Vurge

New Owner of a 867 (?)

Vurge

Thanks for the add.  Took a while for me to even figure out what kind of machine I had here... it was given to me as part of a deal for a Craftsman GT5000.  No decals and at that point, I'd never even heard of Wheel Horse before. After the magic of a Google image search brought me to Wheel Horse, I still don't know what model I've got.  I fixed up the GT5000 for towing a spray rig on the farm (way easier than using an ATV with thumb throttle).  Now it's time to evaluate the Wheel Horse. I know the Wisconsin engine isn't original and it's missing the belt cover that's needed for proper clutch operation and prevent leg injury.  Steering wheel is broken and what's left of it needs to be removed.  This isn't a restoration (likely be used to move a trailer and maybe push wood shavings around a concrete floor) so I have no problem throwing in a Harbor Freight engine if I can't figure out the Wisconsin-- it would also be nice to go with electric start and get some lights on it.  Also looks like it has more than one rattle can paint job in the past...

As I work on this, I'll probably be be asking newbie questions. 

Untitled.jpg

• Like 5

kasey54

Even has wheel horse wheel weights . They are on backwards, but that's okay. They are just as heavy, lol . Very nice

• Like 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:Lots of friendly knowlegable help.  We love questions and  as you work on it :wwp:

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Cool rig!!!

Ask away!

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

SPINJIM

See if you can find any ID number on the steering tower under the dash board.   Tell us what you find, and we can tell you the model.   Owner's manuals and parts list are available here for download.   The wheel weights are worth $150 to $200.   The most difficult fix might be getting the steering wheel off.   Good luck and welcome.

Jim

Achto

:WRS: I can not tell in the picture if it has a high / low shifter, an 867 would have a 3 speed transmission with high & low range. If you can find the id tag we can let you know what it started life as.

Vurge

Okay... so I'm starting off completely wrong.  No high/low like on my Craftsman.  Feels like its 3 speeds and reverse.  Maybe I should be thinking 606/656?  I will take a look under the dash in the morning and see what I can find under the layers of paint.  Thanks for the info on the wheel weights-- I'll nix the thought of moving them to the Craftsman. :D   This little Wheelhorse is going to need the extra weight!  It's so light. 

Look for a new post when I get the more info.  I don't want to clog up the intros with my questions!

• Like 2

Stormin

:WRS: from :UK:

Sam Pasch

Its possible it could be an 857. That's the 3 speed equivalent to an 867.

Vurge

Hi Sam-- I started another thread on this little tractor and we found the ID tag.  It's a 606.  It feels like a 3/4 scale version of a regular sized garden tractor...