tom2p

One Positive From Coronavirus ?

tom2p

tough to find a positive 

but if MLB play resumes this season - both leagues will use the designated hitter 

finally 

• Like 1

cschannuth

I have mixed emotions on this. I definitely would like to have the additional offense you would get from the designated hitter. However, the manager doesn’t have to be as sharp because there’s no strategy involved with the bullpen. Tony La Russa, in the 2011 World Series, absolutely destroyed Ron Washington to help secure the series for the Cardinals.  Well, that and crazy timely hitting by David Fries and the boys in game six.

WHNJ701

I would like to see something played!  I paid for a full year of mlb network!!

• Sad 2

CCW

I changed my cable plan to eliminate all sports programming since there are no live sports.  Saves me over $100 a month on the cable bill.  When sports return I can call up Comcast and they will be happy to take my money again.

953 nut
1 hour ago, CCW said:

there are no live sports.

:no:               Beginning this Sunday NASCAR will be having races on track, there won't be any fans in the stands, but it will be broadcast on FOX and FOXSports.                             :woohoo:                             :auto-layrubber:                 :auto-swerve:                       :auto-driving:              :auto-rally:                 :auto-checkeredflag:

• Like 3

19richie66

Sad I have no idea what you all are talking about. :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

SPINJIM

With no ticket sales, the team owners will have to raise money other ways to pay the exorbitant salaries of the players.  That means the games will be broadcast only by the cable companies,  probably with a premium fee.    If the games make it to network TV over the air, there will have to be five minutes of advertising between each play to cover the costs.   MLB and the NFL will see big changes.  

tom2p
6 hours ago, cschannuth said:

I have mixed emotions on this. I definitely would like to have the additional offense you would get from the designated hitter. However, the manager doesn’t have to be as sharp because there’s no strategy involved with the bullpen. Tony La Russa, in the 2011 World Series, absolutely destroyed Ron Washington to help secure the series for the Cardinals.  Well, that and crazy timely hitting by David Fries and the boys in game six.

this is true - and I actually will miss the strategy 

but after spending years with my kids in baseball - it just does not make sense to watch a MLB pitcher bat when most (almost all) barely practice batting ... have barely batted since youth ball ...

after youth ball (or middle school ball if a school district has middle school ball) - many if not most of the pitchers will not bat 

most of our high school pitchers did not bat ... (majority) ...

summer and fall league pitchers did not bat ...

college pitchers do not bat ...

minor league pitchers do not bat - A - AA - AAA 

sure there are exceptions but they are rare 

just does not make sense for MLB then to turn on the switch and have pitchers bat - when they have not batted for years 

• Like 1

tom2p
3 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

Sad I have no idea what you all are talking about. :laughing-rolling:

it's all good  lol

just be aware - thanks to the impressive Wheel Horse durability and reliability - I was able to devote more time to baseball (and other things)

WHNJ701

the baseball I really wanted to see this year was my oldest son play his first season, he is a great athlete and plays soccer spring and fall for years, this spring he was going to do both baseball for the school and rec league soccer.

• Sad 2

stevasaurus

Some stupid Cubs fan said my White Sox would have an advantage...cents, since, sense the Sox would be used to playing in an empty stadium.  :angry-tappingfoot:

• Haha 3

kwalshy
18 hours ago, jabelman said:

the baseball I really wanted to see this year was my oldest son play his first season, he is a great athlete and plays soccer spring and fall for years, this spring he was going to do both baseball for the school and rec league soccer.

That's a tough situation. 

I'm a little league coach for 2 of my daughters, softball & tee-ball teams.  We did some winter practice at the school gym and the Little League Assoc cancelled our season.  The girls were disappointed, me too!  

• Sad 1

rmaynard

I have a grandson who in baseball tryouts this year looked as though he was going to have his break-out season. He's 10 years old, and that was the age my son found his baseball "groove" which followed him all the way through high school. It was so disappointing when the season was canceled. But I think the most disappointed was my son. This year he was going to coach the team, following in my footsteps. I was his coach when he was 10. Hopefully my grandson will be able to keep working on his skills this summer, and when baseball comes around next year, he will be ready. I know I will be ready to be his biggest fan. 

Edited by rmaynard
  • Heart 2

squonk
21 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Some stupid Cubs fan said my White Sox would have an advantage...cents, since, sense the Sox would be used to playing in an empty stadium.  :angry-tappingfoot:

BBBWWWAAAAHHHAAAHHHAA!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

shallowwatersailor

Due to the pandemic, our local Shenandoah "Valley Baseball League" this year was cancelled. It was founded in 1897 and is now a not-for-profit organization. The 11 team rosters are filled with college baseball players from all parts of the country and play a 42 game season. Games start after Memorial Day and go until the end of July. Playoffs are then held and over by mid August. It is a real family affair with players living with local families and volunteers working the games. My Senior Season's Pass is $30.00!

Edited by shallowwatersailor
  • Sad 2

953 nut

Over the next 34 days there will be 20 NASCAR races run. There will be no fans in the stands but if you are looking for live actin on TV look no further.

tom2p
2 hours ago, shallowwatersailor said:

Due to the pandemic, our local Shenandoah "Valley Baseball League" this year was cancelled. It was founded in 1897 and is now a not-for-profit organization. The 11 team rosters are filled with college baseball players from all parts of the country and play a 42 game season. Games start after Memorial Day and go until the end of July. Playoffs are then held and over by mid August. It is a real family affair with players living with local families and volunteers working the games. My Senior Season's Pass is $30.00!

that's a bummer 

the start to our area college wood bat league (Tri-State Collegiate

League) has been delayed - no date yet 

Prospect League start was delayed to July 1

NABA League has plans to play - but no date 

but my kid hung up the cleats - so no impact to him / us ...  (for now - maybe for good ?) 

my body - throwing arm especially - has never felt better  lol

tom2p
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Over the next 34 days there will be 20 NASCAR races run. There will be no fans in the stands but if you are looking for live actin on TV look no further.

looking forward to it !

• Like 1

rmaynard
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Not really interested in watching drivers turn left for hour. :blink:

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

953 nut
4 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

To each his own!     :confusion-confused:  Watching a grown man swing a stick at a small ball and miss it the majority of the time just doesn't get my juices flowing .:teasing-neener:

• Like 2

rmaynard
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

To each his own!     :confusion-confused:  Watching a grown man swing a stick at a small ball and miss it the majority of the time just doesn't get my juices flowing .:teasing-neener:

Touché

953 nut
8 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

Touché

:bow-blue:

Guest 88vic

What a tough crowd 😂😂😂

tunahead72

True, but entertaining. :popcorn:

• Like 1

johnnymag3
On 5/16/2020 at 6:42 AM, rmaynard said:

Or for 3 Hours, and listening to commentators telling us what we are :huh:watching. . Geesh