RedRider

Lauson H55D Crankshaft Tolerances

RedRider

I'm currently working on rebuilding a Lauson H55D-2113 correct for a 1961 Wheel Horse. When I got the engine it was disassembled and in a box. The crankshaft that was included appeared to be new, but upon assembling the rotating assembly I found that the connecting rod would not clear a few spots in the engine block. Once I figured out I had the wrong crankshaft, I purchased a used crankshaft correct for this engine from eBay. The crankshaft visually appears to be in great shape with virtually no rust, though it was advertised as used. The journal for the connecting rod is approximately .003" out of round. I have very little experience in machining or engine balancing, so I was wondering just how bad this is? I only plan on using the engine on a tractor that will only run a few hours a year when at tractor shows, and will not really be put to work or stressed. Should I be worried about this out of round condition, or will I be able to get by with it? I am dead set on using this Lauson engine as it is the correct one for my tractor, so I'm not looking to replace it or go another route and am willing to pay a little extra to maintain originality. Because of this, my options for getting a replacement crankshaft in better shape seem to be very slim. Any help or suggestions you could provide would be appreciated. Thanks!

Chaz54

Is .003 the total out of round?  I haven’t worked on engines in a really long time, but I really doubt if it will cause any problems. 

oliver2-44

Is the connecting rod new or does the journal bite also have some wear

RedRider

Yes, based on my bench top measurements with dial calipers I have a difference of .003 from the narrowest to the widest parts of the journal. The connecting rod that I have did not originally go with this exact crankshaft as I have had to piece this engine together from different sources. The connecting rod I have was either new or barely used, as it is very clean and doesn't visually show and abnormal signs of wear.