Salbreth1

Curbside 418-C puller build

Salbreth1

Had some time to some priming.  Im painting just what I need to get a rolling, steering chassis for now. Chiseling the grease Off of everything  has been a nightmare. The tires had a bit of moisture inside and did a number on the wheels. Wish I had a sand blaster. Also found a bad front wheel bearing. My wheels use the big flanged bearing. 1 3/4” OD, 3/4” ID. $75 each on toros site. Jeeze. I’ll see what McMaster Carr has. Bare with me, this build might take a while. 

95A3F0BA-BA97-4144-8827-38D03139214B.jpeg

8E46819C-E317-4C37-9F1B-22151EBB0E16.jpeg

B6FB5EFE-A63A-44B8-B9FB-3763B65C3980.jpeg

• Like 5

WildmanC120
3 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

Had some time to some priming.  Im painting just what I need to get a rolling, steering chassis for now. Chiseling the grease Off of everything  has been a nightmare. The tires had a bit of moisture inside and did a number on the wheels. Wish I had a sand blaster. Also found a bad front wheel bearing. My wheels use the big flanged bearing. 1 3/4” OD, 3/4” ID. $75 each on toros site. Jeeze. I’ll see what McMaster Carr has. Bare with me, this build might take a while. 

95A3F0BA-BA97-4144-8827-38D03139214B.jpeg

8E46819C-E317-4C37-9F1B-22151EBB0E16.jpeg

B6FB5EFE-A63A-44B8-B9FB-3763B65C3980.jpeg

Looking good so far. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

I’ll see what McMaster Carr has

That's a good idea.

Also remember to check with Lincoln at A to Z.

Don't sweat the time it takes. 

Enjoy the build!!

I've had one in process for almost a year and it'll be nearly another before it's done.

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Thanks guys,  I’m gonna have to hit the wheels with a wire wheel but I think they will be ok. I am not looking forward to it. Then it’s time to de grease the rear. I’m hoping the axle seals are good. Nothing was leaking before I drained it but who knows once it heats up. 

Guess I should find out who Lincoln is at A to Z. Thanks for the source ebinmaine. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WildmanC120
Just now, Salbreth1 said:

Thanks guys,  I’m gonna have to hit the wheels with a wire wheel but I think they will be ok. I am not looking forward to it. Then it’s time to de grease the rear. I’m hoping the axle seals are good. Nothing was leaking before I drained it but who knows once it heats up. 

Guess I should find out who Lincoln is at A to Z. Thanks for the source ebinmaine. 

Setup a small electrolysis tank. It will do a great job breaking down the crap on the wheels and they will cleanup easier  

• Like 2

ebinmaine

A to Z tractor in PA.

He's one of our approved vendors.

Lincoln is a super cool guy.

He sells new and GREAT used parts.

He's very busy much of the time and I don't know how much his website gets updated so I always call.

• Like 1

Salbreth1
7 minutes ago, WildmanC120 said:

Setup a small electrolysis tank. It will do a great job breaking down the crap on the wheels and they will cleanup easier  

Genius, and thank you! 

6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A to Z tractor in PA.

He's one of our approved vendors.

Lincoln is a super cool guy.

He sells new and GREAT used parts.

He's very busy much of the time and I don't know how much his website gets updated so I always call.

Great! I will call and see what he has. 

• Like 2

Pullstart
16 hours ago, WildmanC120 said:

yep, my thoughts too!

If you click this here link... it’ll take you to Mrs. P’s “Frank” build where I did the e-tank on wheels.  

• Like 2

Salbreth1

And we have electrolysis! So I sanded the paint off old mower blades and welded them up. The wheel is bolted to the all thread and suspended. 

all I have is a little digital charger 1.5A. I had to put a power wheels battery in parallel to trigger it but is bubbling like hell. If it dies I have a few DC power supplies an can use. 

been about 10 minutes and the water is already murky. I hate leaving things like this running at night but I have the garage open and a fan on it 

F2B51374-D15F-4B67-8278-953F43CCDEC5.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Salbreth1

Making progress but gonna need a better charger. My regulated power supply is rated for 2.5A but after 10 minutes I could fry an egg on it. Actual current draw on my digital charger is 1.5A. Maybe I need more patience. 

A6EA833C-EB16-47DD-B82A-777BFC698FC8.jpeg

• Like 2

Salbreth1

Ok, got an old school charger. 10A for 2 days and it’s good as new. Definitely a pain to wire brush the crevices but I am very happy with the result. 3 more to go. 

E43B8471-044C-485A-BE9F-358CAABABC5B.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Looks great. 

• Like 1

Salbreth1

So I’m degreasing the rear and noticed a drip under the left hub. The right hub is black. Maybe it was replaced but I’m thinking I should replace the seals while it’s apart. Are these something that go? This question might be rhetorical. 

9B3D35A2-68A3-435E-88D0-27DD5BE2D1F7.jpeg

• Like 1

WildmanC120

When your all done just put the tractor.at.the end.ofmthw driveway and I'll come get it. Haha 

• Haha 5

Salbreth1
Just now, WildmanC120 said:

When your all done just put the tractor.at.the end.ofmthw driveway and I'll come get it. Haha 

LMAO. When I’m done with it you’re gonna wish I did. 

• Haha 2

ebinmaine
9 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

something that go

They are.

You should replace them while you're there.

Those hubs can be a bear to remove.

Check the reference section for great instructions for the process.

Do NOT use a regular puller....

Seals can be purchased through our vendor Wheelhorse parts and More, or through many other sources.

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Thanks. I checked it out last week. Looks like a pain but I have a good solution. I hope. 

• Like 1

Salbreth1

I’ll have to run to fastenal for some bolts tomorrow but wheelhorse parts had the seals and tranny gasket. Also bought new tie rods ends. Mine were eaten pretty badly.   Just need to call about the over sized front wheel bearing. 

• Like 3

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

Thanks. I checked it out last week. Looks like a pain but I have a good solution. I hope. 

Heat and good penetrant oil are also your friends

• Like 2

Redneckdavis

This is a cool story. Looking forward to see how your tractor turns out

• Like 3

Salbreth1

My wheels definitely look white and not the pewter color I see on most of the 418s. Am I missing something? I’d like to stick with the original colors though I like the off white wheels better. 

• Like 1

Lee1977
9 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

My wheels definitely look white and not the pewter color I see on most of the 418s. Am I missing something? I’d like to stick with the original colors though I like the off white wheels better. 

I changed the color of the wheels on my 520-H.  I used Dupli-Color Ford Wimbledon White.

SAM-1115.jpg

If you chose to keep the original color use Silver Argent. You can get it in your favorate flavor for GM, Ford or MoPar.

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I changed the color of the wheels on my 520-H.  I used Dupli-Color Ford Wimbledon White.

SAM-1115.jpg

If you chose to keep the original color use Silver Argent. You can get it in your favorate flavor for GM, Ford or MoPar.

That looks pretty slick Lee.

15 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

white

It seems there were variations in the white over the years as with the reds. 

It's really an off white or antique white.

All the tractors Trina and I have are done in Rust-Oleum 2x Navajo White.

We find it to be a close match to the inside of 60s wheels that haven't seen sun.

I've seen lighter and darker tints from others and all look good.

Original is great. So is "make it your own".  

• Like 2

Salbreth1
8 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Original is great. So is "make it your own".  

I agree. The white with the red just looks much better IMO. “Majic” brand at tractor supply has the Wimbledon white as well as international harvest red. That might be a good combo. I ended up buying a sprayer.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

sprayer

Is this a new tool / toy for you or do you have some experience painting?

• Like 1