Greentored

Lets build a K321 torque monster

Greentored

I can say there was absolutely NO bogging whatsoever- if the plow went deep six, it would come to a stop and the tires would just keep going. Definitely going to need to revamp the belt for more pulley wrap and tension, as I had to get my foot under the clutch pedal and pull up on it to keep from slipping and squealing. The tone of the engine is much deeper than the other machines with the exact same Kemp muffler, and strangely is much smoother and quieter, without the 'pop', even with all the compression. Vibration at idle actually seems maybe a bit worse than stock, but is MUCH smoother at rpm.

The most impressive thing I've noticed is fuel economy! I ran her all weekend, pulling the wagon for yard work, hauled 4 loads of rocks from the neighbors place, plowed and disc'd the garden, took multiple 'heat soak' yard rides, and took a nice trail ride at the end of it all. I started with just under a tank full, and it has a good 1/4 tank left...and I had to swap to the early, smaller metal tank in order to fit the starter/generator style setup in the chassis. Between the fuel economy and the smoother, less 'poppy' exhaust note, I think I may have accidentally built a pretty efficient engine.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

WHX??
20 minutes ago, Greentored said:

get my foot under the clutch pedal and pull up on it to keep from slipping

What size belt you running Green? Best to run a 5L belt but my stock 4L never slips so it may just be an adjustment to the clutch or a heavier spring. An all rubber belt may help. You should be able to tune it to the point where it will grab decently but plowing at full depth and that speed & power something is gonna give.   Especially if the tire/weights/soil conditions are in hook up mode. Ideally stock pullies would be best for plowing but figuring you would lose your trail ride speed. Perhaps a stock rear pully but a larger front for more belt wrap. Time for experimentation here. 

What transmission are you running? Thinking a six speed would be your best bet?? 

Sounds like you are getting the most for every drop of fuel. I can usually only plow for 30-40 minutes tops on a stock fuel tank. 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

Greentored
5 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

What size belt you running Green? Best to run a 5L belt but my stock 4L never slips so it may just be an adjustment to the clutch or a heavier spring. An all rubber belt may help. You should be able to tune it to the point where it will grab decently but plowing at full depth and that speed & power something is gonna give.   Especially if the tire/weights/soil conditions are in hook up mode. Ideally stock pullies would be best but figuring you would lose your trail ride speed. What transmission are you running? Thinking a six speed would be your best bet?? 

I normally run Tractor Supply blue kevlars on everything, but needed an 'in between' size, so had Oreillys drop one off to get me going. Its some cheap black lawn n garden belt, I used one on the trail bomber once and it was also a squealer. 

Running an 8 pinion 8 speed, and a 4.5" engine/4" trans pulley, 5/8 belt of course. Stock pulleys would be ideal, but the swap makes low range much more useful, and its fun to take a 'putt putt' trail ride at 7-8mph without winding it up much.

I have no plans to regularly plow at those speeds, it was about impossible to control and the furrows look like a 2nd grader was running the machine:lol:  It does a beautiful job in high range 1, running maybe 3-4mph.

What do you mean by "5L/4L"? Im not too knowledgeable when it comes to belt pitch and matching pulleys....

WHX??
1 minute ago, Greentored said:

Im not too knowledgeable when it comes to belt pitch

That's ok I'm not much for grinding cams! :lol:

5 or 4L refers to the top width of the belt. A 5 being 5/8" (technically 21/32) and a 4 is 1/2" The 5L is a much more beefier belt and any horse built after 67 will have one. You must have the correct wider width pullies to run a 5L. 

At the bottom of this chart shows the cross sectional dimensions of belts. You want to be in the HA or HB dims for whatever size pully you are running.  They do claim that some horses run a special pitch. 

23 minutes ago, Greentored said:

fun to take a 'putt putt' trail ride at 7-8mph without winding it up much.

Agreed! :D

Chart Belts Tractor drive.pdf Gf000204.pdf

• Thanks 1

AHS
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

I can say there was absolutely NO bogging whatsoever- if the plow went deep six, it would come to a stop and the tires would just keep going. Definitely going to need to revamp the belt for more pulley wrap and tension, as I had to get my foot under the clutch pedal and pull up on it to keep from slipping and squealing. The tone of the engine is much deeper than the other machines with the exact same Kemp muffler, and strangely is much smoother and quieter, without the 'pop', even with all the compression. Vibration at idle actually seems maybe a bit worse than stock, but is MUCH smoother at rpm.

The most impressive thing I've noticed is fuel economy! I ran her all weekend, pulling the wagon for yard work, hauled 4 loads of rocks from the neighbors place, plowed and disc'd the garden, took multiple 'heat soak' yard rides, and took a nice trail ride at the end of it all. I started with just under a tank full, and it has a good 1/4 tank left...and I had to swap to the early, smaller metal tank in order to fit the starter/generator style setup in the chassis. Between the fuel economy and the smoother, less 'poppy' exhaust note, I think I may have accidentally built a pretty efficient engine.

Well that’s what happens when you run Chevy parts in a Kohler engine!!😀👍 

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

AHS

I sure would love to try out that tractor with my snowblower on a foot of 33 degree snow!! My 2001 WH 12.5 Kohler command horizontal shaft OHV did it the past few winters, and more than once, I thought that she was going to spit a rod!! Now the duty is up to my 414!!👍😀 I routinely abuse my tractors with the snowblower, oh well!! It’s a Kohler, shell hold up..I think!!😀

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
On 8/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, Greentored said:

Head gasket swap complete and holding up. Not ideal plow conditions but here she is, digging Carolina clay. Forget nice, straight furrows at this speed, but wanted to see what she had.

Never plowed with a stock K321, I dunno, maybe they’d do just as well, will have to

let you guys be the judge. The stock K301 this replaced certainly would not throw sod like this. 
Overall pretty happy and hope you fellas enjoyed following along with some mad scientist shenanigans

beast mode !

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

tom2p

greent - appears to be a great runner 

how does it feel compared to the 520 you had ?

• Like 1

ebinmaine
45 minutes ago, AHS said:

I sure would love to try out that tractor with my snowblower on a foot of 33 degree snow!! My 2001 WH 12.5 Kohler command horizontal shaft OHV did it the past few winters, and more than once, I thought that she was going to spit a rod!! Now the duty is up to my 414!!👍😀 I routinely abuse my tractors with the snowblower, oh well!! It’s a Kohler, shell hold up..I think!!😀

You'll be a lot happier with that 414

It will have noticeably more torque than the 12.5

• Like 2

Greentored
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

greent - appears to be a great runner 

how does it feel compared to the 520 you had ?

Tough call with the 520 being a hydro and this being an 8 speed. That big Onan wouldn’t even break a sweat, but some of that may be credited to the hydro too- hard to bog a hydro down. 
Shes strong, but if someone hooked a chain between them, I think the 520 would drag this all over the yard haha. 
The original plan when I slapped this one together was for Onan power, and it still may happen on the next build. 

oilwell1415
12 hours ago, Greentored said:

I think I may have accidentally built a pretty efficient engine.

It should burn way less fuel with the compression increase you put in it.  That and better part throttle response are the big benefits of higher compression.  On Lycoming 150hp airplane engines one of the most popular mods is high compression pistons.  They only get you 10 more hp, but the drop the fuel burn from 8 gallons per hour to about 7 gallons per hour.  A 6% increase in power with a 12% drop in fuel burn.

• Like 1

WVHillbilly520H
6 hours ago, AHS said:

How about 2' of snow? @Greentored Onan powered you say ....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

@WVHillbilly520H good stuff there Jeff

• Thanks 2

Greentored

@WVHillbilly520H Love it!!! I do miss the Onan rumble and think it wont be long before theres another one in the stable in one form or another.

There's a guy nearby on Marketplace who just posted up an Onan genset, not running but turns over, for 50 bucks. Its probably going to happen.

• Like 2

AHS

After watching that video  3 times @WVHillbilly520H, I think I know where there is a 520 sitting with a muffler rotted off.... I think I’m going to have to look🤔👍

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

Onan genset

Careful my have a tapered crank but maybe not a deal breaker. 

• Thanks 1

Greentored
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Careful my have a tapered crank but maybe not a deal breaker. 

Oh yeah, 90% sure it will be. Somewhere in the archives here, someone brought up a link to a tapered crank adapter. One way or another theres gotta be a solution.

WHX??

Oh fer sure Green ... @Achto did it for a tapered crank....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

@Greentored you need to check out post 304 of Jim's (WHX24) plow thread you may get a kick and inspiration out of it...

Again post 304 😁.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
On 8/13/2020 at 5:15 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

@Greentored you need to check out post 304 of Jim's (WHX24) plow thread you may get a kick and inspiration out of it...

Again post 304 😁.

EPIC!  😂😂😂

12Horse Paladin

I have a 16Horse Kohler here prettysure in need of a rebuild, ill let you play with, Sir.😉

Love it!😊😁👍🏼👍🏼!!

• Like 1

Greentored
17 hours ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

I have a 16Horse Kohler here prettysure in need of a rebuild, ill let you play with, Sir.😉

Love it!😊😁👍🏼👍🏼!!

Might be a little pricey to ship that engine block, but i'm in if you are! It wont be free, but it would be a 'hobby fun' rate, not shop labor rate ha:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

12Horse Paladin
17 hours ago, Greentored said:

Might be a little pricey to ship that engine block, but i'm in if you are! It wont be free, but it would be a 'hobby fun' rate, not shop labor rate ha:handgestures-thumbupright:

Thankyou for your offer!!😊👍🏼

Id seriouly have it boxed up n 'ready on the way to you, if i could.

But timing is not the best, funds wise.

But if you are serious, id sure like to keep you in mind, down the road. Perhaps we could work it out...

Every storm runs outta rain sooner or later.😉

Greentored
34 minutes ago, 12Horse Paladin said:

Thankyou for your offer!!😊👍🏼

Id seriouly have it boxed up n 'ready on the way to you, if i could.

But timing is not the best, funds wise.

But if you are serious, id sure like to keep you in mind, down the road. Perhaps we could work it out...

Every storm runs outta rain sooner or later.😉

Just say the word! 

Really was a lot of fun experimenting with this build, it'd be pretty cool to see a fellow 'addict' have one done up. 

Id really like to put this up against a similar machine with a stock K321 to see just how much of a difference there is. Only thing I can compare it apples to apples was the stock K301 that this one replaced, and it is certainly a lot stronger than that.

Next experiment is to do a cylinder head only on an otherwise stock engine and see how it does. Think theres a decent amount of power to be found doing that alone.

• Like 1

12Horse Paladin
31 minutes ago, Greentored said:

Just say the word! 

Really was a lot of fun experimenting with this build, it'd be pretty cool to see a fellow 'addict' have one done up. 

Id really like to put this up against a similar machine with a stock K321 to see just how much of a difference there is. Only thing I can compare it apples to apples was the stock K301 that this one replaced, and it is certainly a lot stronger than that.

Next experiment is to do a cylinder head only on an otherwise stock engine and see how it does. Think theres a decent amount of power to be found doing that alone.

I like the way you think.

Ill be watching your posts n vuds, as they showup😊

And thankyou; at some point ill b in touch perhaps, tho might be awhile.

• Excellent 1