r1jakecfd

Rim dimensions for 24x12-12 rear tires- 520H

r1jakecfd

Hi Guys,

I just bought some Carlisle Turfmaster 24x12-12 rear tires to replace the 23x8.50-12 tires I have on there now. I was wondering which rims I should buy to fit these bigger tires. The charts say an 8.50 width rim but should the offset stay the same or does it need to change? Any other dimensions I should be concerned about?

Thanks in advance.

Hope everyone is healthy and well!

John

Lee1977

i would suggest putting them on and checking the space between the tire and gas tank brackets. I have a 1989 520-H but it has 7" wheels I put 24 x 9.50 x 12 on mine . I have 1 1/4" clear on the right and 1 3/4" on the left looking at the rear with a 2 1/2" difference between tire and rim.  You have a 3 1/2" difference between  the tire and rim. I'm guessing you will have a 3/4" clear on the right and 1 1/4" on  he left. Other brands of rear wheels have deeper back set then Wheel Horse. 

Edited by Lee1977
  • Like 1

Achto
8 hours ago, r1jakecfd said:

I just bought some Carlisle Turfmaster 24x12-12 rear tires to replace the 23x8.50-12

A 10" to 11" wide rim is usually recommended for 12" wide tires. The offset will have to remain the same as your current rims. ie - all of the width of the new rim should be gained towards the outside, the distance from the mounting plate to the inside of the rim should remain the same.

A picture of one of my tractors with 26x12-12's these rims are 11 1/2" wide.

DSCN2641-min.JPG.aa9b3c1e8c7f97f10bf15b776dccd9f7.JPG

• Like 1

littleredrider

Miler tire sells the pieces for 12x10 rims. I'll get pics later, but I put a set of 25x12x12s on 10" rims, fits perfect on the 520. I'd say with that size tire need a 10", but not all tires measure true to size. 

lynnmor

Your 520H should have come with 23x10.50-12 tires, since you have smaller tires, maybe the wheels are not original as well.

r1jakecfd
11 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

i would suggest putting them on and checking the space between the tire and gas tank brackets. I have a 1989 520-H but it has 7" wheels I put 24 x 9.50 x 12 on mine . I have 1 1/4" clear on the right and 1 3/4" on the left looking at the rear with a 2 1/2" difference between tire and rim.  You have a 3 1/2" difference between  the tire and rim. I'm guessing you will have a 3/4" clear on the right and 1 1/4" on  he left. Other brands of rear wheels have deeper back set then Wheel Horse. 

And who said we’d never use math after high school???🤣 

This is really helpful. Thank you for the info. Always helps to hear other people’s experiences. 
I’ll be sure to post pics when they are on. I’m thinking of just ordering the 10”wide rims to give more traction(less rounding) and more stability for the FEL. 
Cheers

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

r1jakecfd
41 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Your 520H should have come with 23x10.50-12 tires, since you have smaller tires, maybe the wheels are not original as well.

I bought it from a guy with a WheelHorse Graveyard behind his house so yes, non-OEM is most likely the case. 
Truth be told, it was a little scary there... Deep in rural Northern VT... Was like a scene from deliverance. I pretty much loaded up and got the hell out of there!😂

• Like 1

r1jakecfd
3 hours ago, Achto said:

A 10" to 11" wide rim is usually recommended for 12" wide tires. The offset will have to remain the same as your current rims. ie - all of the width of the new rim should be gained towards the outside, the distance from the mounting plate to the inside of the rim should remain the same.

A picture of one of my tractors with 26x12-12's these rims are 11 1/2" wide.

DSCN2641-min.JPG.aa9b3c1e8c7f97f10bf15b776dccd9f7.JPG

That horse looks like a beauty! 
The way you explained it answered my question perfectly clearly. Thank you. 
Let me know if this makes sense:

My current rim is 7” wide. If I get a 10” wide rim, I divide the 3” width difference by 2 to factor for center offset (1 1/2”) and add that to the current offset? That should give me about the same clearance as the current tires(except for bigger tire diameter), correct? 
Thanks for sharing your knowledge!🙏😊

r1jakecfd
2 hours ago, littleredrider said:

Miler tire sells the pieces for 12x10 rims. I'll get pics later, but I put a set of 25x12x12s on 10" rims, fits perfect on the 520. I'd say with that size tire need a 10", but not all tires measure true to size. 

Thanks Littleredrider(cool handle!).

I’m going to call Miller Tire this AM. To see what they have. 
Cheers

Achto
51 minutes ago, r1jakecfd said:

My current rim is 7” wide. If I get a 10” wide rim, I divide the 3” width difference by 2 to factor for center offset (1 1/2”) and add that to the current offset? That should give me about the same clearance as the current tires(except for bigger tire diameter), correct? 

I usually measure from the back of the rim to the mounting plate. I try to keep this measurement the same on my new rim. This way the inside of tire never gets any closer to the tractor.

• Like 2

littleredrider

pics coming up!!!

littleredrider

hopefully this works. The muddy ones are the 25x12x12 on the 10" wide wheels. I think the backspace on these are 1 1/2" or around there. The next ones (semi clean) are 23x10.5x12 on stock 520 8.5" rims. Firestone 23 degree tires. The sidewall "lines up" with the wheel, so IMO, they are a perfect fit. Any wider a wheel will make the tire bow out too much, then risk damaging the wheel if you scrape a curb or whatever. 

IMG_2774.JPG

• Like 1

littleredrider

C570F145-415E-4493-8CC5-EACDD23BD966.jpeg

53450EAD-C510-4A9F-B9FA-D8E2C1DE4C3A.jpeg

• Like 1

littleredrider

A80226A2-024A-4FC0-8678-879A8B744662.jpeg

• Like 1

littleredrider

BE7EBF3A-E347-4381-AD82-03C8E97F0759.jpeg

• Like 2

littleredrider

C801B700-D372-4C46-945D-C1D78623343A.jpeg

• Like 1

WHX??
3 hours ago, r1jakecfd said:

That horse looks like a beauty! 

Beauti is putting it lightly! 

Those Firestones are boss :wicked: Little Red... some day I win the lotto or rob a bank.... :lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

littleredrider

They weren't that expensive when I got them bout 2 years ago. It's sad, ATV and garden tractor tires are becoming as expensive as car tires...

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Yes they are.

lurking on fleebay for a Set Reartyres.

They ask here about 110 up to 320€ A set reartyres.

They call it also the black Gold...

r1jakecfd
On 5/20/2020 at 11:40 AM, Achto said:

I usually measure from the back of the rim to the mounting plate. I try to keep this measurement the same on my new rim. This way the inside of tire never gets any closer to the tractor.

That’s how I did it too. I did actually find a couple of great PDF links including a graphic worksheet to spec a wheel that makes it easy. Its from Wold Wheel, an OEM and custom wheel/rim manufacturer. 

https://www.woldinc.com/useful_info

Happy Memorial Day!

• Like 1

RandyLittrell
On 5/20/2020 at 9:31 AM, r1jakecfd said:

I bought it from a guy with a WheelHorse Graveyard behind his house so yes, non-OEM is most likely the case. 
Truth be told, it was a little scary there... Deep in rural Northern VT... Was like a scene from deliverance. I pretty much loaded up and got the hell out of there!😂

Bought a couple of tractors down in Arkansas one time, told my Dad when we got there, they will never find the bodies if this goes south!! 

Randy

r1jakecfd
13 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

Bought a couple of tractors down in Arkansas one time, told my Dad when we got there, they will never find the bodies if this goes south!! 

Randy

Oh boy... It’s a whole different world out there. Can you picture the amount of Red Horses doing a “mounted” search if anything ever happened to you guys?😂 

• Haha 1

Tuneup

When we went to pick-up the son's '80 Kawi a few years ago, we were met with an open gate with flashing yellow lights on phone polls lights and a sign that said no law enforcement beyond this point. They were working out of trailers. Just good 'ole boys but it felt a little creepy...Woodstock GA.

So, wanting the same, it seems it's time to find a welder. Any task that requires a new tool is a very good thing around here. Thanks, all!