Flat Thunder Channel

Generator Head/AC Power

Flat Thunder Channel

Anyone have creative ideas / designs for building an economical generator for 520 tractor?  I have always wanted one and contemplated building one a time or two before.  I have only found a few used models over the last 20 years.  Recently saw a new old stock unit on a tractor on Instagram.  It was pretty awesome!

• Like 2

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

• Like 1

Tractorhead

I think i can remember in the classified section was a Genny, but it was few moons ago.

Maybe someone have a Generator for sale.

If i would have such a need, i would search for an used combined genny with a defect Engine.

Remove all the Engine parts, built an Mounting plate where the Genny can be hooked up

and search for a taper pulley, that fits on the axle.

Try to calculate the right rpm speed when the Horse engine is in about 2/3 speed, to have enough reserves 

in revning up while under Load.

if the rotation direction must be changed, simply use a Jackshaft.

So the belt can used with PTO Clutch to start the Genny.

another advance, on most Genny‘s there are plugs and safetyswitches be mounted.

WHX??

I had one that I traded to @953 nut for a seat. It came with a 520 score and I am already genny heavy so good trade. . It had a bracket that clipped to the front attach. The bracket on the right I don't know what the other bracket was for never futzed with it.  Maybe use a old snow blower attach with a mounting plate like the MN boys do with their plow weights??? A mule drive worked over and modded? 

Here's another one to wrap yer head around... a front mounted air compressor! I'm sure that's been done before and maybe saw a piece of old :wh: where it was an option. 

20151114_180247 (2).jpg

20151114_180202 (2).jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Flat Thunder Channel
15 hours ago, Racinbob said:

This looks like it would be a good start. I've seen a couple of guys fabricate a mount similar to a factory unit. :)

https://www.harborfreight.com/10000-watts-max-7200-watts-rated-belt-driven-generator-head-45416.html

I think I went down this road when I saw these generator heads while roaming around HF.  I question any electronics from Harbor Freight (aka The Chinese outlet mall).  It might work great not for sure.  Has anyone used these generator heads before?

I have an old Powerchief generator.  It works amazing, but it's a bear to move.  My best approach is to drag it and or two wheel cart it around.  Always seems like my two wheel cart is buried behind something.  I used it yesterday for the first time this year.  Started on the first pull.  Now that's quality!

@WHX24The manual shared is awesome!!! Thanks for posting.  I never knew an air compressor attachment existed.  These are such unique/universal tractors. 😁👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Your :text-welcomewave:Flats.... I like looking at the prices. A complete loader for a little over 500 bucks!?!?! 30 for a ballast box!?!?

Wouldn't buy you just  the steel for the bucket now days! 

• Like 1

Flat Thunder Channel

I talked to my neighbor yesterday.  He is a wheelhorse fan too.  We talked about the generator project.  In our discussion he offered up a generator head from his old unit.  The motor still works but the generator stopped making power.  He is going to keep the engine, but said I could have the generator.  If I am lucky I can repair the generator head and have good unit for the Wheelhorse mount.  I was thinking about this project over the last couple days.  I would like to mount it so it does not impede the functionality of the tractor.  I'll have to see how large this thing is first.  Ideally I could operate the mower, snow blade, and open the hood without lifting the genset off.  We will see how it goes. 🤔

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Generators are heavy.  leaving it on while trying to mow or what ever you will find the steering very very hard.

• Like 1

bc.gold

Years ago arranged the rental of a small portable welder over the phone then when i had showed up at the rental place thought  the welder was a JOKE. It was a Delco automotive alternator running off a small single cylinder gas engine.

Built a steel deck and mounted a pto style Braden winch most of the welds were very long runs, using 7018 rod this little welder never failed to perform.

You''ll find plenty of tube vids out there showing how to convert a Delco into a welder.

This video is of interest as i shows the alternator running universal power tools.

• Like 1

Flat Thunder Channel
On 6/29/2020 at 9:41 AM, pfrederi said:

Generators are heavy.  leaving it on while trying to mow or what ever you will find the steering very very hard.

Good point!  I will have to see how large the generator head is.  Inverter generators are tiny, but i have no idea what this unit is.  I know it is a 'freebie'!  If i can fix it great.  If it can't be readily fixed it will go in the scrap hopper.  :)