Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Leaking seal

formariz

After flushing transmission on the RJ59 with Kerosene and filling with new gear oil one of the axle seals started dripping substantially once transmission warms up. Did the Kerosene ruin the seal or is oil thinned by Kerosene left over. Would removing and resetting seal work? :omg:

Does anyone have a good source for these seal? My local Toro dealer seems a bit expensive on these.

Lane Ranger

Check this out for (from the Red Square Wheel Horse Parts Suppliers List at the top of the website listings) a number and go to NAPA car parts for a reduced price on a toro type seal.

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_part...okup_457012.htm

I am not sure about the RJ seal but I have purchased lots of others and they work fine and are of very high quality!

clintonnut

I was working on taking apart an RJ tranny today. If you replace the seal the transmission will still leak. Sorry to break the news. What happens is the bronze bushings wear out and become out of round. Thus causing the seal to leak. The best thing is to put new axle bushings in and replace all of the seals.

Charlie

formariz

Charlie you are killing me.I thought that it probably would be the bushings but since it did not leak prior to the flush with Kero was hoping that there is still Kero left in it and it was diluting the oil.Just when I now have the whole thing back together. Do you have a good source for the bushings? :omg:

formariz

Check this out for (from the Red Square Wheel Horse Parts Suppliers List at the top of the website listings) a number and go to NAPA car parts for a reduced price on a toro type seal.

http://www2.chicago-rawhide.com/popup_part...okup_457012.htm

I am not sure about the RJ seal but I have purchased lots of others and they work fine and are of very high quality!

Thank you for that link.I went to Napa for the seal and they are just $6.00 each.Now I am feeling pretty stupid after paying almost $20.00 per seal at my local Toro dealer.on top of that it always takes them up to two weeks to get them in.

clintonnut

I have some bushings I could sell you.

Send me a PM if you want them. A complete kit that includes the bushings and all four seals costs 65+shipping

Charlie