Salbreth1

Curbside 418-C puller build

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

I'll be along. 

How's about some updated progress pics?

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Not much progress but I found 4 nice cracks in the axle mounting plate. I’ll have to drill and fill them. Maybe weld a backer plate to it.

B2C596C9-565D-4B6F-911D-37998596348D.jpeg

• Like 4

ebinmaine
14 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

Not much progress but I found 4 nice cracks in the axle mounting plate. I’ll have to drill and fill them. Maybe weld a backer plate to it.

B2C596C9-565D-4B6F-911D-37998596348D.jpeg

There are several threads about how to repair and reinforce the area.

Pretty common on horses with hard usage.

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Thank you, I found the threads. I’ll have to pick up a length of angle. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

OLD bedframe is good angle iron

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

Thanks for starting a thread dedicated to this build...I’m looking forward to watching the progress:popcorn:

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:popcorn:

• Like 2

Salbreth1

Thanks, I’m excited about the build and knowing now about the not so common 418-C, I’m dedicated at this point. The plan is to bring it back to stock and see how little Sal likes pulling.  Then maybe another with a small block in it. :D

im not sure what parts I’m missing now but I’m going to take it a step at a time. First get all the bones painted and  re-assembled. I read the paint threat and of course different opinions about primers. I don’t have a sprayer but had good results with rustoleum. I’ve taken the frame down to bare metal and gave it an acetone bath. After I weld the new angles on the transmission plate I’d like to prime it and feel like got somewhere. 

here’s a shot of my son while we were disassembling. He’s all about it!

B0CB29AF-1FF8-4E3C-AB83-C8AC979A9BFD.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 4

953 nut
7 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

drove up to find this 418-C and a set of aluminum ramps on the side of the road. Had to be fate. 

God is good, he knew you needed the ramps.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

AMC RULES

Posting this here for inspiration.

Couple W-H pullers from our local tractor show.

If you're interested, look around there, there's a few more there where they're posted. 787811653_RS-WelcomeWagon.jpg.fb3ba0aa90d34a2772af270fbdf978b6.jpg.877b32f499079468f9efd503a1ab3f8e.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold
17 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

OLD bedframe is good angle iron

`

Do a test cut before using bed frame angle iron, some have a high carbon content and becomes brittle next to the welded area.

Credits.

Ahhh, Mystery Metal! Fun stuff! Most bed frames made toaday are made from what Bob said - light gauge Hot Rolled steel, and they weld, cut, and drill fine. Good for non-structural stuff. BUT if you get hold of an older frame that has some weight to it and has angle that you can't twist a little bit in your hands, it's a way different story. That's the Mystery Metal stuff - and it is HARD! I don't use it for anything at all.

Hank

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 2

Salbreth1

Thanks nut, I was going through the puller section. I’ve never pulled before so I’m reading a lot so I don’t look like a complete noob when I show up. :blink:

so I grabbed a piece of 2x2x3/16 mild steal and fabbed the angles. Their was a piece of 1/8” flat bar already welded at the top so I guess someone made an attempt to fix it once. I added 2 more and welded it up. Came out pretty nice.  

69DC43A1-B689-43A6-8E9A-EDC3C6D2D557.jpeg

Edited by Salbreth1
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 7

WildmanC120

Glad to see my tractor make it to the forum. I threw it out because I sold the house and just didn't have the energy to move it. 

You will need one of the hard hydraulic lines for the transmission and hopefully it will work for you.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

Salbreth1

Your kidding? What are the odds. I can tell you it’s in good hands. Looking forward to restoring it. And I would greatly appreciate any insight about the hydro and axle if they had issues.  They seem to be in good shape.

my son and I thanks you!

sal

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

WildmanC120
4 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

Your kidding? What are the odds. I can tell you it’s in good hands. Looking forward to restoring it. And I would greatly appreciate any insight about the hydro and axle if they had issues.  They seem to be in good shape.

my son and I thanks you!

sal

I pulled it apart because I was going to restore it. The hydro was not working and had a broken pipe off the pump.  It's only like a $30 pipe on eBay.  It also needed the new center console piece where the seat attaches as it was all broken. You should have 2 new ones there.  If you use the 520 one you will need other pieces.  If you use the other 416 one you can use the  enter console you have.  

I wish you luck with it.  I was excited to restore it but I have 3 others at the moment.  Once the house should and I started moving things I was just over moving stuff and ran outta room so to the street it went. I just moved into the new house 2 days ago so hoping to find a deal on another one to restore. 

I wish you and your son well with the build. I look forward to seeing the end results. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Salbreth1

Great! Thanks again. I had the hydro moving the tractor when I brought it home. So hopefully an easy fix. If all else fails I’ll look for an 8 speed. 

• Like 2

WildmanC120
Just now, Salbreth1 said:

Great! Thanks again. I had the hydro moving the tractor when I brought it home. So hopefully an easy fix. If all else fails I’ll look for an 8 speed. 

If you are gonna pull then an 8 speed would be a better setup.  That hydro is desirable in that tractor as it is geared faster for commercial use. That was the reason why I wanted it when I got it was the rear end. 

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Just celebrated my daughters 1st birthday. She was born on the forth. It was mayhem, but lots of fun. but I finally got to priming the frame. I be spraying the other parts during the week if time allows. Also had a crack in the lower steering support and had to order one off eBay. The hood and saddle are in rough shape. Not sure if I should do the body work or find a better one. 

979010C5-7842-4EED-BFE1-AE64DB74EB96.jpeg

CEB0DCCD-B677-4447-A0A2-C134E581A963.jpeg

image.jpg

• Like 4

ebinmaine

How much rust pitting is there?

Kind of a Time value vs money value thing.

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Yea, I could get lucky locally. It’s pitted pretty bad. Lots of prep and bondo. Worse than sheet rock...

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Might not be a bad idea to throw a want ad in our classified section.

• Like 2

WildmanC120

Install the 416 tower, use the steering wheel assembly with the cast dash and then use the fiberglass hood from the 161. 

• Like 2

Salbreth1

Would love to throw it together but something inside won’t let me. I can’t help making a project out of it. 

I could go custom and same some time. Maybe something like this...

70C4D66E-C1C4-4231-B897-2B6FB928E423.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1