Greentored

Building my ultimate horse

Greentored

YAY, apparently was out of room in attachments file. Deleted some.  Here's a sneak peek-

hoss3.jpg

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine

"Click to choose files"  

Greentored
25 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

"Click to choose files"  

It was gone. Apparently my renewal had run out, which put my attachments about 200 times over the limit haha. 
I renewed, you all are stuck with me for 2 more years 🤣

• Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Greentored said:

It was gone. Apparently my renewal had run out, which put my attachments about 200 times over the limit haha. 
I renewed, you all are stuck with me for 2 more years 🤣

Excellent. Well done sir. 

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine

Boy does that look snazzy!!

My own personal preference leans towards the lighter brighter reds but that dark one is a great match. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

slim67
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

More progress today!  PPG Shopline #70019 single stage urethane over Nason 2K urethane primer/ DTM sealer.  Chassis and small parts done with Marhyde aerosol etch primer and custom mixed Shopline single stage enamel in aerosol as well.

This "what red is correct" paint stuff has been beat to death 400 times over, but a couple things I 'learned' on this go round, hopefully it can be put to good use if someone is on the fence with paint colors.....

In pic 1- thats IH 2150 red/PPG 71310 on the left, and IH 50 red/PPG 70019 on the right. To each his own, but I like dark reds. My 520H was done in the paint on the left and I was a little disappointed. This time I went for the early IH50 versus 2150 and its perfect.

Also- Worried about running low on the aerosol cans of IH50, I painted the non-visible areas of the chassis with a can of Duplicolor red engine enamel- DE1653. When dry, it is so close to the IH50 I dont think anyone would even notice unless painting two panels and putting them together side by side.

Stay tuned- hope to sneak over to the shop Saturday and turn this pile of freshly painted parts back into a tractor!

hoss4.jpg

hoss9.jpg

hoss8.jpg

hoss6.jpg

hoss5.jpg

Wow. Thats the way to do it. Whose spray booth ? I like the darker reds too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

19richie66

Looks fantastic!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
1 hour ago, slim67 said:

Wow. Thats the way to do it. Whose spray booth ? I like the darker reds too.

Long story short, it’s the old mans. He plays with muscle cars as a hobby and has a whole shop for it. I own a hotrod/restoration shop and run it out of his building. 
 Very fortunate to say the least. If my rent was half of what he could charge I’d be down the tubes in a month ha. 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

tom2p

lookin good ... real good !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

tom2p

Long story short, it’s the old mans. He plays with muscle cars as a hobby and has a whole shop for it. I own a hotrod/restoration shop and run it out of his building. 
 Very fortunate to say the least. If my rent was half of what he could charge I’d be down the tubes in a month ha. 

that does look like a nice spray booth 

looks very similar to one at a body shop where a friend works 

• Excellent 1

Pullstart

Lookin’ great Scott!

ha!  Great Scott!

6B432D72-31AA-4234-8F71-D9DEF27E045F.jpeg

• Haha 2

slim67

Thats a nice booth.It looks like your pretty comfortable with a spray gun. Im not to versed on paints but is what you are spraying a base coat/ clear coat? I stick to aerosols because don't have the right equipment to spray like that but I couldn't anyways right now due to weather.

• Thanks 1

Howie

looks good!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Greentored
23 minutes ago, slim67 said:

Thats a nice booth.It looks like your pretty comfortable with a spray gun. Im not to versed on paints but is what you are spraying a base coat/ clear coat? I stick to aerosols because don't have the right equipment to spray like that but I couldn't anyways right now due to weather.

Base/clear is pretty much the standard these days for sure, but this is a single stage urethane. Basically just like a spray can of enamel but lays on heavier and holds up better. Base/clear doesn’t hide minor flaws as well, and being a tractor, it has a few. 
The goal this time around is a ‘clean machine’ versus ‘wow’ as it gets used on a regular basis. 
 Spray can jobs can look great (heck, all the chassis and small parts on this one got the spray can job) but don’t fear a 50-60.00 harbor freight paint gun and some plastic sheets hung up in the garage. If you can make a spray can job look good, a paint gun job will be a breeze for ya! 

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 4

Tractorhead

great results Scott.

Fantastic, if you have the possibillity to use such envoirement to work with.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, slim67 said:

couldn't anyways right now due to weather

Trina gets the parts ready to spray in the basement then brings them outside for a few to spray. Back into basement to dry. 

Short timing window at lower temps but does work. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

cschannuth
11 hours ago, Greentored said:

Base/clear is pretty much the standard these days for sure, but this is a single stage urethane. Basically just like a spray can of enamel but lays on heavier and holds up better. Base/clear doesn’t hide minor flaws as well, and being a tractor, it has a few. 
The goal this time around is a ‘clean machine’ versus ‘wow’ as it gets used on a regular basis. 
 Spray can jobs can look great (heck, all the chassis and small parts on this one got the spray can job) but don’t fear a 50-60.00 harbor freight paint gun and some plastic sheets hung up in the garage. If you can make a spray can job look good, a paint gun job will be a breeze for ya! 

Any special filters or additions needed for the air compressor to make sure the spraygun doesn’t have any contaminants when laying down the paint?

• Like 1

slim67
36 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Any special filters or additions needed for the air compressor to make sure the spraygun doesn’t have any contaminants when laying down the paint?

I think a water separator and air regulator are necessary.

• Excellent 1

slim67
12 hours ago, Greentored said:

Maybe I'll give it a try in the future. I do have a couple spray guns, a good water separator but need practice. 

• Excellent 1

Greentored
41 minutes ago, cschannuth said:

Absolutely- you don’t want ANY moisture or contaminants in the air line getting to the gun, because it’ll be in your paint. They make a disposable filter that you can thread on right at the gun, but a twin filter/separator also, in line would be excellent. Not always possible but the further away from the compressor you can mount it the better. 
Another big help is putting a regulator and gauge On at the gun instead of at the compressor. 

4752D81C-408C-4CCF-84FB-1E8D63477966.png

F9027183-52CF-4E7F-860A-570DD28BD4F0.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greentored

If I am partly responsible for making just one of you fellas pick up a paint gun and give it a try, I am a happy camper! 

Again, it is MUCH more difficult to make a spray can job look good- if you’re even halfway decent at that, you’ll be a pro with a spray gun! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Zeek
5 minutes ago, slim67 said:

I think a water separator and air regulator are necessary.

Yes you definitely need a way to remove compressor moisture as well as a regulator to get the pressure down from compressor pressure to spray pressure. The moisture removal part is called a desiccant filter. Looks like he has a pro setup, so I'm sure he has that. If not you can use these from HF for smaller jobs. They attach right before the gun and worked for me. 

• Thanks 1

slim67
4 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Yes you definitely need a way to remove compressor moisture as well as a regulator to get the pressure down from compressor pressure to spray pressure. The moisture removal part is called a desiccant filter. Looks like he has a pro setup, so I'm sure he has that. If not you can use these from HF for smaller jobs. They attach right before the gun and worked for me. 

Thats a good deal. I think I've seen a small regulator that also goes on the end of the gun.

Zeek
1 minute ago, slim67 said:

Thats a good deal. I think I've seen a small regulator that also goes on the end of the gun.

I use these guns. They are cheap, come with a regulator and work great.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1