DoctorP

NEW TO WHEELHORSE

DoctorP

Really nice, Ed. Gene Strickland said the same thing when I bought the tractor. He said these tractors last forever and never need much of anything...even the belts stick around for a while. You've got a nice place there but my question is, where in life is there this much flat ground in Pennsylvania? Our oldest daughter and her husband live in Maryland and across the line into Pennsylvania is nothing but mountains (Cacoctin Mts). Regards, dp

DoctorP

Gene Strickland told me the same thing, that these tractors need very little in terms of repairs, etc and even the belts will outlast me at age 70!  You've got a nice place there, Ed. My question is, where is there this much flat ground in Pennsylvania? Our oldest daughter and her husband live in Maryland and across the line in Pennsylvania is nothing but mountains, much like Eastern Kentucky where we lived for most of our 70 years (born and raised). We just moved to the "flat lands" a couple of months ago at the behest of our 4 children who feel like mom and dad can't take care of themselves anymore and need a bit of help. Actually, with the Corona virus we do need help and our youngest daughter who lives close by with her family is bringing our groceries and we're just staying at home.  dp

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

We do have an operator manual. Click on the pictures form more.

Added your serial number to the list. Hope I read the numbers correctly.

A good service manual but a bit newer than you tractor. 

Here is a link to everything that comes up doing a search for your model number.

https://www.wheelhorseforum.com/search/?q=61-12k802&quick=1&type=downloads_file

Garry

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Just an FYI, There is a vendors section here, and they can fix you up with the axcessories for that horse, and parts your going to need for your next horse.

Ol Geno did tell you that Horses are herd animals and they multiply.....didn't he!!!!

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

I see that you already found some useful help. I also see that you've met some of the clowns.:D

• Haha 4

Ed Kennell

I am in South Central Pa. and consider the terrain  to be rolling hills.      I am very familiar with the Thurmont, Camp David area  having hunted deer in the Catoctin Mountains.

Alan, I also became a "flat lander" after being born and raised in the Laurel Highlands of Western Pa. and attending college in the "hillbilly"  WVa. 

I'm sure you are thankful, as I am , to have family nearby during these trying times.

Best Regards

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DoctorP

Thanks to both Garry and Jim...good, needful, and useful info. To Achto, better to be a clown than an eejit. And finally, to Ed, I feel some kinship there brother. My home town is a stone's throw from Pikeville, Ky which is just across the Tug Fork of the Big Sandy away from West Virginia and right in the middle of the Hatfield - McCoy feud. I've had a lot of Hatfields and McCoys in class and they still sit on opposite sides of the room!  dp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

DoctorP

Ed, our daughter and her husband live in New Market about 15 miles south of Thurmont. I have a good tractor friend in Thurmont... Pete Knill... he came down and stayed a few days with us last summer...he had just had a heart transplant and was doing well. Drove from Maryland to Eastern Kentucky and then on to Wisconsin before driving back to Maryland. He's a gypsy!  dp

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to :rs: I noticed that no one warned you. Wheel Horse tractors are like potato chips. You can not have just one . They multiply . 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

nylyon
6 hours ago, DoctorP said:

I'd appreciate the US Army insignia if possible. 

Done, and thank you for your service!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

DoctorP

To El Camino: well, potato chips are a lot less expensive than tractors...us old people have to be careful you know... dp

Thankee Coach...I remember way back nobody thanked anybody for serving in the armed forces... it was a messed up time. Stay safe my freind... dp

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Hey @DoctorP just an FYi, if you want to call out to someone you put the @ sign then their name lide I did yours.  They will get a message that you mentioned them.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

paxz71usa

:text-welcomeconfetti:    DoctorP! You've found the right place for sure. There's no end to the information and help on this site. I have a 1973 "12 Automatic" Basically the same tractor you have except a little older and an hydro trans instead of 8 speed. I do all my mowing with it, haul wood, tow a wood splitter around the woods etc. I wouldn't be without it! Only draw back I can find is like you I'm 70 and sometimes it can be a little rough getting on and off, but well worth the effort. Enjoy the tractor!

:USA:                 Gary

• Like 1

DoctorP

@oliver2-44...Thanks for the tip. IT WORKS! I have to say, I feel even more ignorant than usual but I've grown used to it so... dp

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, DoctorP said:

@oliver2-44...Thanks for the tip. IT WORKS! I have to say, I feel even more ignorant than usual but I've grown used to it so... dp

No worries doc.

We all learn every day.

DoctorP

Thanks paxz71usa, Yep, the getting on and off is not easy with a stiff knee (replacement) and a bad back (rheumatoid arthritis). Good to hear from you. I think we are both in the same boat!  dp

DoctorP

@oliver2-44 Good morning, my friend...would you know you I can post a picture to my image frame? Right now, it just says MEMBER and I'd like to do better than that.  Regards, dp

DoctorP

Thanks, @paxz71usa. Yep, the getting on and off is not easy with a stiff knee (replacement) and a bad back (rheumatoid arthritis). Good to hear from you. I think we are both in the same boat! Maybe we can share our ailments from time to time. That may lessen the pain but I don't think it will make getting on and off that tractor any easier dp

• Haha 1

WHX??

Word of warning here Doc ...you hang out out here you just make some friends that might last a lifetime.. or you might just havta end up paying them to say be your friend... don't ask :hide: :lol:

Ed Kennell
13 hours ago, DoctorP said:

@oliver2-44 Good morning, my friend...would you know you I can post a picture to my image frame? Right now, it just says MEMBER and I'd like to do better than that.  Regards, dp

Ollie must be busy picking blackberries Alan.  

Go to the home page and click on            DoctorP

Click on                                                     edit profile.

Click on                                                      cover picture.

953 nut

:WRS:

Thank you for your service. We all welcome a diversity of garden tractor interests, but once you have gained more experience with your :wh: you will give up the GREEN and caution your grandson to stay away from them.             :ROTF:

1222673687_1Horse-a-holic.jpg.19e535697be7a8e2deb29390dd2c972a.jpg

• Haha 1

DoctorP

To all. good friends are a treasure. even though they may be separated by many miles, still friends are what makes this website or any endeavor worth while. Without friendship, tractors would just be pieces of connected metal. Thanks to all and HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! Every Sunday morning for the past many years i have sent out what I call a "Sunday Morning Email." Because our family is spread across the country and sometimes across the world, it is all I can do as a dad to keep the family together. I'm going to go out on a limb today and share this Sunday's email with all of you because it is mothers day. Let that mother in your life know how much you appreciate her. My own mother is long since passed away, but my wife, the mother of my children stands tall and straight and is an example for our family of what motherhood is really all about. Well, if we are friends, I'm glad of it so on this good Mothers Day, i share this email with you. May your day be blessed and your family drawn together around the one who makes the wheels turn in life:

Well, good Sunday morning from the shores of Stoner Creek. THIS IS MOTHER'S DAY!!! So let me begin with an ode to mothers...I call it an Ode to Mothers. Here it is:

AN ODE TO MOTHERS

Without mothers, where would we be?
Well, to start with, we without mothers, we wouldn't be.
Without mothers, this wouldn't be Mothers Day.
Without mothers, without mothers, there wouldn't be any fathers
Without fathers and mothers, there would be no people
Without people, there would be no pollution
So mothers are the cause of pollution.

Without mothers, Catholics would not have a quadrinity.
Without mothers, there would be no jokes about Jews.
Without Jews, there would have been no Holocaust
So, mothers are responsible for the Holocaust.

Without mothers, who would hold our heads when we puke?
Without mothers, how would we ever find anything in the fridge?
Without a fridge, how would we keep milk cold?
So, mothers are responsible for warm milk  (he, he, he...)

Without mothers, life would not be interesting
Without interest, we would all nod off
When we nod off, we would wreck
So, mothers are responsible for all auto accidents.

Without mothers, most things would not get done.
Without mothers, who would find lost things?
Without mothers, there would be little joy in life?
Without mothers, we would be alone in the world.
Without mothers, who would dare love us when we come short?
Without mothers, how would bills get paid?
Without mothers, who would find lost socks?
Without mothers, who would remember birthdays?
Without mothers, how would families stay together?
Without mothers, who would make life complete?
Without mothers, we would all be lost  and undone.
Without mothers, who would make sure the doors are locked?
Without mothers, who would worry about us?
Without mothers, who would tell us to turn right when we should turn right?
Without mothers, just how good could life be?
Without mothers, birds wouldn't sing, flowers wouldn't bloom, the sun wouldn't shine, life would not be complete, happiness would be just another meaningless word, Hitler would never have been born (uh oh... how did that slip in there???). Without mothers, we would not know someone is always there and even more in the bad times than the good.

For about 54 years now, I have had the greatest help-meet I could have ever hoped to have. I have had somebody who has made me whole. I have had somebody I know I can trust. I have had someone I admire. I have had someone I can depend on. I have had someone to love and someone who loves me in spite of, not because of. I have had a reason to get up in the morning. Without mom, life our family would not have an anchor...and on this mothers day, you would not be able to look back across the years and know that you are the persons you are because she took the time to care, to mend, to bind up, to look out for, to make sure of, and to always be there on our darkest day.

I want to wish all the mothers in our family a Happy Mothers Day. All of you are mothers you know. There are biological mothers, psychological mothers, adoptive mothers, mothers who have shaped you into the mother you are. Whether it be you, or Grayson, or Aiden, or Alyssa, or Eric, or whoever else might be out there that lifts you to the lofty position of mother, life has made you a mother in a very deep and abiding way, and, because of you, our lives are richer, happier, better, and more complete. On this Happy Mothers Day, the rest of us salute you. The rest of us want you to know how much we appreciate you, how much we need you, and how glad we are that on this Happy Mother's Day, you are who you are.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY... from our hearts to yours. This is YOUR day. Enjoy it and know you are loved and appreciated even though it may not always seem like it. You are at the top of life's list of blessings. Mothers, wives, sisters, by blood or marriage, thank you for being who you are. We just couldn't make it without you. How does it feel to be needed? How does it feel to be the first person on our minds when life takes a bad turn? How does it feel to allow us lucky ones to share your lives and to say, thank you and we love you today and every day.

HAPPY MOTHERS DAY! From all the rest of us.

Love, dad

• Like 1

DoctorP

Good morning @gwest_ca I wanted to thank you once again for the manuals. I have downloaded all of them and they will certainly make taking care of my Wheel Horse a lot easier. Regards, DoctorP

DoctorP

Little trouble on my end... I just bought my 1976 model c-120 and I'm having a bit of a problem with the oil. Here it is: I thought the tractor would come with the proper amount of oil so I didn't check it the first few times I used it. When I did check it, I found the oil level was barely up on the dipstick and it was black as tar. I went out and bought some SAE 30 non-detergent oil and added enough to bring it up to FULL. Mowed with it (about an acre) and it was down again to ADD mark so I added to bring it up to FULL. Mowed with it again and when I started it up, the blue smoke rolled out for about 5 minutes till the engine heated up. Then it stopped smoking. Didn't just smoke going down a hill so the head is not cracked (I don't reckon!). Went through the same procedure and mowed again with the same result...smoked for the first 10 minutes or so. I called the fellow I bought it from and he said I had the wrong dipstick. I measured the dip stick and it's 15" from tip to stopper and 18" from tip to top of pull ring. I don't think it's the wrong dip stick but he says that's the problem which I seriously doubt. Any ideas from anyone? I probably need to drain the oil and measure how many pints come out of it and then compare to specs to see what's going on. I'll just wait to see what you all say about this first. Regards,  dp