meadowfield

Hub removal the easy way - video instruction

953 nut

I saved a picture of your puller and have shared it with several members.

1797781092_bottlejackhubpuller.JPG.fc11f8f8c9581f0d6f756c48bc636750.JPG

• Like 2

meadowfield
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

I saved a picture of your puller and have shared it with several members.

1797781092_bottlejackhubpuller.JPG.fc11f8f8c9581f0d6f756c48bc636750.JPG

thanks - this is mk2, more power!

• Like 1

WHX??

My problem would be most of the hubs I pull are the sixties style "star" hubs. This set up would shatter them easily. I need to procure, or make, an appropriate bearing separator to pull off the smaller diameter of the hub. My other problem is I tend to spend not enough time on setup and prep. Patience is indeed a virtue here which I usally have little of either! :)

All transmissions do now I attempt to get the "easy" side off if there is such a thing and split the differential in the case and take the remaining hub to the H press. sometimes the crack of them letting loose is a good thing to hear then. 

One would think this is a good setup.....

20191207_151032.jpg

NOT! 

20191207_161458.jpg

20191208_091353.jpg

20191208_105701.jpg

20191208_110113.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1

pacer

Yeah, Meadowfield was actually pretty lucky that it came off with only 3 pull points. Even with whx using all 5 pull points you get the result he shows all to often. If I dont get some pretty quick indications its wanting to come off, I do as he says and go ahead and 'bite the bullet' and pull the axle and get it in a - preferably - 20 ton press. Ive had a couple (D axles) that me and a buddy were really getting leery with the pressure we had on the press, being very difficult to even get another stroke on the jack when -----  "POW!!!" and even at that point it took great pressure to keep it moving until about the last 1/2".

Folks you have heard us talk about the most difficult things on our horses being the hubs and steering wheels, either one will make you lose your sanity!!

• Like 3

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, pacer said:

either one will make you lose your sanity

makes no real difference to me my sanity was long gone.... Many many many long times ago.

@WHX24

Jim when you get around to making that puller setup that pulls off the strong part of the hub I can bet you would sell a few of those to members.

• Like 1

meadowfield

There were four pull points when I last counted :D I couldn’t get the fifth in as the jack base was in the way....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

around to making that puller setup 

Yes I have been after Dan to get on me to make one for awhile now. I think I have a pretty good design conjured up. 

What the smallest bottle jack a guy could get get away with using? 4 ton?? 953 and GT 14 hubs can be pretty stubborn. Then there's the D's 

• Like 2

stevasaurus

I'm going to move this to the instructional threads.  Nice set up Mark.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pacer

None of the 2-3 bottle jacks I have will not pump with it on the side like that (mind you, they are a tad old) maybe the newer ones do??

meadowfield
12 hours ago, pacer said:

None of the 2-3 bottle jacks I have will not pump with it on the side like that (mind you, they are a tad old) maybe the newer ones do??

they have a feeder tube inside that runs to the bottom... I just made sure this was laid on the right side. It won't jack fully out mind - but enough to push it off.

• Thanks 1

Lee1977

Here is one that will jack side ways. Duff Norton Ram Pack I bought it in the late 70's. Has an arrow to show the side that goes up.

SAM-1204.jpg

• Like 2

Steven_McGivney
On 5/12/2020 at 7:19 AM, meadowfield said:

I get tagged quite often, as I once posted a picture of my hub puller.

I thought I would post a few pics and it in action on a 40 year old hub that had slipped in and had no set screw. This thing was tight, I had already used a lot of penetrating fluid and traditional puller.

Time to bring out the big guns - 6 ton bottle jack and hub adapter from another tractor. Plus a lot of heat - 5-10 minutes before the relief valve was no longer kicking in.

image.png.c7f097028397db84b0b86515f4609997.png

having torn down half a dozen transmissions and rebuilt them, I dug out old faithful to do the job.

6 ton bottle jack plus 5 mins of heat, the jack relief valve was kicking in. Another few mins of heat and result!

Despite a lot of penetrating fluid - which no doubt burned off - you can see just how much friction there was.

image.png.991445d8c4831a210efa5922c3f49d0c.png

Video for those wanting to see it in action.

I did similar to my 418-8, 1 1/8 axle,  one keyway refuses to come out, its real hard steel,, I have to change oil seal behind it so, I'll put it together as backwards , shaft is out,,

• Like 1

ebinmaine
26 minutes ago, Steven_McGivney said:

I did similar to my 418-8, 1 1/8 axle,  one keyway refuses to come out, its real hard steel,, I have to change oil seal behind it so, I'll put it together as backwards , shaft is out,,

Steve you can cut the woodruff key with a die grinder. Slice down the middle and it'll collapse into itself. 

• Like 1