Mows4three

Vintage Drill Press Identification

Mows4three

Can anyone identify the maker of this drill press?   It was gifted to me after being taken out of service at a local fabrication shop.  No readable maker’s plates, badges, labels, serial number plates or other visible clues. 

It has no appreciable run out and will make a valuable addition to my blacksmith shop.   I’d just really like to know who made it.  

I have considered the usual suspects of Delta, Rockwell, Walker-Turner, and Buffalo Forge, but the belt pulley cover on this drill press has a very unique “crest” on the front and profile to it.  

Your suggestions would be appreciated, as always!

Thanks!

Dave

34BBBD2C-AE59-45D1-A149-DAC19B8C67A5.jpeg

85A7F7D5-65D6-4BDA-9166-193B1E3C3C1C.jpeg

C4A900B9-F6BD-44F2-99BE-DBFD1DADD9F0.jpeg

CDED6E03-258F-4D5B-B559-78572F212C21.jpeg

Edited by Mows4three
  • Excellent 1

Mickwhitt

I will have a Google around and see if I can come up with a maker for you.

Looks like a useful piece of kit.

Mick 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

Ed Kennell

See the source imageMay be an early Delta?

• Heart 1

Mows4three

Thanks Mick!    

I tried my best under several search titles to find an image match, but I did not find any that look exactly the same.  I’ve also searched and visited several old tool sites on the web.   No luck, just yet.

I’m no good at using Google Images.   Perhaps that might be the best route to go for identification.  You help would be appreciated!

Funny, but it has a badge on the front of the drill press facing the user, but it looks like it may have been screen printed and it’s long ago been erased by oils, solvents or just handling over the years.  EB in Maine pointed out that it looks like an industrial design from the 40s or 50s.  

Cheers!

Dave

Mows4three

Ed, 

That was my first inclination.   However, the badge is different than on any of the Delta’s I have seen.   The pattern of the vertical veining on the front of the belt and pulley cover as well as the profile of the belt and pulley cover differ from a Delta.  

It is a stumper, for sure.   But man, is it solid.   I think it has an old 1/2 HP Emerson motor on it.  I have to carefully pull back the paint on the service plate to see exactly what it says.  

Take care Ed!

Dave

cafoose

Maybe a Frankenpress based on a Delta :eusa-think: It has a lot of similarities with a Delta.

formariz

It is a Craftsman from the early 40's manufactured by Atlas. Usually they have that cover but without the Art-Deco decoration. Pretty rare cover to see.

• Like 4

formariz

That type cover existed for only a short time. Although I cannot verify that, it looks like Sears would have manufacturers make machinery for them a little different than others sold to someone else. Much of Sears stuff always had unique features that distinguished them from all others. Atlas actually started making drill presses specifically for Sears. One piece covers also were not around for too long since they were inconvenient to remove to access belts and pulleys although manufacturers like Walker Turner offered them until much later.Cast covers like that also would break easily when dropped. Between being removed, lost, and breaking that is the reason most old drill presses do not have their covers. Although those drill presses occasionally show up for sale, to find one with a cover, specially that cover is indeed very rare.It may be from as early as 1935. That motor is a replacement.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, formariz said:

Although I cannot verify that, it looks like Sears would have manufacturers make machinery for them a little different than others sold to someone else. Much of Sears stuff always had unique features that distinguished them from all others

I've heard/read/noticed the same thing over the years.

Seems to me a marketing issue.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I figured our tool guy, @formariz would know something about it!! Pretty cool looking press and a great one to restore! 

Randy

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

And here it is in a catalogue...

1635228651_Screenshot_20200605-221753_SamsungInternet.jpg.678fe5fe3e6348077666523dbd3f089b.jpgThe larger belt guard is shown as a production item to satisfy your health and safety codes.

Could not have found that information without Cas pointing the way.

Mick 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

formariz

The one that @Mows4three got is actually even rarer than the floor model. It also has the very rare base with the flange in it. I have seen a few floor models of that type but only have seen two of the bench top this one included.

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

I use the machinery archive at www.lathes.co.uk to find machine details.

It has all manner of manufacturers machines on there, not just lathes.

Quite a reference source if you're looking for details and manuals.

Mick 

• Excellent 1

formariz
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

I use the machinery archive at www.lathes.co.uk to find machine details.

It has all manner of manufacturers machines on there, not just lathes.

Quite a reference source if you're looking for details and manuals.

Mick 

Great site with incredible detailed information. Great resolution on the old printed stuff also. :thumbs:

Mows4three

Hey guys!    Thanks a million for the ID on the drill press.   I am extremely happy with it so far.   It apparently only got incedental use over the years since this place was a production shop that had some big machines in it.   

My buddy, who gave it to me, will be equally impressed that you were able to come up with the maker so quickly.   We looked for several weeks in every forum and web site we could find.   Just didn’t find the right site!   

Big double thumbs up to Formariz and Mickwhitt.   Really appreciate you tracking this info down for us.

Cheers!

Dave

Edited by Mows4three
  • Like 1

Mickwhitt

Tony griffiths who runs the lathes site spent years collecting old machine manuals and catalogues.

He would borrow them from tool dealers and copy them for the site.

He also sells copies of manuals for many machines.

I have a few for the machines in my shop and they are great quality. 

The archive keeps on getting larger and there are some really obscure makers on there now.

Glad you like it Cas.

Mick 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1