Salbreth1

New here with a 418-C chassis

Salbreth1

Hello from Bennington Vermont. I picked up a 418-C on the curb and plan to build a stock class puller for my 6 year old. This one needs work as well as an engine but I’m excited for the restoration! 

sal

3432AEF9-5FDB-4419-8DE8-904169F219F1.jpeg

C7E88262-565E-4607-AA79-AFA73F620245.jpeg

59500FE7-A6E7-4B84-80F1-3AE084AC8B30.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

Welcome, You come to the right place. I spy a Black Hood in the back ground... what cha got there?

• Haha 1

Salbreth1

Along with the chassis there was a hood, steering column and front wheels and spindles for a C-161. I grabbed it all. This is my first horse so doing a lot of reading. I have the Eaton 1100 as well for the 418. Been degreasing for days. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

jay bee

:WRS:   If you have questions or need help, you're at the right place!!!

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Bennington is a beautiful area.

When you get that tractor up and running you will be very impressed with it's capabilities.

Keep at it.

Keep asking questions.

Keep us posted.

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

AMC RULES

787811653_RS-WelcomeWagon.jpg.fb3ba0aa90d34a2772af270fbdf978b6.jpg.b78f9ac9cb17301a3349c465da486364.jpg

953 nut
8 hours ago, Salbreth1 said:

I picked up a 418-C on the curb and plan to build a stock class puller for my 6 year old

:WRS:

Lucky son and lucky Dad.  Building a bond and lasting memories with your son is wonderful thing. The "C" in 418-C stands for commercial, they have larger front wheel bearings and tend to be a bit faster than other :wh: hydros. 

If you have questions this is the place to come.

• Like 1

Salbreth1

Thanks for the welcome! Gets me motivated! I’ll have a lot of questions for sure. I’m guessing I should start a new thread in restorations. 

• Like 1

PeacemakerJack

Welcome to best :wh: forum on the planet!  Very cool to see that you are going to make use of that 418-C.  That tractor is pretty special to me as my son owns one and we have done a lot on it over the last few years as a project tractor.  My son cuts lawn with it weekly this time of year...

You can read all about our on going adventure here—should you so choose.  

The 418-C is a unique one year only production tractor.  They are tough and made to work.  If I was going to build one for pulling, I’d probably save the hydro rear end for yard duties and outsource a HD :wh: gear drive rear with limited slip differential.  I have one in my plow mule (314-8) and I love the traction it is capable of.  You have found a great community of guys and if you hang around here too long, prepare to own more “horses” just ask @Greentored or @pullstart 😎

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave:

I have no idea what @PeacemakerJack is talking about.  What is multiplying?

Here’s a quick vid of some of my collection...  more have showed up since then even :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Salbreth1

Wow pullstart, that is a legit collection! I like screamin jimmy. 

I read the jackrabbit threat a couple weeks ago, actually bookmarked it. Great thread and great pictures!

i was debating about the hydro vs the 8 speed for pulling. It seems the the hydro would work for the 950lb class to start up here, but I don’t want to burn it either. I don’t know the history the 1100 but the oil came out clean when I drained it. 

I need to start a thread before this one becomes official. 

• Like 3

PeacemakerJack
15 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

I need to start a thread before this one becomes official. 

That happens A LOT around here:rolleyes: :D

16 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

I read the jackrabbit threat a couple weeks ago, actually bookmarked it. Great thread and great pictures! 

:text-thankyoublue: we have enjoyed the process for sure and Caleb has learned much about mechanical things and the father/son time is great!

17 minutes ago, Salbreth1 said:

i was debating about the hydro vs the 8 speed for pulling. It seems the the hydro would work for the 950lb class to start up here, but I don’t want to burn it either.

I met a guy a few years ago that was a 950lb class puller and had a whole wall of trophies.  He won most of them with a hydro Cub Cadet 682.  Ultimately, he told me that many guys told him it was impossible to win GT pulling with a hydro but I guess he proved them wrong.  He said you need a strong hydro and then you need to know how to “load it up” as you are staged and in the first 20 feet or so.  “If you can find that sweet spot,” he told me, “you can outpull any comparable gear drive.”  I don’t know what to think about it but I was standing there looking at his trophies.🤔. I’ll definitely follow along when you get a thread started.  I’m gonna TAG a couple of guys that have a bunch of GT pulling experience with :wh:‘s and hopefully they can give you more insight

@stevebo and @fast88pu

• Like 1

Salbreth1

New thread will be in the wheel horse tractor section. 

• Like 1

Greentored
On 6/27/2020 at 9:54 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

........and if you hang around here too long, prepare to own more “horses” just ask @Greentored or @pullstart 😎

This man speaks the truth!:lol: They literally took over my back shop 'party room' in a matter of a few weeks, and my worker machines aren't even in the pic.

You found the best place and best group of folks for helping you along on your build!

You found the worst place if you only intend on having one:lol:

barn1.jpg

• Haha 1

fast88pu
On June 27, 2020 at 11:08 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

That happens A LOT around here:rolleyes: :D

:text-thankyoublue: we have enjoyed the process for sure and Caleb has learned much about mechanical things and the father/son time is great!

I met a guy a few years ago that was a 950lb class puller and had a whole wall of trophies.  He won most of them with a hydro Cub Cadet 682.  Ultimately, he told me that many guys told him it was impossible to win GT pulling with a hydro but I guess he proved them wrong.  He said you need a strong hydro and then you need to know how to “load it up” as you are staged and in the first 20 feet or so.  “If you can find that sweet spot,” he told me, “you can outpull any comparable gear drive.”  I don’t know what to think about it but I was standing there looking at his trophies.🤔. I’ll definitely follow along when you get a thread started.  I’m gonna TAG a couple of guys that have a bunch of GT pulling experience with :wh:‘s and hopefully they can give you more insight

@stevebo and @fast88pu

I'd swap out the hydro for a 1 1/8" 8 pinion and run a kohler 12hp. It would be a good start for the 950lb class. Also get a copy of your local pulling club rules before you start building.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1