D_Mac

Starting this here even though I am close to completing it. Just wanted to show that if you buy a nice running tractor, with just a few dollars you can bring it back to looking as nice as it runs.

I purchased this a few weeks ago. It was bought new by the family and was passed down from father to son, to brother. The last brother wanted to buy something newer. The 416-8 was scalping his lawn and didnt want to deal with it. I paid him and loaded it into my truck. At the time I didnt have a place to keep it so I brought the tractor to a friends house and the deck to my house. The deck I scrapped the underside, wasnt bad but had a rope wrapped around all the blades. Took the blades off. Took the guards off. Scrapped and sanded the top for painting. I noticed the leveling rod was broke, figured thats why it was scalping the grass. Ordered new rod and decal kit for the 48 inch deck.

20200616_180559.jpg

20200616_180610.jpg

20200616_180622.jpg

20200616_180640.jpg

20200616_180700.jpg

20200616_181509.jpg

20200616_181530.jpg

20200616_201224.jpg

20200617_103710.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 5
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

While it was at my friends house I did go over a few days to work on it. The tractor had black electrical tape as well as clear tape all over it. You can see it in the previous photos. Removed all of that plus the original decals and all the sticky residue left behind. Adjusted the clutch, tried to get the parking brake to engage but failed on that. Changed the oil, changed the fuel filter, installed new air filter, new spark plug. I also took off the blower housing and blew out all the nests and leaves and grass that had piled up since 1988.

20200617_103727.jpg

20200617_103751.jpg

20200623_162017.jpg

20200625_163247.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

With the deck at my house I was able to scrap the bottom clean. I painted the top of the deck and the guards. had the blades sharpened and balanced. Put it all back together. Applied new decals.

20200616_201224.jpg

20200617_103710.jpg

20200619_144710.jpg

20200619_205616.jpg

20200619_205630.jpg

20200623_145829.jpg

20200623_145556.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

So I got my garage cleaned out so I could squeeze a 4th tractor in it. Wasnt easy I only have a one car garage and to get 4 tractors plus all my other stuff in there and still be able to close the door was a task by itself. Brought the 416-8 home to do some major cleaning. The 16 hp Kohler Magnum is running perfect. Sounds great. Got lucky there as the engine and tranny are rock solid. I degreased and power washed everything. I repainted the wheels back to original color as at one time they were painted black. Got out my tooth brush and cleaned every little nook and cranny. Brush touched up a few spots of paint. Except for the wheels its all original paint. Scrubbed the tires with a brush and reconditioned them. Painted the debris guard. PO had painted the muffler but some off the paint had come off so I repainted with High Heat paint. Greased all the fittings on the deck as well as the tractor.

20200625_203149.jpg

20200625_203209.jpg

20200626_112835.jpg

20200626_121634.jpg

20200626_121545.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Excellent work

• Thanks 1

squonk

I want to see a pic of everything in the garage! :wwp:

• Haha 1

peter lena

D-MAC, thank you for the photo tour !  i thought i was there helping you out ! you taking advantage of the obvious strong points and building off of that  is the way to go. often see people get tied up in everything , making a gain difficult. you were very lucky to have picked this up and revived it. when you get the chance ,send us more of your work , thank you , pete 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Thank You @ebinmaine I have been following your builds as well. Like my title says, this is just a " refresh" . I didnt have to do any mechanical work as this machine was in good running condition when I purchased it. The only mechanics that I did was adjusted the brake and clutch. The oil change, regreasing, spark plug, fuel filter, and air cleaner I feel should always be done when acquiring a new machine. This wasnt a restore back to new or custom build. Just refresh on a budget.

@peter lena Thanks for watching ! I could have used some help ! Stay tuned for its completion. One more finishing touch to go. I still want to fix the parking brake issue but dont want to spend the 100 dollars on a new brake band especially if I dont think it will fix the issue. No one seems to want to chime in on weather its just this tractor or are most like that. The dash lights I am not so sure if thats something I want to get into. Looks like trying to fix them might be like disturbing a hornets nest. Leave well enough alone.

@squonk you want it you got it!! This is before I put the deck on. I had to rearrange them so both Horses are on the same side because of the decks. What cant be seen but is still in the garage is my 11.5 hp 32 inch snowblower, 2 generators and a wagon !! 

If you see anything you like make an offer !!!

20200626_145124.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 5

tom2p

great job D Mac !

And I feel your pain - have tractors and just about anything and everything else stuffed into a garage 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

biged77

IMG_0819.JPG.ea53fa18f15723fd523fe0fecf9e35c7.JPG                                                                                    Looks great D_Mac.  Painting the debris guard white is a nice detail too.  As far as the parking break, I had a problem with my 416-8 also.  It would not release by itself when the brake pedal was depressed.  Turns out the U shaped piece was sprung, removed and used a vice to spring it back (see arrows).  Easy fix if that's your problem.

Edited by biged77
spacing
  • Thanks 2

Sparky

That came out real nice! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

@biged77 I looked at that piece 100 times, I didnt see anything wrong but I dont know what I am looking for. When I set the brake that U shaped piece is a long ways away from catching those teeth. If I loosen the brake strap so that U piece catches the teeth the brake wont stop it from moving. I dont think the brake strap is so far worn on mine that if I got a new one it would make much differance. maybe that U piece can be pushed back? Ill have to look again.

20200623_162017.jpg

20200623_161926.jpg

biged77

Mine works but it is on the last tooth.  

wrightorchid

Nice job!  Should run a long time.

• Thanks 1

12Horse Paladin
On 6/28/2020 at 6:02 AM, squonk said:

I want to see a pic of everything in the garage! :wwp:

Me, too!

• Thanks 1

Tuneup

I hope that 'brother' wasn't your brother. Mine would make mention of wanting it back and would be more than half-serious. He was that kind of brother. Really nice job! My 516 has an issue with the brake as well and it's a little bit more complex of an apparatus. Yes, seems you have plenty of lining material while mine is about shot. Again, great job!

• Thanks 1

peter lena

D-MAC the bottom side of that deck looks starved for LUBRICATION SOAKING , TO FEED THE METAL. if you regularly drop your deck and clean it out , that is the time to use a cable and chain lubricant on the entire bottom side , if possible prop it up to the sun with the lube on it , the deck gets hot and sucks in the lubricant , breaks the grunge cycle ,and your deck lives much longer . i like the rest of you article , good recovery on that , and a good horse to start with , pete 

D_Mac
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

D-MAC the bottom side of that deck looks starved for LUBRICATION SOAKING , TO FEED THE METAL. if you regularly drop your deck and clean it out , that is the time to use a cable and chain lubricant on the entire bottom side , if possible prop it up to the sun with the lube on it , the deck gets hot and sucks in the lubricant , breaks the grunge cycle ,and your deck lives much longer . i like the rest of you article , good recovery on that , and a good horse to start with , pete 

yes when I had the deck of for painting I went through it all, shapened blades, scrapped it, lubed it all. It had rope wrapped around the blades and spindles.

• Like 1

Darb1964

I have acquired three horse's in the last two months, C125 A, C111-8, and a 520-H, last two have been sitting for years. Have not had time to get them going, hope to soon. Nice job on that 416-8. That single 16 is defiantly the one I'd like to get. Not sure how I'm going to make room for them all. I have been parking my truck in the drive for the summer so I put them in the garage for now. Keep getting parts tractors, cleaning them up, and find they have a lot of life left. I need to have a better excuse for my Bride, when she asks what do you need this one for? Parts, that's what you said seven tractors ago. Well maybe this will be the one! Bride YA RIGHT! seemed sarcastic to me?

D_Mac

@Darb1964 Yes that Kohler 16hp is a nice engine. I have two in my garage now. K341 and the Magnum 16. One Hydro one 8 speed. My garage will never have room to put a car in it, but it holds 4 tractors !!

• Like 1

Darb1964

D-Mac I have three in my garage,four in my barn,and one in a shed, wheel horse. I have a 30-10 Kubota that is outside. Before winter I will need to do some rearranging to get them all in,don't like leaving any of them out. Kubota only out now because doing hay, weather permitting, not permitting last week or so.

• Excellent 1

D_Mac

Well I finished off this tractor and I am very pleased with the results. My decals arrived yesterday from @Vinylguy. I originally ordered the original matching decals but then at the last minute I changed my mind and decided to go with the custom set. I am glad I did. I love the look. Take a look at the before and afters and let me know what you all think. Painted the deck and the wheels, the rest of it is original paint. Replaced the seat. Adjusted brakes and clutch. Changed oil. New fuel filter and air filter. New spark plug. Runs strong and looks great. I just like to show what a little elbow grease, a few cans of spray paint, and some new decals from @Vinylguy can do for your tractor. Thanks for looking. Look forward to your comments.

20200707_105644.jpg

20200707_105049.jpg

20200707_105625.jpg

20200707_105537.jpg

20200707_105130.jpg

20200707_105601.jpg

20200707_105218.jpg

20200707_105658.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

SCHAFLOR

Looks like new. No one that hasn't heard of WH, will belief it is 32 years old. Great job D-mac!

• Thanks 1

Darb1964

Very nice!

• Thanks 1