Greentored

Building my ultimate horse

Greentored

That's yours truly rolling the coupe. Just a 'little' 250, with a LOT of head work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Mebbe I'd haveta go Full trucker mode. Ole 292 straight 6, 20 forward speeds. 

For nooooooo good reason. 

Recently saw a Wankel 90hp for sale cheap on an upstate NY CL board--looked small enuf to fit in under the hood!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

AHS
20 hours ago, Greentored said:

@AHS has to be talking about the 'Inline Six Cylinder Power Manual'- the Bible of straight 6 books!

Yes! Head work and cams are in there. It’s so sick. How you can make a lump port head out of just your regular head... I mean it all over YouTube.  I’ve never had a 250, but the hp looks similar to a 4.3 and I’ve had many of those. 

• Like 2

AHS
22 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Can you post or PM me the title?

5556B332-791F-4FD5-9E9F-B9DD94D82A42.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, AHS said:

Yes! Head work and cams are in there. It’s so sick. How you can make a lump port head out of just your regular head... I mean it all over YouTube.  I’ve never had a 250, but the hp looks similar to a 4.3 and I’ve had many of those. 

I've had a stock 250 and a slightly helped 292. 

If I ever build an engine for a truck it would be either a GM 292 or a Ford 300. 

Had both. 

Excellent power sources. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

AHS

I’ve ridden in a Ford 300 with a 4 speed, with granny low. He always drove it as a 3 speed, never used granny low.  The ups trucks always used 300 or 292s. 

• Like 3

Greentored
On 1/24/2021 at 6:23 AM, AHS said:

This 'started' as a used 250 with 307 chevy flat tops and small block valves, clifford intake, rochester 4GC (small) 4bbl, split shorty headers, crane 260 cam. It ran good.

Swapped to a bigger cam, then a bigger one yet and it helped, and certainly sounded better.(Schneider custom grind hydraulic)

Then I did the port lumps, 1.94/1.6 small block valves, unshrouded the chambers, blended the intake ports and opened up the exhaust ports, then wacked .070 off the head for 9.8:1. It woke up big time- day and night from bottom to top!

THEN, I tossed the old rochester and put a race prepped Holley 500cfm 2 barrel on it and think I gained as much as the head work!

The drag strip vid it was running mid 9s in the 1/8 mile at 76mph, and that was with the 4bbl. Thats knocking on 14s in the quarter- with puny 3.36s, no posi, and a muncie 4 speed. Ol girl is most likely in the low to mid 14s now:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

• Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

slim67
On 1/24/2021 at 8:30 AM, ebinmaine said:

I've had a stock 250 and a slightly helped 292. 

If I ever build an engine for a truck it would be either a GM 292 or a Ford 300. 

Had both. 

Excellent power sources. 

Best inline Ford made . I had one in a '71 F250 4x4 with a new process 435 4 speed. It did everything it was supposed to and simple to work on.

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
On 1/22/2021 at 7:15 PM, AHS said:

I want to build something like @Greentored A14hp with a edelbrock torque cam and Chevy valves and a flat top piston... of wait that’s the small block Chevy I’ve been dreaming about!!  I will admit, I was thinking about, greentored’s 14hp when I was snowblowing!

You mean a little sumpthin' like this 🤔...

IMAG0589.jpg

IMAG0586.jpg

IMAG0579.jpg

IMAG0633.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 7

WVHillbilly520H
On 1/23/2021 at 8:07 AM, Greentored said:

Did someone say Chevy inline 6?  Yeah, buddy!!!!

Smoked that 'Stang, reminds of way back in '93 my buddy had just bought a new LX coupé 5.0 5spd I had my first Malibu 79 factory 305 4spd still had the factory cat and muffler and working very well Q-Jet, we lined up and set them off, I got the hole shot for him roasting the hides off before he could get taken off, the ole horizontal speedo in the Malibu went to 85 then disappeared and my HEI module went into breakdown mode like a rev limiter as he finally got by me more than a 1/4 mile since taking off, so when met up a bit later he said he was clocking 127-130 to get around me not bad for an ole worn 305.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2

AHS

Ya those 305’s were bulletproof. And you get a Manuel behind it, and they were fast. I had a buddy that had a 96 Chevy with a 305 vortec with a 5 speed, and didn’t it go, with 33’s on it!! I can still smell the burning rubber!

• Like 2

AHS
10 hours ago, Greentored said:

This 'started' as a used 250 with 307 chevy flat tops and small block valves, clifford intake, rochester 4GC (small) 4bbl, split shorty headers, crane 260 cam. It ran good.

Swapped to a bigger cam, then a bigger one yet and it helped, and certainly sounded better.(Schneider custom grind hydraulic)

Then I did the port lumps, 1.94/1.6 small block valves, unshrouded the chambers, blended the intake ports and opened up the exhaust ports, then wacked .070 off the head for 9.8:1. It woke up big time- day and night from bottom to top!

THEN, I tossed the old rochester and put a race prepped Holley 500cfm 2 barrel on it and think I gained as much as the head work!

The drag strip vid it was running mid 9s in the 1/8 mile at 76mph, and that was with the 4bbl. Thats knocking on 14s in the quarter- with puny 3.36s, no posi, and a muncie 4 speed. Ol girl is most likely in the low to mid 14s now:handgestures-fingerscrossed:

I would have love to hear that sweet sound! That thing must have sounded nasty!! Imagine what it would have been if it had 4:10 and a posi.. frame twisting!! I can’t believe what you shaved off the head... and 9.8:1!!😁😁

• Like 1

Greentored
12 hours ago, AHS said:

I would have love to hear that sweet sound! That thing must have sounded nasty!! Imagine what it would have been if it had 4:10 and a posi.. frame twisting!! I can’t believe what you shaved off the head... and 9.8:1!!😁😁

I like compression in everything haha. Just gotta watch the heat. Amazingly, this has the factory radiator, 160 thermostat and a wimpy 4 blade fan. I saw 180 in traffic on a 90 degree day once:lol:

And yeah, it does have a pretty unique 'snarl'- I shift it at 5800-6000

Edited by Greentored
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 2

tom2p

this thread brings back great memories of some great straight sixes - my 292 powered truck - friends 300 powered truck - and the simple V8 engines back in the day ... small block chevy ... big block ... 

even the sight and sound of the old school UPS trucks back in the day ... 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, tom2p said:

sight and sound

I moved up here to Maine in the last week of July of the year 2000.

I was hired as a parts guy by what was then Forest City Chevrolet. Massive place. If I remember correctly they said they were something like the 8th largest Chevrolet dealer in the east coast region.

One of the managers was giving me a tour and familiarizing me with what was to become my surroundings and I saw an engine crate that was a bit on the long and thin side.....

Turns out it was a 292 GM.

I was like whyyyy????

Lobster boats...

Cruising slowly. Trap to trap.  

That's a very special sound.....

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Greentored
On 1/25/2021 at 12:24 PM, WVHillbilly520H said:

You mean a little sumpthin' like this 🤔...

IMAG0589.jpg

I spot a 400 block and a roller cam! 

• Excellent 2

WVHillbilly520H
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

I spot a 400 block and a roller cam! 

Yes sir, .030" to 406.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

AHS
On 1/26/2021 at 2:08 PM, ebinmaine said:

I moved up here to Maine in the last week of July of the year 2000.

I was hired as a parts guy by what was then Forest City Chevrolet. Massive place. If I remember correctly they said they were something like the 8th largest Chevrolet dealer in the east coast region.

One of the managers was giving me a tour and familiarizing me with what was to become my surroundings and I saw an engine crate that was a bit on the long and thin side.....

Turns out it was a 292 GM.

I was like whyyyy????

Lobster boats...

Cruising slowly. Trap to trap.  

That's a very special sound.....

Loads and loads of torque... I bet with a “lobster boat cam”  do they even make such a thing? I mean running wide open for about an hour and low and slow for an hour. I bet about 3k rpms max? I’ll bet she is still out in the sea, and starts up like a champ!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, AHS said:

Loads and loads of torque... I bet with a “lobster boat cam”  do they even make such a thing? I mean running wide open for about an hour and low and slow for an hour. I bet about 3k rpms max? I’ll bet she is still out in the sea, and starts up like a champ!

I don't know about on a boat. In a truck they'll go about 4K rpm or a little more. 

Tough. Strong. 

• Like 2

Greentored
On 1/31/2021 at 6:55 PM, AHS said:

You mean the 'lobstah grind?'  Bet its wicked good!   hahaha

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

AHS
31 minutes ago, Greentored said:

You mean the 'lobstah grind?'  Bet its wicked good!   hahaha

Ya!! Lobster grind in a 292!! With a lobster boat, and a 292, you gotta bet the running straight pipe!! A chrome one!!😀

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

AHS

One for your ‘healthy K321’ @Greentored

80571176-883B-43C8-BCD6-81A27AF01348.jpeg

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

Greentored

Welllll,

Apparently my soldering isnt up to par, and the leak at the gas tank seam was still seeping and went unnoticed til it was too late.  Luckily very little paint damage in visible areas, so a quick touch up with the spray can will have it good again.

Tank got stripped, cleaned, and a nice coat of Caswell's on the inside.

It never pays to rush, does it?

hossa.jpg

hossb.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Is that copper pipe Scott?

I've thought about using that but read that it was brittle and these engines vibrate a lot...

AHS

It appears so, the copper pipe. I’ve never though about using it.  The copper brake line/ fuel hose, it’s a good idea up here!! Where everything rusts!! The fuel line from the fuel pump to the carb on my 250 I6 is copper. Never rusts and is extremely flexible! Just two hands, make a hose into anything you want!

• Like 1