Off Track Horse

Leaky steering fitting lube fitting?

Off Track Horse

Okay, so I just know just enough about engines to do basic care & know when something is wrong.  I have what presented as a hydraulic leak on my 416H with fluid spraying everywhere from under the center of the tractor and it is really only significant when the PTO is engaged.  I took the mowing deck off today expecting to find a cracked hose or loose fitting.  Wrong!  Instead I found fluid coming out from the steering shaft on the opposite side of what I am finding is called the "steering fitting lube" piece on the Toro parts website.  So where it shows part #7 going in the fluid is leaking out of the other side.  I'm really at a loss on this one.

image.png.76d2f76a756af105dc7ffa21b9d4e3f1.png

Edited by Off Track Horse
typos

ebinmaine

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Like the screen name...

I'm not familiar with the later models like yours. Someone else should be along soon..

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Best to take another look at the hoses and fittings.

The only lubricant in the steering gears is what you put there with a grease gun.

Garry

• Like 1

lynnmor

#7 is grease fitting and has nothing to do with your hydraulic system.  Look for a bad hose or fitting.

Off Track Horse
33 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

#7 is grease fitting and has nothing to do with your hydraulic system.  Look for a bad hose or fitting.

Ok, I know the #7 grease fitting has nothing to do with the hydraulic system.  I spent 2 hours looking for a bad hose or fitting.  I wrapped hoses in tissue & dusted fittings with corn starch.  Neither of which produced any signs of where the leak is coming from.  Which is why I'm asking for help here.

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

I would suggest removing the covers from the left side, lower dash riser and shift tunnel, clean everything well with some 409 or whatever good spray cleaner you have, rinse well and then let it dry. Check the fluid level in your transaxle and add some 10 W 30 if needed. Now start the engine and engage the belt to drive the pump. Look at the lift valve to see if anything is leaking. Next slowly raise and lower the lift while observing the valve, hoses and cylinder. Your problem should be easy to spot with the covers off.