1973Auto

May have to put the horse down😞

1973Auto

Well the old horse may have seen better days. Changed the cam plate as I have done may times before. Put her in reverse went fine then real slow in forward then it just quit. No reverse no forward, nothing. .  Took a pic of the rear wheel, say oil/grease coming out. Did notice that it was bucking hard going forward in slow speed. Did not think much of it. Any thoughts? 

image.jpeg

Pullstart

I think that’s no reason to put a Horse to pasture...  Is the fluid level ok?  I’d start there on the motion.  Your transmission is two parts working together.  The hydro motor and the differential casing.  If you can get it to move, the diff can be split and new bearings/seals installed.  There is plenty of help on here :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I think that’s no reason to put a Horse to pasture

I'd agree.

These machines are incredibly easy to repair and get needed parts.

With all the hydro maestros on Redsquare you can get it running around...

• Like 3

1973Auto
15 minutes ago, pullstart said:

I think that’s no reason to put a Horse to pasture...  Is the fluid level ok?  I’d start there on the motion.  Your transmission is two parts working together.  The hydro motor and the differential casing.  If you can get it to move, the diff can be split and new bearings/seals installed.  There is plenty of help on here :handgestures-thumbupright:

Yes. There is fluid. I didn't do more than check that. I didn't jack it up yet. I just got PO'ed and left it there. I know nothing about trany's so I am Leary about ripping this apart. I wouldn't mind taking it to someone that is knowledgeable in this area. Maybe a 150 mile radius of Jamestown NY

RandyLittrell

Sure it's not a woodruff key?

Randy

• Like 3

1973Auto
8 minutes ago, RandyLittrell said:

Sure it's not a woodruff key?

Randy's have not checked yet I just let it sit. Question though, wouldn't one wheel grab? Just spit ballin' here

RandyLittrell

Nope, one axle will just spin in the hub and its my experience at first they might grab a little, making it feel like the tranny. I'll keep my fingers crossed since it's an easy fix!!

This can happen while trying to get it back to the shop. 

Randy

KIMG0310.JPG

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

The hub that close to the tranny is a clue I think. If they slide in a bit, they lose bite on the woodruff key. 

Randy

• Like 1

daveoman1966

I am near Saegertown PA   16433.   About 80 miles from Jimtown...and can probably help with the Sundstrand Hydro repair if it gets to that.  

I've rebuilt a couple dozen of these...   not real difficult to do, just have to be meticulous.  Also have SOME refurbished hydro internal parts on the shelf.  My email is:  daveoman@windstream.net   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

1973Auto
6 hours ago, daveoman1966 said:

I am near Saegertown PA   16433.   About 80 miles from Jimtown...and can probably help with the Sundstrand Hydro repair if it gets to that.  

I've rebuilt a couple dozen of these...   not real difficult to do, just have to be meticulous.  Also have SOME refurbished hydro internal parts on the shelf.  My email is:  daveoman@windstream.net   

Thank you! If it's not the key I will be contacting you. I will be working on it this morning and letting everyone know how it goies!! I hope it's just the key👍

• Like 1

71_Bronco

While in there, change out the seal. That will stop the fluid from leaking out like you said. Seals are cheap.

• Like 2

Pullstart

I believe that is an 1-1/8” axle.  Here’s a link to part numbers for seals.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

While we're on the subject of axles here that may need to steal the thread here but I have two axles with the woodruff key that will not and I mean will not come out!!

any suggestions

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, The Tuul Crib said:

While we're on the subject of axles here that may need to steal the thread here but I have two axles with the woodruff key that will not and I mean will not come out!!

any suggestions

Get the area around the woodruff key pretty hot. As it starts to cool down let your favorite penetrating oil work its way in there.

Try to tap on the ends of the key to create a rocking motion.

If that doesn't work you may have to get a small cut off wheel from a Dremel in there.

• Like 1

71_Bronco

I had a stubborn key in one of mine. Tap to rock got a little wiggle. Tried a screwdriver / chisel from the end, no luck. Grabbed with vice grips, kept slipping off. Lots of PB Blaster, nada.

Finally heated up the axle with a MAP-Gas torch and doused with PB Blaster, then was able to use the chisel from the end to slowly work it out.

1973Auto

The horse is still kicking!!!!:greetings-clappingyellow: it was the 65 cent woodruff key!!!! Thanks for the suggestions and where I can get the Trany worked on in case it some day kicks the bucket. Just the way it acted I thought the worst! The fat chick is still going!!!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

1973Auto
21 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Nope, one axle will just spin in the hub and its my experience at first they might grab a little, making it feel like the tranny. I'll keep my fingers crossed since it's an easy fix!!

This can happen while trying to get it back to the shop. 

Randy

KIMG0310.JPG

Had the exact same thing happen to me about 7-8 years ago. But I was plowing and it was a freakin snow storm! Lucky the neighbor had his Kubota with the front bucket. Picked up the ass end and pushed it back to my garage!!

• Like 1