice from generous folks on this site!!!

• Thanks 2

Tuneup

Excellent - and thanks for checking in. So many will ask advice and then disappear into the ether of the internet. These K engines are very forgiving and easy to maintain. By the way, not far from you, in Jasper. I used to run through Flowery Branch on the way to the track back when AMA was running the Big Kahuna there. Good times. Carnage in the Gravity Cavity.

• Excellent 1

Sailman

Good to know we have some wheel horse folks down south of the mason dixon!

I adjusted the valves, took the carb apart and cleaned. Main jet screw head slot was boogered and could not get it out but cleaned it good. Adjustment needle for main jet had nasty bend where someone screwed it in too tight. Straightened it, sanded smooth, reinstalled ....

tractor starts and runs like a champ! Hooked up the mower and used it (its a bit loud but all bearings are good). Did notice mule drive is tight against the outer pulley so trying to figure out some spacer arrangement to keep it from stopping pulley spin.

All in all pleased with the little tractor!