Achto

Let's see your repurpose project

Dan.gerous

Getting braver with the welder.

It's made out of an old basket of some sort that had a three point linkage on it, which I cut off. The orange handle is from my ship, it used to be part of our old lifeboats that have been replaced. 

Forgot to mention, it's for the electric fence wire. I forget how much we use but it's miles and miles and miles....

IMG_20210424_120410.jpg

IMG_20210424_120419.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

WHX??

That's using the ole "noodle" for something other than a hat rack Sylvia! :lol:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

sjoemie himself
3 hours ago, Maxwell-8 said:

old Wheelchair that is electric

Since this was some sort of wheel chair and you use it for Wheel Horse parts the lift should from now on be named "Wheel Hoist"

Oh.. and please paint it red :happy-jumpgreen:

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Maxwell-8
16 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Since this was some sort of wheel chair and you use it for Wheel Horse parts the lift should from now on be named "Wheel Hoist"

Oh.. and please paint it red :happy-jumpgreen:

I will do that!:D

It has 4 wheels, so the the name is appropriate 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
23 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

And the crate holds ammo, ear protection etc… 

Nice! :bow-blue:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Ok here's one for you guys ... and it involves a :wh:

This was a box that I put in service vans between the seats. It had channels for hanging file folders like a filing cabinet. A clip on the underside of the lid. Was meant to be a mobile desk for work orders and such. All the techs did was fill it full of junk tho.

Turned it into a ballast box for the FEL I got from @cschannuth. Wanted to mount it in a fashion to use the suitcases he let go with the tractor but @Achto says do this and use the weights for the front of a plow mule or something. Glad I listen to him and not my wife. :lol:

Will be filling with concrete leaving 6 inches or so on the top for lifting chains, tools or whatnot. 

20211010_094639.jpg

20220312_131136.jpg

20220312_131143.jpg

20220312_131149.jpg

20220313_111756.jpg

Edited by WHX??
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 6

wallfish
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

box that I put in service vans between the seats

Good Idea. And yup, they just get filled with crap in the vans as I have 2

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

WHX??

Actually I used it alot before the computer age as everything we now! Still got filled up with crap tho! 

The extension out the back is a spreader bar for the clamp on forks and just used as a mock up 'till I can source a piece and fab a hitch of sorts. 

Edited by WHX??
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Built another electric fence reel out of scraps.

The ends are lids off oil drums, the frame is made up from drinking troughs I made last year that we decided weren't suitable. The shaft and bearings are bits I collected for the trommel project - finally used them! 

It's hand operated like the previous one posted in this topic.

Was a fun days project and is now out in the feild being used.

20220419_112549.jpg

20220419_142026.jpg

20220419_150432.jpg

• Like 7

Dan.gerous

Got asked to make a drinks holder for the ships bar, they needed somewhere for some guiness glasses to settle after pouring. Ashore you could just leave them, but on a rolling ship they would soon be knocked over.

Thought that just making a square with four glass sized holes would be a bit boring.

Found a broken chair in the bar and used it to make the glass holder.

It was awkward due to the shapes involved, but I'm happy with the results. The chair was pulled out of the skip, so at least it wasn't totally wasted.

20220311_123504.jpg

20220311_123529.jpg

20220304_223934.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 6

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Thought that just making a square with four glass sized holes would be a bit boring.

Found a broken chair in the bar and used it to make the glass holder.

It was awkward due to the shapes involved, but I'm happy with the results

Your excessive use of repurposed materials is excellent. 

"A bit boring" he says..

Why be normal??

Very nice work Sir.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Your excessive use of repurposed materials is excellent. 

"A bit boring" he says..

Why be normal??

Very nice work Sir.  

I grew up in a poor isolated area of NZ, so we learnt to make do with things, then 10 years living in the remote Falklands fine tuned that!

Plus you get great satisfaction from making something for as close to nothing as possible :-)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

I grew up in a poor isolated area of NZ, so we learnt to make do with things, then 10 years living in the remote Falklands fine tuned that!

Plus you get great satisfaction from making something for as close to nothing as possible :-)

Absolutely agreed. 

You should see how many times Trina can reuse a board. 

I wish I was kidding.....😂

• Haha 4

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Absolutely agreed. 

You should see how many times Trina can reuse a board. 

I wish I was kidding.....😂

Its a skill, so many people cant imagine anything other than what its original purpose was - us lateral thinkers keep the world turning.

Lol Trina sounds very thrifty!

• Like 4

Dan.gerous

Next project....

Last Christmas secret santa aboard the ship.

Wasn't sure what to do, then had a brain wave and went down the dock in Shetland to see if any of its concrete structure has been chipped off. As luck would have it, the perfect bit was laying next to the ship.

Took it back with a big smile, another little project was about to begin.

As a footnote, out of 35 crew I was the only one to handmake something. Everyone else just brought tat.

20211217_204143.jpg

• Like 2

Dan.gerous

A bit of work with a diamond cutting blade on a grinder soon had it knocked into a useable shape. 

What a mess though!

20211224_180321.jpg

20211224_180332.jpg

20211224_180340.jpg

20211224_180338.jpg

• Like 2

bc.gold
On 6/25/2020 at 11:34 AM, bc.gold said:

Back in the 1960's it was illegal for the natives to sell fish from their catch, fisheries even insisted the dorsal fin be removed from any native fish as soon as it was removed from the net.

Sockeye at $3.00 a fish the demand and the incentive were both there, the travelling fish salesman would purchase a junker vehicle fro a few hundred dollars to make fish delivery's, should a native be caught in transit selling both the fish and vehicle along would be impounded.

These old junkers were often referred to as fish wagons.

My 97 Dodge Ram recently purchased was taken in for a pre-inspection, $1200.00 in parts and counting, the headlights had moisture inside and would not pass. At two hundred a light we're not going to add this to the final tally  of putting a fish wagon into service.

I'm not selling fish but in reality this 97 Dodge Ram fits the designation of fish wagon, disposable vehicle.

The glue used on the clear plastic lens has let go in places, JB weld is fluid enough to run into the voids, had I used a vacuum source to pull the JB weld into place, I'm sure the final seal would have been 100%.

To hasten removal of moisture I added about 1 ounce of methanol to each light, the shook it around before dumping it out then used my heat gun to evaporate the alcohol.

A bit of toothpaste on a damp cloth polished most of the haze out from the clear lens.

light1.png

light2.png

light3.png

light4.png

Almost two years later, JB weld still doing a good job of keeping water out of the headlights, still driving the same beater - she's been to British Columbia twice.

• Like 4

Dan.gerous

And finally the finished product.

The wood came from a truck trailer holder on our car deck.

Made a faux Chinese manual for it, which I think is quite funny but a bit rude maybe for here. Also custom made box and labels.

All done in a 48 hour last minute panic :-)

For reference, our terminal in Shetland is called "Holmgarth Dock" so this was just a massive play on words, and I thought it be nice once the recipient retires to have a bit of history from his 30 years on this service.

20211225_071335.jpg

20211225_071356.jpg

20211225_071404.jpg

20211227_180255.jpg

20211227_180314.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 4

Dan.gerous

One of the young guys onboard is leaving us, he joined from school and we trained him up. Been saying for years that this is an old man's job and that he should go see the world - and really happy he is going. Sad to say goodbye as he is great guy, but it's the best thing for him.

Anyway, I got to thinking he needs a present to remind him of 5 years on this ship.

Have been scratching about and found some components to turn into a lamp.

Hopefully it will all come together, although the items in the photograph probably don't look like much!

20220506_114912.jpg

• Like 2

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Have been scratching about and found some components to turn into a lamp.

Hopefully it will all come together, although the items in the photograph probably don't look like much!

A can of something flammable and a piece of pipe.

How could that possibly not be turned into a lamp.....???

Dan.gerous
50 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A can of something flammable and a piece of pipe.

How could that possibly not be turned into a lamp.....???

So the idea is to use the flange to weld a bit of that pipe to, gives a good solid base. The sounding tape will then sit vertically in the pipe somehow, and then I was thinking of using the paint tin as a lamp shade.

Not sure yet, but want to use as much junk as possible from the actual ship. He often ends up on tank sounding duty, little brass plugs all over the deck that house tubes  the tape uses to access our ballast and void tanks - a mind numbingly tedious job.

We do a LOT of painting, so something paint related would be nice to incorporate.

Just chucking ideas about, but Im sure in a panic that it will all suddenly come together like usual!

My favourite stewardess left a few months ago to have a baby, so I made her a stuffed teddy bear, this will have to at least be a similar effort!

• Heart 1

Dan.gerous

Here is the last leaving present - so I have set the bar high enough, dammit!

Nothing reused, it was all new materials so technically doesn't count.  I did cut the box down from a much bigger one, and the Nappy is a disposable towel thing from a passenger cabin.

IMG_20210914_203835.jpg

IMG_20211115_035203.jpg

IMG_20211115_035248.jpg

IMG_20211115_035352.jpg

IMG_20211115_035446.jpg

IMG_20211115_035458.jpg

IMG_20211115_035319.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous

So this is probably the stand, guess will stick something to the top for the light holder and lamp shade. Then figure out how to make the cable look good, and then hopefully that will be good enough.

20220506_181531[1].jpg

• Like 2