D_Mac

Lambert / Farm-Ette 655 Need all the help I can get.

D_Mac

That pulley is on the original engine. I was going to transfer it to the Briggs engine. Now I am not sure what I am doing. I would like to keep the original engine in it but it would need some work. Work and parts I cant really afford. Not sure what way to go. The engine that came on it originally is a 6 hp Lauson/ Tecumseh. Had electric start. It is missing the air cleaner assembly, the pull start needs to be redone. Not sure about how much compression it has. The exhaust needs help. From the start I thought it would be easy to just drop that Briggs in it. Well thats not the case. The Briggs runs great but would need some work to get it fitted to the tractor. As usual I am stuck again.

20200502_161545.jpg

20200502_161556.jpg

20200516_200526.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

squonk

I would use a Tecky for a paper weight and that's about it. Not a fan of them and one that's sat outside, I wouldn't touch it. Can't go wrong with a Briggs. Yes it will take work to make it fit but It may be cheaper and less frustrating than getting that Tecky to run. I'm sure I can get that pulley off.

D_Mac

I am thinking it just might be easier to buy another one then spend any more time with that one. I tried again and now its stripped out. All that I have done to it past couple of days is that I painted the mower deck. I also got 2 new pieces of chain and S hooks for it. I also painted the inside of that fancy steering wheel thats on it. Not much more I can do until I get the tie rod.

WHNJ701

had the same issue on sears tractor pulley, I used this and came right out

20200523_185520.jpg

953 nut
On 5/20/2020 at 6:33 PM, D_Mac said:

Gas tank will have to be mounted on side of hood.

Have you considered mounting a smaller tank that will fit under the hood?

On 5/22/2020 at 5:54 PM, D_Mac said:

That set screw finally stripped out, so looks like drill it or look for a new pulley.

If you want to drill the setscrew out you will need to heat it to red hot and let it air cool first, they are hardened steel.

squonk

Like I said. I can get that pulley off with the setscrew still in it. Then it can be addressed when it's off the motor

D_Mac

I believe I have to have the tank above the carb. There is no room under the hood to fit a tank that would be above the carb. I would love to put it under the seat where the battery was but that requires a fuel pump. Main thing now is I just want to see if it will drive. That tranny is still very " iffy" If i get the tie rod I can get it up ramps to bring it to my cousins so he can weld the steering support that is broke. Then I can get the engine mounted to see if it will even drive. If it shifts freely then I can figure out how to stuff it all under the hood. Thats my plan anyways. We all know things dont always go as planned though. 

4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Have you considered mounting a smaller tank that will fit under the hood?

If you want to drill the setscrew out you will need to heat it to red hot and let it air cool first, they are hardened steel.

953 nut
8 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Thats my plan anyways.

th?id=OIP.vkcvYIQnsjz3IoDuJRdITgHaJj&pid=Api&P=0&w=300&h=300

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

D_Mac

Just got word that my tie rod is done and in the mail. I have to work on getting that pulley off. Guess I am either going to have to get the drill out or other option is i can get a new one on Ebay for about 30 bucks shipped. Leaning towards a new one.

308700563_20200525_2131161.jpg.aa55d2dfbb7775d32f4bb3762631c1ee.jpg

• Like 3

squonk

All you need is the correct puller to get that pulley off which I have. Load that Briggs in the truck and bring it to me.

• Heart 1

D_Mac
29 minutes ago, squonk said:

All you need is the correct puller to get that pulley off which I have. Load that Briggs in the truck and bring it to me.

lol I already ordered a new pulley.... besides the pulley is on the Techy and I didnt think Tecumseh was allowed at your house !

• Haha 1

squonk

Tecky's are allowed here. The leave on scrap day! :banana-wrench:

• Haha 2

D_Mac

in between the showers today I tried mocking up the engine. If I can make this work it looks like I am going to have to drill a couple of holes in the frame. I dont have a drill or bits for that now. It is also hard trying to line it up without the pulley on the shaft. Maybe tomorrow or Sat along with the tie rod I will get them. Hate to spoil the looks of it by putting the gas tank on the side of the hood but that looks like the only place. So it has pretty much new front end,  4 brand new tires and new drive chains, some sheet metal work and primer and paint. Not so bad as far as money goes but I cant tell you how many hours of work so far. Still not done but inching closer. Come along way from when I got it.

20200528_171805.jpg

20200528_171739.jpg

00q0q_7RXbbUuKifP_1200x900.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Excellent 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

Well the tie rod never made it here. I could have walked there, picked it up and walked back by this time. USPS said it would be here Friday. According to the tracking it just arrived in Rochester today. It was only coming from 200 miles away. Was sent the 26th.. So I thought I would put the deck on since I cant do anything else. Bad pic you can hardly see it. Most likely that deck hasnt been on it for at least 20 yrs. I am pretty sure the engine I have isnt going to fit. The shaft is to long. My options are try and fix the original 6hp Lauson/Tecumseh. Needs a lot of work, has been sitting outside for 20 yrs. did have oil and compression when I picked it up though. Been looking for replacement. Went to get a Predator Engine last week they didnt have any. They told me next week. here we are next week and they still dont have any. Now they tell me try tuesday. I am stuck.

20200531_181429.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2

balconio

i like the honda clone engines, but sometimes they can be a pain fitment-wise because of how much the cylinder cants backwards, instead of straight up like the old sidevalve engines. it might all clear that steering shaft though, and if the tank fits under the hood and the shaft lines up then that's multiple issues solved.

you could try to fabricate an engine mounting plate, so you can use the original engine mount slots and shuck the whole Briggs engine over enough to make the shaft length work. for the tank i suppose in a pinch you could use something like this- the capacity is a little low at 1 liter but it would be easy to find room under the hood. https://www.amazon.com/JRL-Petrol-Pocket-Rocket-Scooter/dp/B01A0B9E8C

OR you could try to integrate one of these onto the hood and you'd have an envious 5 gallon fuel supply! https://www.amazon.com/Generator-Gallon-Chrome-Filter-Petcock/dp/B07Q8F3SBJ

D_Mac

The thing with the Briggs I would have to mount it so far over to the left it would be hanging off the side of the frame. I need to find a 6hp or fix the one I have, or the Predator. I think with the Predator the whole thing will fit under the hood. Just have to make sure pulley will line up. 

D_Mac

Well my tie rod finally arived today !!!! Put it on and I couldnt be more happy with it. K and B Horse Parts did an excellent job on it. Thank You ! Another step closer.....

20200601_171535.jpg

• Excellent 3

D_Mac

Well got a visit from @Chris G this morning. He was kind enough to come over my house to give me some pointers on the project. he agrees that it would be better just to look for a new engine then to try to get that Briggs to fit. He was going to look through his stuff to see if he had one. I will be looking for a 6hp Tecumseh. Chris sure knows what he is talking about and a great guy. You be a fool not to follow his advice. Hopefully I can find one and keep the project moving along. Thanks again Chris for taking the time and the advice !!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

6hp tech engines are common on snowblowers 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

There's a Tecky WH snoblower engine on CL  Don

• Thanks 1

D_Mac
2 hours ago, squonk said:

There's a Tecky WH snoblower engine on CL  Don

Yes I have been looking at that one. Thats a long way to go only to possible find out it isnt any better then the one I took off of it. I am waiting to hear back from @Chris G . He said he was going to look through his stuff to see if he had one. If that other one was closer I would go have a look at it.

squonk
19 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

Yes I have been looking at that one. Thats a long way to go only to possible find out it isnt any better then the one I took off of it. I am waiting to hear back from @Chris G . He said he was going to look through his stuff to see if he had one. If that other one was closer I would go have a look at it.

Just about anything would be better than the original tecky

• Haha 1

D_Mac

I havent gave up on this project. Still waiting for an engine to pop up. I did drain the cleaning mixture out of the transmission today. Replaced the gasket, and filled it with gear oil. Job was harder then it should have been as I should have done it before I put the body parts back on. Still no engines at Harbor Freight. Havent seen a decent 6hp engine on CL either. It is off the dollies but needs a little bit of welding on the steering support. Hopefully I will find an engine soon.

post-9535-0-91969300-1370550111.jpg

• Like 3

953 nut

What ever possessed them to use that model number?

maxresdefault.jpg

• Haha 2

troutbum70

My thoughts as well, why that number? I suppose they thought at that time they were building a beast, lets model it as such.