953 nut

Hope your reopening Phase 2 is going better than ours!

953 nut

Until last week our little rural mountain county had only 4 diagnosed cases of Coronavirus, those were all people who had traveled to New York City just prior to the pandemic. These people have all recovered. We had two more positive cases Monday (not too surprising) then twenty one on Wednesday (all had attended the same wedding reception with several out of town guests. We had forty two more today. All of the ones from today are associated with the group of twenty one, but who knows how many others will be discovered as the Health Department follows up on people that they encountered.

This Coronavirus is for real,  Stay home if you can, stay safe if you can't. We all enjoy celebrating and socializing but for now the risk is too high.

• Like 6
  • Sad 10

JCM

Stopped by the local WH dealer today to order a few items for several tractors and put on my mask and only one other elderly gentleman was wearing a mask and no one else. Maine is a very large state as you all know and to date 2226 cases and 85 deaths. Some people just don't get it.

• Like 3

JAinVA

We will get to 1300 deaths here in Va by Monday, I'm afraid.Gloucester has only 30 confirmed cases and has been stable at that level for almost a month although I don't know why.When we go out 80 percent of the people here aren't wearing masks and only 1 in fifty have gloves on.Most of my purchases come through UPS or the USPS and they all get isolated outside for at least 10 days.That sure slows down projects but so far knock on wood.I feel that like a lot of you, man this drill is getting old.

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

@JAinVA Jim you are out in the country, wish I was , here in the medium size city we have many confirmed cases and a lot of deaths if you count Henrico County ( 51 at one nursing home ) It is hit or miss on most of the population wearing masks or gloves . Most don't, I don't leave the house without a mask. My mother is currently under going Rehab at a local hospital , she is only allowed one visitor a day. The VA hospital has a no visitor policy .   I have to have a minor procedure in August which requires anesthesia and I have to have a Covid 19 test 2 days prior.  The Va is using telephone visits as much as possible.  I wish people would get their heads out of their behinds and try to stay safe instead of the "I will not get it " attitude .   

• Like 1
  • Heart 2

JAinVA

Glad to hear you are well enough to post.I have to go to UVA in November for a cat scan so I can only imagine what that will be like.The cancer center there already had masked patients roaming around before Covid.

elcamino/wheelhorse

I hope by November the country has a better handle on  Covid 19 and is close to having a vaccine . I try to stay away from people as much as possible  but we have to have groceries and Rx for Helen so that means a trip to the drug store at least twice a month. Can't visit my grand daughters as their mother is a surgical nurse at MCV . Poor girl is scare to death that she is going to catch it. 

JAinVA

Bev and i get all our meds by mail so groceries are about all we go out for.Hope your daughter inlaw stays healthy.I can only imagine her fears.These are some tough times.

Stepney

We had quite a large mob of people here in Wells, ME this morning protesting shutdowns over the pandemic.. 

Right in my town nearly, I'm quite sure we'll see an increase here soon enough.

I was grabbing WH stuff at the local hardware. Traffic was backed up a solid quarter mile, the cars had filled two large lots, the hardware lot, and were on the street..

I can think of no PG words to describe my thoughts on that one. Sister works in the now-COVID wing of a hospital. While not everything we are told is on the level.. it is for sure no joke.

Stormin

It's as bad over here in the UK. We're having really good weather and you should see the crowds on the beaches. I live out in the sticks in a little hamlet. We only go out for necessities.

There's been quite an out cry these last few  days, concerning our prime ministers chief adviser. Broke lock down rules and drove 260 miles to his parents with his wife and son. He's got away with it as well. :angry-teeth:

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, JCM said:

. Some people just don't get it.

Agreed.

2 days ago I stopped at a convenience store for lunch. 

There were 5 or 7 outside at the pumps and I was the 5th (max 5 in most stores) headed inside.

2 folks behind the counter and I were wearing a mask.

No

One

Else.

We're going to be reopening the state in many ways the next few weeks.

Maine is extremely dependant on tourism.

People entering the state on non-essential business are being asked to self quarantine for 14 days.

Asked.

No enforcement or even questioning except at health care facilities.

7 hours ago, Stepney said:

I'm quite sure we'll see an increase here

Yeahhhhhh....

Just do your best to take care of yourselves.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Norm is right, here in the uk people were getting fed up already, but when the advisor didnt even say sorry, well no one is interested in following the guidelines.

The track and trace will be worthless and we will hit a second wave anytime soon. 

I will concentrate on keeping myself and mine safe, the ones with less sense that they were born with are on their own.

Tractorhead

I was today shopping for few Parts at a local Hardware Dealer about 20Km far,

On the Way to that store i see mass of Bicicles all without Masks, 

doing together a Break closer than 0,5 meters. The whole crowd be about 30 Peoples. 
I doubt that they all are Family what was allowed.

So No words

When i go into that Store, the Guy on the counter wearing a Mask.  Exemplary

i don‘t wear a mask, i use my Motocycle banda’s what did the same job.
That is more simple to use for me and the Mask will not protect yourself, it protects the others,

except you have a Special FFP3 mask, but then breathing is really hard.

Few minutes later an Young Guy completely without any mask enters the 
Store and the Counter Guy told him please wear a Mask or a Banda, like i do.

He mentioned he don‘t like to wear a mask, everything about Corona will just be a Panic attack by the News.
The Guy behind the counter repeats several times, please wearing a mask or leave the Store.
just a laugh..

Then the Guy behind the Counter picked the phone and call the Police.
While this happens, the young Guy begins to give him names i don‘t wanna comment here.
The whole situation begins to exceed between them both, but the Counter guy allway‘s be friendly.

I slightly go in the direction of that idiot and told him it‘s better to leave the store or wear a mask
and few others they in the store agrees loudly with me.

While he leaved the Store he screams things you don‘t wanna know or hear.
Even, „it could be possible his store burns within the next Day‘s“
ok, now i heared enough,  What an f**** Idiot - sorry

I noted his Licence plate and give it the Cops later.

Because we had several fires in the Past, i hope we captured this Fireevel with him.

I have absolutely no words for such Fool.

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

AMC RULES

Being reported here today, these are the states currently reporting new covid cases on the rise.20200530_100633.jpg.a0454c1899e28213891fb0fc8a1a0687.jpg

With new states being added every day, it doesn't appear to me that people are getting the message.

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

Being reported here today, these are the states currently reporting new covid cases on the rise.20200530_100633.jpg.a0454c1899e28213891fb0fc8a1a0687.jpg

Doesn't appear to me that people are getting the message.

Agreed

tom2p

the number of new cases will possibly and probably rise in many areas as the shut downs are lifted 

very likely in some areas - and expected 

• Sad 1

adsm08

I don't buy it.

1) We know media outlets over-hype everything for ratings because that is how they keep you watching and that is how they make their money.

2) We know the government lies to us, and we have already caught them in multiple lies about COVID death numbers.

3) We don't usually find things when we aren't looking.

I admit that this is a new disease that is dangerous to a small subset of the population. But it is not deadly to the vast majority of individuals, and most of the people it would be deadly to already know who they are and can take appropriate actions to protect themselves that don't significantly impact the rest of the population and our ability to go about our lives.

Beyond that I have been following CDC number reporting for weeks now. In the beginning this looked extremely deadly because we only knew about the most severe cases, and had no idea how to treat the disease at all. Neither of those things are true anymore. As wide-scale infection and serology testing have become available and our asymptomatic and recovered numbers go up and we weed out the false death numbers (like the guy who had COVID but drank himself to death, or the guy who didn't and got hit by a bus but it was still listed as a "contributing factor" in both cases) we are starting to get a more complete picture. The last set of numbers I saw out of CDC suggested that the total mortality rate across all age groups was approximately .26%, with the vast majority of those deaths being among people aged 70+, and most of THOSE deaths were in nursing homes or assisted living facilities, which are always hotspots for communicable diseases.

What the hard numbers we do have are starting to boil down to is that this thing is no worse, and possibly not even as bad as, a standard issue strain of Influenza, its just new, which is scary to most people, and the manner in which is kills you (in the statistically rare instance it does) is slightly more unpleasant.

Also to be considered is the total effect of masking. What data we do have suggests that at best it my somewhat hinder the ability of an infected individual to transmit the disease in semi-close contact situations. Beyond 6 feet it does nothing, at less than 3 feet it also likely does nothing. Studies with Influenza (the closest viral analog we actually have comprehensive data on) suggests even in the 3-6 feet range masking may do nothing to inhibit transmission.

Things we do know masking does:

1) Keeps your crap close up to your face and in your respiratory tract increasing your likelihood of developing other viral respiratory infections.

A) Since the olfactory nerves are in your nose and connect directly to your brain it increases the potential for said viral infections to reach the brain

2) Lowers blood oxygen levels

3) Has you touching your face more, leading again to increased risk of exposure.

While a lot of government agencies are recommending or even requiring masking many individual doctors are recommending against it. Frankly, it needs to be left as a personal choice. If you think it's better, go ahead. However you should not be telling others that they have to, nor shaming, threatening, harassing, etc. other individuals for not doing so. In fact if you are that convinced that masks are so important to stopping the spread of this virus (the data I have seen has failed to convince me personally) then scientifically the best thing you can do when you encounter someone in public not wearing a mask is to not confront them, not engage them, and give them as wide a berth as possible. It may be that they have a medical issue that prevents the wearing of a mask, and possibly even puts them at higher risk for serious effects of COVID and by coming in close to engage them about their not masking you are putting them at greater risk if you are a non-symptomatic contagious individual. Best practice is to assume they have a medical restriction and keep your distance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

shallowwatersailor

We had the Coronavirus test available here in town last week for 250 people first come/first served on the 20th. Mrs. Sailor's sister drove over and was tested. She has been staying in the house with little if any exposure since March. Her test came back negative. But six people out of 250 came back positive being asymptomatic with one being symptomatic showing symptoms. If we hadn't had the test available that seven could have increased in number exponentially. Hopefully those seven have quarantined themselves and are not running around possibly infecting others.

This last week I ventured out to my first store in about two months. I needed a new hedge trimmer so went to to my local Ace Hardware that is a Stihl dealer. Only a few people in the store and just random observation for wearing masks it was about 50%, including me. Tried to talk to the floor employee but he wasn't wearing a mask. Cut it short and walked out without buying anything!. I noticed that none of the employees were wearing masks. I figured I would try a different dealer seeing as the Co-Op that owns the store doesn't care about my health. Ironically our governor (the only sitting governor that is a doctor) signed a new order effective yesterday that requires mask wearing inside any public building by anyone over 10 years of age. Employees are required to wear a mask or the business can lose their license. I'm not really interested in making a field trip to check compliance though.  :)   After all this, I finally checked my old battery-powered hedge trimmer again this morning instead of making a trip out to buy a new one. I really wanted to buy a new one! Turns out that it is actually the battery charger (normally the battery pack) that died. Quick order on Prime and should have it Monday. The A/C tech is coming Tuesday so I want to trim the bushes back for better airflow. So I will carry on with the 14 year old B&D hedge trimmer. That Stihl HS 46 C-E sure looked sweet though!

• Like 4

adsm08
12 minutes ago, tom2p said:

the number of new cases will possibly and probably rise in many areas as the shut downs are lifted 

very likely in some areas - and expected 

The number of new confirmed cases will certainly rise as testing continues. We don't find things in placed that we don't look for them.

shallowwatersailor

It amazes me the number of people who are like my brother, an avid Fox watcher. He still claims it isn't any worse than the annual flu. The annual flu season starts in October and runs to May. The highest mortality number has been 67,000. With the Coronavirus, it has been infecting here in the USA since March and is over 100,000 (still climbing) since then. Nope, I don't think so.

We cannot forget that there is no vaccine - and no treatment available yet for the coronavirus. Contrary to what some believe, we are not getting the second spike yet. This is still the first influx traveling across the whole country. It is now reaching into the nooks and crannies of our country. Think of us being in the second inning of a nine inning ball game. All we are currently doing  is keeping the number of infected down to not overwhelm our health system. Simple as that.

We are not developing herd immunity like Sweden thought they could. Sweden was hoping for more than 70% of the population  to develop antibodies to combat the virus but after their "experiment" now has the highest mortality rate in Europe with only 7% of the population having developed the antibodies required. The virus has shown to not only target those with pre-existing conditions but can infect anyone to various degrees. How many survivors now have other chronic medical issues left from combating the virus.

I am sure that family members of the 100,000 that have died take this seriously.

• Like 5

squonk

Ignoring the virus and blowing it off is for dummies.

• Like 9

Cvans
27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

So what you are saying is the young healthy people have no responsibility for their actions that may endanger others who may be more susceptible

The mind set is that the people not wearing masks think they don't need one and that's fine. The right mind set is I need you to wear one because you don't know if your spreading the disease or not and I don't want you giving it to me, thank you very much. If your not selfish the proof is on your face were everyone can see it. 

27 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

If I were to come down with the virus I would probably survive it, but chances are it would be passed on to my wife before I became aware of it and she wouldn't be as likely to make it.

Richard you and I are in the same situation. Sometimes it seems like a hassle to put the mask on but then I think of my wife slowly suffocating to death and suddenly the mask seems like a real good idea.  

Edited by Cvans
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

AMC RULES

I think wearing a mask while you're out in public clearly shows, you're considerate of yourself and others

or, you're not.

It's just that simple.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 3

shallowwatersailor

Wearing a mask is basically a hygiene issue. Most locales, states, and the Federal Government have laws pertaining to a person controlling transmission of disease. That is one reason why we are required to get vaccinations as a child. A simplified analogy is if you remember a few years ago with the HIV crisis, there would be stories of a carrier spitting on someone or police officer while being apprehended for an alleged crime. The mask wearing is an updated version only this time we may be the carrier.

I saw a young lady on TV yesterday that was in Virginia. Her comment to the reporter over Governor Northam's rule on wearing a mask inside buildings was "Why do we have to do this three months later?" Duh! We have been on a Stay-At-Home order the three months. Where has she been??? Amazing what proprietors will do to circumvent the rule. One was offering water and Dum-Dum suckers for people shopping because you don't need to wear a mask while eating and drinking. That actually pertains to restaurants.

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Like 4

953 nut

:soapbox:         If a person with a walker is crossing the street at a designated crosswalk and the light changes to green while he is in the crosswalk the driver's RIGHTS to proceed on the green light do not extent to running the person over. The driver has some social responsibility to protect the lives of others.

If a person is asked to have face covering on when around others I feel it is their social responsibility to help protect the lives of others.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1