Sign in to follow this  
N875ED

Steering Slop

N875ED

My 1988 312-8 has a rather sloppy steering system, with all of the apparent loss of motion at the sector gear/pinion at the bottom of the steering shaft. I took it apart and measured the relative diameters of the parts, and none are excessive in my opinion. (no holes ovalized more than .015"). Two questions:

1. Where do I find the Service Manual for this tractor. I searched the "Manuals" section for 30 minutes and could not find it.

2. Is there an adjustment of this joint with shims, etc. to remove this slop?

squonk

Did you pull the steering shaft ( from the steering wheel) out of the steering support block and inspect that hole? I always find these wallowed out. Plus those block mounts crack. You can add a shim on the fan gear to front shaft area.

• Like 1

pfrederi

Get some 3/4" shims and put them on the sector shaft (horizontal)  between the cotter pin and bracket to get rid of front to rear play.

• Like 2

N875ED

I ended up making two thin bushings from .015" brass shim stock, rolled to fit the diameters of the two shafts that go into the cast iron shaft support that is bolted to the frame (at the bottom of the steering column). Worked really well!

• Excellent 2

Lee1977

The bushingand upper support on the steering colum can cause loose steering. The fix is you have to remove the steerin wheel to fix it. Usually not too bad if the tractor has been stored inside.the fix is to install

Part no.6472 flange bearing. Fits good in the 312. Here Is a few pictures

Flange Beraing

SAM-1015.jpg

Bearing installed in my 312-8. I had a good used one os I used it.

SAM-0972.jpg

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1