Tim.0

k301s

Tim.0

Hi,

Can a fly wheel be put on this engine to where the timing marks are not suppose to be. Like some car distributors can be put in 180 degrees off.

Thanks tim O

kasey54

No , has a keyed shaft

• Like 2

Tim.0

so it looks like the flywheel is held on by 2 hex bolts, I am not in the barn looking at it so i could be wrong. If the key were to break the timing or the timing marks could become off? I was also just reading the manual remove hex screws.

Edited by Tim.0

pfrederi

Highly unlikely that the key would shear  that used to happen on vertical shaft rotary mowers when you hit a root or rock...especially with B&S or Techy engines as they used a soft aluminum key between flywheel and crank.  It would deform enough to mess up the timing.. According the K310 parts manual all spec # used a 5/8 -18TPI nut to hold the flywheel on.  is this motor from a WH?? other companies ordered front drive shafts bolts to the flywheel to power hydro pumps and other things...

Tim.0

yes it is from A WH. I did not have a picture in my mind of the flywheel setup and was looking at the manual and my description is not very good and I am sorry for it. It started now, I was using a multi meter resetting the points and would not start and did not seem to be lining properly with the the timing marks. SO anyway I kept messing with it. Maybe I was off before, my old eyes bifocals, engine having a temper tantrum I dont know.

Yes I had a BS shear the key on me once and thought maybe this could have happened somehow.

I put some tin in the blower housing for now till I find something better, the bottom is rusted out part way so was not getting all the air flow it should have for cooling.

1970 Raider I think ( I have to look at manuals again to figure out the model), been working on and off  on it over the last couple years prolly more off then on, but slowly.

Thanks for the answer

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, Tim.0 said:

Hi,

Can a fly wheel be put on this engine to where the timing marks are not suppose to be. Like some car distributors can be put in 180 degrees off.

Thanks tim O

Well      YES and NO.    Your flywheel makes two complete revolutions for each ignition cycle so the "I" mark will come to the sight hole at twenty degrees before top dead center on the exhaust stroke and the compression stroke. The ignition points will only open on the compression stroke.

• Like 2