Hand operated no electricity required.

b3.png

b4.jpg

b1.jpg

b2.jpg

• Like 7

Dan.gerous

The things you find!

That will be a useful addition to the kitchen, suprising how often a meat slicer would get used in our house. It's on the long list of things we need to get some day.

• Like 1

bc.gold
6 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

The things you find!

That will be a useful addition to the kitchen, suprising how often a meat slicer would get used in our house. It's on the long list of things we need to get some day.

During WWII Manitoba had a few concentration camps with a spattering of military training sites throughout the province, from the patent date I'm guessing the meat slicer was auctioned off after the war ended.

The oddest thing that I've found was a flame thrower nick named the life buoy because it looked like an early style life preserver found on ships.

A neighbour had a garage full of old WWII communication radios from the lend lease program, these were very heavy so I parted them out and much to my surprise every screw, tube and bakelite knob sold.

Another cool find, back in the 1920's the Hudson's Bay offered from their catalogue three different hamper's you could order and have delivered as gifts. The wooden hamper box I found previously contained a liquor assortment, the empty box sold  for $500.00 on auction.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Interestingly for this topic, I used to live in Stromness (Orkney) which has strong links to the Hudson Bay company.

For some reason they employed a lot of Orcadians back in the early days, and the company's ships called into port on a regular basis.

• Excellent 1

bc.gold
1 hour ago, Dan.gerous said:

Interestingly for this topic, I used to live in Stromness (Orkney) which has strong links to the Hudson Bay company.

For some reason they employed a lot of Orcadians back in the early days, and the company's ships called into port on a regular basis.

On the local Indian reservation some Orcadian seed, Red haired natives.

The points on a Hudson's Bay blanket represented how many beaver pelts the item cost.

Long ago i was renting a house on the reservation, one day was replacing a timing chain in another fellows truck and while waiting on parts to arrive was enjoying a cigarette on the front steps of the house.

A native taking a walk recognized the truck and walked into the yard, eventually told me a story that in the old days his ancestors had to stack beaver pelts to the height of a musket in order to purchase one.

I told him if he still had that musket the Hudson's Bay would probably kiss his ass to get it back.

pelt.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

Disassembly, and learning how this slicer worked.

When the handle was pulled the rocker gear put the round toothed gear into motion which in turn made a larger chain sprocket turn a much smaller chain sprocket that gave the meat cutting blade overdrive speed.

Inside the larger chain sprocket is where it gets a bit interesting, if you look at the three slots with the short roller bearing those slots at smaller at one end. When the blade is moving in a circular motion to make a cut and the hand operated handle has to be released to grab another stroke, those three roller bearings act as a spragg clutch, which prevents the knife from reversing its rotation.

The meat tray is spring loaded, auto feed. A feature often not found on even the new meat slicers which depend of gravity feed to advance the meat or produce being sliced.

The chain appears to be the same as used on a bicycle.

Still have a ways to go before its fully disassembled and all the moving parts are freed up.

b4.jpg

chain.png

chain2.png

chain3.png

chain-spragg.png

spring-auto-feed.png

• Like 1