Vurge

Is this a 606?

Vurge

Okay, I took a look under the steering column and found a tag under the paint-- says 606?  Seems right based on the pictures I've found.  Also, here's a picture of the other side of the tractor.  

Before getting too far along on this project, I have a question about the transaxle on this.  Seeing how nothing is available locally, having a bad transaxle would be a deal breaker.  Seems to move through all the gears okay.  Are there any weak spots to look for? And is this transmission strong enough to handle pushing dirt/manure around?  Is this more of a lawnmower or a garden tractor?  

15901691577601.jpg

15901691487340.jpg

• Like 2

Pullstart

To test third gear engagement, you need to be under full power.  Many times people shift on the fly, wearing the edges off the third gear set.  Other signals might be leaking axles seals or loose hubs.  Everything is available new or used through vendors on this site so it shouldn’t be a deal breaker either way... just something to be aware of.

• Like 4

stevasaurus

That should be a #5053 transmission.  That transmission is one of the best and easy to work on.  You will need a belt guard to be able to shift the trans.  The belt guard acts like the clutch by funneling the slack in the belt toward the engine pulley...the belt stops rotating and you can shift with out grinding gears.  The 606 came from the factory with a 6 hsp Tecumseh, pull start, 1966.  It will do any chore you can find for it...it is a garden tractor, and a well built one.  Numerous attachments are available...from roto-tillers, to dirt plows, to snow blowers, to doser blades...OH YAH, it will cut grass also.  :occasion-xmas:

BTW...Welcome to Red Square

• Like 4

Pullstart

Where are my manners?  :text-welcomeconfetti:

gwest_ca

Is your serial number 215540? Will add it to this list. Click on the picture

Garry

littleredrider

I have a 606 at home, I could get some pics of anything if yah need. Serial too...

• Excellent 1

Vurge
1 hour ago, gwest_ca said:

Is your serial number 215540? Will add it to this list. Click on the picture

Garry

Yup, that's the serial number.  Thank you for the link to the manuals!

Vurge

Thanks for the warm welcome and all the information.  I hadn't been thinking repair-- more along the lines of replacements.  If these are simple enough for a novice, I might give repair a try if necessary.  I guess these aren't as disposable as the current riding mowers.  :D  Good to know that this transmission is not for just mowing.  Still have my fingers crossed that it's in good condition.  I do have a Predator 212 sitting on the floor of the shop that I can throw in there to try things out .  I know that some members have made that conversion without too many problems.  That's a pull start and doesn't allow for lights though.  I also have the option of an electric start Predator 420.  Too heavy?  

It sounds like I'll need to source a belt guard before I can test out the transmission anyway.  

Pullstart

Not too heavy.  We weigh these things down and they’ll plow a field all day!

C24A2D8E-6564-4706-A510-3725C6F48AF6.jpeg

1D6C725B-D093-44BF-B159-78DC23ABADBB.jpeg

7F3DB3B1-9D33-4B57-85B5-97EC301E8A01.jpeg

2D4950A0-14DF-457C-BEE4-19FB4AD7108C.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Sam Pasch

:text-yeahthat:420cc =more power=more better. I'd go for that one.

Edited by Sam Pasch

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, Vurge said:

heavy

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Don't be concerned in the least about weight.

Horses are some rugged.

My Honey has a 657 and 867 if you need pics or info.

I'd go for the big engine as well... 

Absolutely a repairable rig and up to whatever task you need given the right setup.

• Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Have you considered getting the Robin engine running? They are very good engines.

Garry

• Like 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, gwest_ca said:

Have you considered getting the Robin engine running? They are very good engines.

Garry

:text-yeahthat:

I meant to ask that earlier.

Thanks Garry...

littleredrider

I have a 16 horse Kohler that's sitting in my 606, along with an 8-speed posi from an 1067 I think. Just need to get it running....gotta get decals made up, 1666 lol...

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

Vurge

I haven't take a close look at the Wisconsin-Robin other than to pull the dipstick and smell the oil (doesn't smell burnt) and pull the plug and check to check for any compression (it puffs air). A friend of time messed with it briefly but couldn't get it to fire with starter fluid.  I'm new to working on small engines and this thing has some kind of ancient points/condenser set up.  LOL.   I will be giving it a closer look (and probably spend even more time on the internet reading up on how this setup works) but I like the idea of fitting a 420cc Predator in there.  If this little tractor works out, it'll likely spend some time pushing wood shavings in a barn and it would be good to have some lights for evening work.  There is part of me that wants to keep it all the same age/patina.  I really hate it when people slap paint on old equipment.  Seems like that's one of those things were a shoddy job is worse than just leaving it alone. 

Seeing how you all load up that front axle with all those weights the bigger engine shouldn't stress it too much!  Anyone know if the 420cc will fit without having to cut off the hood?

Also, I would appreciate any suggestions on locating the proper belt guard.  Thanks!

• Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, Vurge said:

There is part of me that wants to keep it all the same age/patina.  I really hate it when people slap paint on old equipment.  Seems like that's one of those things were a shoddy job is worse than just leaving it alone

Trina and I agree.

Either paint it all and do it right or leave it.

Kohler used points into the 80s or even later maybe. They're a good reliable ignition on most engines if set/maintained correctly.

I have no knowledge of the engine you have but maybe @Stepney could throw in a little help at some point.

You'll need to fab/modify a belt guard for either of the engines.

I have one off of a (1267?) That's been modified already by adding holes to rivet a support in place.

I don't know what freight charges would be but you can have it for the price of shipping.

That should get you fairly close and give you a decent baseline at least.

• Like 2

littleredrider

The H/F motor will fit no problem. I put a 13 horse (close to same size as urs) in a '63 lawn ranger. Torque/power was an understatement. All mine have the patina, but since someone tried blue, i'd have to paint it lol. Least it wasn't green.... 

• Like 2

953 nut
5 hours ago, Vurge said:

I would appreciate any suggestions on locating the proper belt guard.

:WRS:

The :wh: belt guards were made with a particular engine in mind so you may be better off bu making your own guard.   I made one for a predator powered :wh: with a couple of pieces of angle iron and some roof flashing. One piece of angle iron will go above the belt and the other will go below it. both pieces will have a flat almost touching the belt and the other flat side on  the outside. Fine a threaded hole in the engine block for the two ends to be secured to and weld or bolt some tabs from the angle iron to the engine. Do the same to each at the other end keeping the angle iron close to the belt but not touching. Cut the flashing to size and pop rivet it in place.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

gwest_ca

Drawing of the original 606 belt guard so you know what they were like

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

cschannuth

Here’s mine with the 212. It’s a monster for its small displacement and it starts on the first pull every time. Even with the upsized engine pulley it never breathes hard.  It’s been my pusher and puller for the last three years. 

I had to modify the belt guard slightly so I used one in worse condition than my original. I got this tractor as a roller and my Dad had the Predator. The hood didn’t need to be cut but I did need to spread the sides of the vertical portion of the hood/grill to make room for the air cleaner.  

I added a bunch of different pictures to show how it looks and the flexibility the tractor has. I upsized the engine pulley by 1 inch and it gave me a top speed of about 8 mph versus the original 5 mph since I do a lot of driving around my rural subdivision.  C9CEAE25-9754-4E76-81A7-BE1F01BDFA44.jpeg.cf67a22b0abaa7eb88457ca08125a023.jpeg803B321D-76F7-440D-A8E4-365AC5E1BBA1.jpeg.0e18ab0f2fecb5b4f95c62d50711c37a.jpeg1105EAA6-30FC-4E41-B6B0-5150F6B25FAA.jpeg.eaeec01264b58622e4841635fd1817a2.jpeg8B3A9672-E2F2-4A59-8713-2B44DBBCE8CF.thumb.jpeg.9dc8b2bfd48f0c909c7b03b45ef5f4a1.jpeg27BC854C-8F73-427E-8577-5D61A3A53F59.jpeg.8e379d29ddbba466c778d9ca85be8f86.jpeg14CAF312-7014-4115-A74F-1E2E42409DB1.jpeg.3bce6a2c06b4a735f445fe367cd048c1.jpeg647E358C-EBA0-4F01-BF12-14BC2813D585.jpeg.6bae80e98b7e144bfc84188b7dd28bdc.jpeg426B622E-80DD-4D25-B082-BBE3C798FCDD.jpeg.1cccca70c51d1370d643188f254c0866.jpeg4902DC04-CF6B-44DC-A249-ECF2318ADB76.jpeg.d1c2a4e77a5956aa8bd4112da271db3a.jpeg0E0655A8-561D-4261-9006-E60CC8E53631.jpeg.e7e55ef28f874185ff0d3d1f33cd3b6e.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

Vurge

@ebinmaineWow, thanks for the offer on the cover.  The more I look at this machine and how basic the construction is, the more I'm leaning towards taking it completely apart and doing a repaint.  All the pictures of the 606 beauties isn't helping.  I've got to hold myself back though-- I don't want something too pretty to push manure!

I just ran out to take another look at the 606 and check the wheels.  Axle doesn't seem to have any play on one side and a small bit of movement on the other.  Hubs tight but seems like one has been damaged/repaired in the past.  I don't like the gap between the hub and axle there.  I wonder if it's rusted on there!   I'm getting the shop cleared out and will bring in the 606 inside (currently under a pole barn) to do a proper lookover. 

15902698779690.jpg

15902699464071.jpg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine

No worries.

That's what we're here for.

Need more pretty horse inspiration?

Here's our herd.

Trina's Pony 657 is the bright red one in the middle.

IMG_20200405_174748407.jpg.6ea2cf291deda8cb9170c04393ea08ee.jpg

That hub is busticated and  really needs replacement.

The gap is likely good news though.

It'll mean easier removal.

Replacement hubs can be had from an 80s 310-8 if you're looking for a good solid worker.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Vurge

Alright!  I had some time this afternoon and put a new tire on the front wheel so I can at least roll this machine around.  A bit of a time getting it to seat and once it did, got a leaks at the bead up to about 30 psi... this is a trailer tire good to 90 PSi so I kept going leaks stopped at about 45psi.  :D  I'll let it sit for a while before reducing the pressure.  

Okay, I need some advice as to first steps now.   Or is it second step?  I've got a lead on a belt cover to start  (thanks Eric).  Maybe next I jack up the rear and spin the input pulley to see if the transmission actually goes through the gears? and if that's good, located a replacement wheel hub?  And then start working on the engine?  

• Like 1

Vurge

Anyone have a picture of a 420cc Predator (or similar) in a 606/656?  

@littleredrider- is your Lawn Ranger similar to the 606?

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Vurge said:

step

Boy it's hard to say..

Some of us have habits of the order of attack, so to speak.

One of the biggest reasons Trina and I have Wheelhorses is the they are so easily repaired and maintained.

You could really start at either end.

To be honest I like the engine you have there and would be inclined to see if it runs...

The transmission is very repairable no matter the issue.

Parts are still in good supply.

• Like 2