bnthere1213

Shredding belts on mower deck 0542

bnthere1213

Hello- First time here!  I have a 312-A tractor with a 42"deck model 0542, Great unit, but the mower deck is eating belts, gone thru 2 belts in 5 mowings.  .

I've taken the deck off, cleaned everything up, replaced the bearings on spindles, no knicks on pulleys, belts are not hitting anything while in motion.

At a loss as to what would cause the belts to shred. 

I was thinking of replacing the pulleys, can someone point me in the right direction for size / best place to get them. 

What could be causing this?

Thank you all for your help-

Paul

• Like 1

daveoman1966

Q:  Did you buy after-market belt(s) to save a few bux.  They are NOT designed for back-flexing and will not hold up.  OEM for 42" side deck is # 6738...about $21.  Q: is the deck belt tensioner  'floating bar' free to travel / float....not stuck? 

If the pulleys are NOT damaged and run true on the spindles without wobble, it is probably NOT the pulleys.  H0wever, if they...the middle one expecially...is bent, belts will not last long.

bnthere1213

I use oem belt,

the belt tensioner is free to float, can see it moving with mower engaged. 
i will have to look more closely at pulleys if they wobble, havent noticed it,  i may take some video of the pulleys to get better idea.  

Edited by bnthere1213

daveoman1966

Guess I should have asked...  Thot you had a side discharge 42" deck which is belt 6738 . 

Does the idler pulley on the belt tensioner spin freely?...without wobble.?  

bnthere1213

Yeah it is a side discharge,   There is a very small wobble on the idler pulley.

i just ordered all new pulleys (oem), hoping that is the issue.   There is no play in the spindles and they spin freely.   
i love this mower, ( after sitting in storage for the winter, with a fresh charge on battery started right up and running smooth, and built like a tank) but this belt issue is driving me nuts!  

squonk

I run a TSC belt on my 42" RD deck. 5 yrs.and still going. Same for the mule drive.

• Like 2

Tractorhead

I would check all bearings even them on the Spindles if they spin freely without interruptions and no wobble.

Also check each gaps, that the belt doesn‘t scratch anywhere..

if the Pulley‘s are stronger rusted, they could wear a belt a bit quicker than normal.

Are all pulley‘s in the contactarea of the Belt free of loosen rust or a stronger wear?

no dulls in any pulley‘s

That would be the issues i would start to investigate.

SPINJIM

Are the pulleys aligned with each other?  Are they all on the same plane?   If one pulley is as little as 1/4" higher than the others, that will chew up belts pretty quickly.

Lee1977

There are belt being sold advertised as for a Wheel Horse that just not quality belts that will hold together on a Wheel Horse.  All the information given above was for good belts, There is no magic way to make poor quality belts last on a Wheel Horse. 

peter lena

sounds very strange to me , should be a very obvious problem , we can  hash this back and forth , i would ask for a local to you ,horse owner to check out what you have . i have no belt shredding issues  at all. can you send us any pictures , mabey an alignment issue , or bad bearing ? pete

bnthere1213

I will be tackling the deck, hopefully next weekend once the new pulleys arrive.   
from what i can see, everything seems to be level.

thank you everyone, i will post pics next weekend when i have the unit apart.