Hencho

My bad!

Hencho

Hello all,

I screwed up and let the automatic transmission fluid get too low in my model 875 and now it’s not working. I added fluid jacked it up and ran it for 10-15 minutes. The wheels turn but with no power. I checked the bypass valve, closed tight. Does anyone have any suggestions?

daveoman1966

Take the hydro pump off and rebuild it.  You'll probably find some deeply scored soft brass parts (Piston Slippers) that need resurfaced.

This isn't so tuff to do, just be meticulous with it and get it right.  

Resurface the Piston Slippers, Thrust Washer, Charge Pump Housing, and the Base of the pistons Cylinder Block.  Use a FLAT surface plate and...using figure 8 motion... progressively sand off the scoring using 220...400...and 1000 grit sand paper.  Don't remove excess material...just enough to remove the scoring and scratches.  Reassemble using Assembly Oil and install a new filter.  I have posted on Red Square the procedure and pics for the overhaul...  but don't know where the moderators have included it.

SUNDSTRAND HYDROGEAR refurb.docx

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hencho

Thanks Dave,

Are the TIMKIN seals readily available at industrial supply store? Also where would I be able to get the Sundstrand O rings & case gaskets?

• Like 1

roadapples

Check with Wheel Horse Parts and More in the venders section...

Pullstart

@Hencho.... :text-welcomewave:

pfrederi
13 hours ago, Hencho said:

Thanks Dave,

Are the TIMKIN seals readily available at industrial supply store? Also where would I be able to get the Sundstrand O rings & case gaskets?

Check this posting out for seals and O-ring sizes

Edited by pfrederi

Hencho

Thanks for your help. I’m beginning to believe that I can do this!

953 nut

:WRS:

We think you can do it too. The beauty of a :wh: is that they used standard off the shelf parts which don't need to be sourced through the dealership.

The Tuul Crib
On 6/28/2020 at 10:34 PM, roadapples said:

Check with Wheel Horse Parts and More in the venders section...

:text-yeahthat:Lowel is top notch! Hope I spelled it right.

Hencho

I finally got the cajoles to take apart my Sundstrand 90-2001 pump. So here are the pictures of the damage. How much material can I remove from these before they need to be replaced?

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

pfrederi

that is not good. Spec for the slippers is not to remove more than .005.  However since new ones aren't available (at least for a reasonable price) better to get them smooth even if you exceed the .005.  I have taken a lot off some slippers never measured and they worked OK. The pump is cast steel and it is a lot repeat a lot of work trying to get rid of scoring that deep.  I spent several hours with wet dry paper on glass for a gouge not quite that deep.  You might have a machine shop fill it with weld and resurface.

• Like 1

Hencho

I thought you might say that. I have a mig welder but welding cast iron can be tricky. I have access to a surface grinder so removing material won’t be so labor intensive. I’ll risk welding if you think I’ve really got nothing to lose.

pfrederi

The bottom of the piston block will need work also.  There I am not sure how much you can take off before it interferes with fluid flow...There is no spec I am aware of.  I took a bunch off my GT-14 pump and it seem to work OK.  If you weld make sure you replicate the small V relief cuts at the one end of each slot.

Is there a chip or series of chips out of the slipper end of the piston block??

Edited by pfrederi

daveoman1966

I have a perfectly good CHARGE PUMP HOUSING (with gerotor set) ...and  a set of 9 pistons with slippers...all polished and ready for use.  

Also have: THRUST washer (1/4  thick), SWASH plate, piston retainer ring...etc..  

These are all good useable parts, refurbished by hand. 

Benn doin' this for 30+ years...lemme know what you need. 

BTW...your BRASS piston slippers are about the worst I've ever seen.  I can replace one or all of them...your choice.  

030.JPG

029.JPG

027.JPG

BRASS SLIPPERS.jpeg

010.JPG

005.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Hencho

I’m interested. What are you charging for each item and how much if I buy the lot? You can send quote to cutrone@live.com

daveoman1966

I am sending you via Email an Excel SS for the part you ask about: 

PS..  The NEW Cylinder block with Pistons can be had for $1,100.77. 

The Swash Plate is NEW for only $533.85. 

• Sad 1