D_Mac

Lambert / Farm-Ette 655 Need all the help I can get.

Oldskool

I'm keeping my fingers crossed. You did a great job with it. You will definitely  enjoy it. On to the next one?

D_Mac

Already got the next one and already started it ! See my post about my 1969 Simplicity 727 Broadmoor.

71_Bronco

Looks good, that black motor goes with the two-tone coloring you've got going on.

How is it filling the tank? Looks kinda tight, but I may be missing something.

D_Mac

Oh no problem, even though I havent put oil or gas in it yet. The hood tilts open exposing everything. I got the throttle inkage in the mail today so I will be finishing it soon.

3 hours ago, 71_Bronco said:

Looks good, that black motor goes with the two-tone coloring you've got going on.

How is it filling the tank? Looks kinda tight, but I may be missing something.

• Like 2

71_Bronco

lol, I totally didn't catch that the hood flips up. :handgestures-thumbupright:

D_Mac

Well , I bolted down the engine today, put fresh oil and gas in it..... fired it up. Good news is the engine runs great and fits in perfect. Bad news is I need to get a new belt and I need to make up a belt guide to keep the belt from coming off the pull when tension is released. The belt was to loose and I cant tighten it any further as the engine is all the way forward. I am a little worried as even with the loose belt the wheel on the tranny kept spinning and tranny was grinding when I tried putting it in gear. I am hoping with a tighter belt and a belt guide I will have better luck. Unless I am doing something wrong. Any suggestions??? Sorry, I should have taken a picture. This is only shot I have of the belt side on the Lambert. Blow it up you can see the pulleys. Original engine had 2 belt guides in front of the engine pulley. One for the drive and one for the deck belt. I am not running a deck belt....... yet. The only way to take up or loosen tension on the drive belt is sliding the engine forward or backwards. The idler pulley sitting to the top right of the transmission pulley will travel down when pressing the clutch/brake. Anyone following this, I like to hear your opinion.  You can see the belts guides that I am missing. They were not on the original engine when I got it.Thanks

blob.png.61711dda2135e04116f57f1b8756df55.png

20200715_110751.jpg

20200715_115720.jpg

Oldskool

@D_Mac here is what I used for guides on my Speedex. They were cut down and from an old craftsman mower. Does the idler engage using the footboard?

20200716_060457.jpg

Edited by Oldskool

D_Mac

Yes when I press the pedal it releases tension. I think that the belt is just to loose so there isnt much tension to release. Yes I am hoping I can make up a belt guide close to what you have in your photo. There are holes in the Predator engine where I can mount something. Just have to bend something up.

Oldskool
5 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Yes I am hoping I can make up a belt guide close to what you have in your photo. There are holes in the Predator engine where I can mount something. Just have to bend something up.

You could get a large hook and eye set from the hardware store and remove the eye from the hook then cut and bend to shape. The hole for the bolt would already be on it that

D_Mac

@Oldskool I am having trouble with getting the belt to release from the pulley on the transmission.The belt sits rather deep in the grove. When I press the clutch to release tension it still spins. You try and put it in gear it grinds. I tried making the belt real tight and making it real loose. Same thing

Oldskool

Are you using  a 1/2 belt and maybe it should be a 5/8?

D_Mac

Thats what I am thinking. I need a wider belt. It sits in deep on the tranny pully. I almost feel that there should be some kind of brake on that pulley but looking at the diagram I dont see any. Frustrating that I got it this far and now stuck AGAIN !

Oldskool

What is the width of the pulley at the inside edges

D_Mac

I will have to go measure. I assumed it was 1/2 inch. I also ordered and installed the 1/2 inch pulley for the crank shaft. Guess I will have to get a 5/8 pulley for the crank. No idea on how I would measure to see what size belt I would need when I dont have the belt. Plus the pulley on the crank shaft is a double pulley, the other goes to the deck. I dont have the belt for the deck either so I need to dig that out and measure the pulley on there. Then I can order another double pulley for the crank. Jeeez, No one told me there would be math envolved !!!!!

Oldskool

Hope this may help. 1st pic is the old drive pulley from my GT. 2nd pick is a 1/2 belt in it. 3rd is a 5/8 belt

20200716_210837.jpg

20200716_210545.jpg

20200716_210647.jpg

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

this is what I got going. the pulley on the crank is 1/2 inch. The pulley on the tranny is larger. Do I need to change the crank pulley if I go with a wider belt? How do I figure out what length belt I would need if i got a 5/8 belt? Right now with this 1/2 belt I press the clutch the belt says deep in the grove of the tranny and keeps spinning it even though the belt on the crank pulley is out of the groove.

20200717_100559.jpg

20200717_100625.jpg

Oldskool

As far as belt length goes. I use an old belt that Ive cut then put everything in its neutral position (idler and what not). I route the belt as it should be, ending at the engine pulley. Then on the engine pulley instead of putting the belt in the groove I just wrap it around the outside egde. That allows for enough slack to be able to install the belt. Once routed just mark it then measure

• Like 1

Oldskool

I'm thinking the pulleys are ok. Maybe you just need a longer belt. As long as the belt slips on one of the pulleys you should be ok

• Like 1

D_Mac

I picked up a different pulley for the crank. Ordered a couple of belts off the internet, waiting for them to be shipped.

20200715_110751.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2

D_Mac

Well here I am stuck again. I changed the crank pulley to accept a 5/8" belt. I ordered 2 belts and got them in the mail today. No matter what I do I can not get the transmission pulley to stop spinning enough to get it in gear without grinding. I have tried several different time to adjust tension on the belt. The tension on the belt will get loose and balloon away from the pulley but just not loose enough to stop the tranny pulley from spinning. Looking at the parts diagram the only thing I am missing is the belt guide that mounts in front of the belt coming from the engine pulley. I cant figure out what else I can do at this point. As I have said 100 times I am no mechanic, I cant think of anything else I can do. Also I need to adjust the toe in toe out on the front wheels. I did jam it into gear and drive down the driveway but when I went to turn around the front wheels turned but it just skidded straight. i am assuming I need to adjust the tie rod ends for that. Any help with how I can get the belt to balloon off the pulley and set the toe on the front tires??? H E L P !!! 

WHNJ701

you really should do some research,  look at pictures online, your belt routing is wrong!

l8.jpg.jpeg

Edited by jabelman

D_Mac

@jabelman Oh but I have done my research. That set up in your photo is not what I have on mine. This is my set up. this shows the belt routing that would be for my set up. Like I said the only thing I am missing is the belt guides in front of the pulley on the crankshaft. I also am not running the deck belt so I only have a single pulley coming off the crank. My routing is correct. When I picked up the tractor it had a belt on it, also routed as shown. There is a drive belt and a deck belt. I just running the drive belt for now. If I can get it to work I will attach the deck and get the correct belt for the deck.

20200722_212731.jpg

20200501_202023.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

grnlark

D_MAC, I swapped the motor in my Lambert 655 to a Kohler, but routed the belt exactly how the original Tec was set up. Figuring the correct belt length was a pain, but I used a piece if string to get me in the ballpark. Then I went to Tractor Supply and literally bought 10 belts in 1 inch length varying size increments (up and down). I nailed down the correct length and still had the same issue as you. The solve for me was when I went back to TS and switched to the blue Kevlar belt. Any belt you dont use, just return. 

** apparently I can't post pics because my paid subscription here expired. I'm not on here enough to want to renew, so message me a number that I can text you. I'll send some pics

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac
2 hours ago, grnlark said:

D_MAC, I swapped the motor in my Lambert 655 to a Kohler, but routed the belt exactly how the original Tec was set up. Figuring the correct belt length was a pain, but I used a piece if string to get me in the ballpark. Then I went to Tractor Supply and literally bought 10 belts in 1 inch length varying size increments (up and down). I nailed down the correct length and still had the same issue as you. The solve for me was when I went back to TS and switched to the blue Kevlar belt. Any belt you dont use, just return. 

** apparently I can't post pics because my paid subscription here expired. I'm not on here enough to want to renew, so message me a number that I can text you. I'll send some pics

I just tried to message you and it says you dont receive messages..... dont know why. Try messaging me. Thanks

squonk

@D_Mac, I can send him your phone # if it's ok. then you can send them with your phone. I asked him to help you out.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1