D_Mac

Lambert / Farm-Ette 655 Need all the help I can get.

953 nut
9 hours ago, D_Mac said:

I was looking at the original engine, it has compression, but it most likely will need a new carb, the gas tank was like swiss cheese I looked online for another and no luck. Then I would need to mount a new one somewhere, maybe new points.. ect. It does have electric start but I dont even know if it works. Has these glass fuses mounted on the engine, I never seen anything like that before.

That is a Lauson Engine like the ones used on the :wh: Suburban 550 and 551 models. The two upright thingies below the fuse are diodes that take the AC generated by the engine alternator and converts (rectifies) it to DC to charge the battery. If you don't decide to use that engine I'm sure someone on here would love to have it.

20200517_172529.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Thanks @953 nut that is good to know. I was trying to get this done on the cheap, but guess what, its not so cheap anymore. Having the original engine would be great but the most expensive way to go at this point. I most likely will hang on to it to have it if I ever sell this thing. I am sure the engine alone in its current condition isnt worth a whole lot alone but the complete tractor would be the better value. Not sure about how to add the fuel pump to the Briggs. The videos I see of installing one are on a OHV engine and they mount them on the valve cover. Not an option in my case. Nothing is going easy. I thought that Briggs would drop right in. Was hoping to get some paint down today ... but no its raining. Everything is in primer, frame and wheels painted. Guess I will make a trip to Harbor Freight see if they have one on display. @953 nut Thanks for hanging with me !

Edited by D_Mac
  • Heart 1

troutbum70

For a fuel pump you could always go with an electric powered by a lithium rechargeable 9 volt battery, I would think it would run a little electric pump all day. If not have a second at the ready. Just a thought.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Food for thought:

I have 2 C-105's - had a 10 hp Kohler rebuilt on one as well as installed a HF Predator on a roller... The rebuilt cost way more, but it is original and it is a direct bolt on...

The predator cost a lot less, but necessitated some "engineering" to insure proper pulley placement etc. It was not a "big" deal, but it is important to note that you will need some drilling, bracketing and measuring to get it to line up with the drive belt...It was really a lot of fun to get it to line up and then actually work! Also, I only use my Predator powered tractor for pulling / cruising so I do not have or need a PTO. If you do, I understand from other threads that getting a PTO for the Predator is another issue to address due to shaft diameter / length.

It's great what you are doing!

• Like 1

D_Mac

Well back from Harbor Freight. They didnt have the engine I was interested in. I looked at the one displayed and I think I am back to where I started. I think the easiest thing to do is mount the gas tank on the side of the hood like how it is on my other tractor. I dont like it but seems like that would be all I could do myself. The biggest problem I am having now it finding bushings and tie rod for front end. When I try to find some they want a part number or when I look online it says " fits this model" tractor and dont give measurements. I stopped at a shop today and the guy didnt seem to want to help as he said " this will take forever" I said " I have time". Well he didnt want to hold up the line and would call me.  Yeah Sureeeee he will. If anyone has any ... the spindle shaft is 3/4". The sleeve on the axle is 1.25" from outside edge to outside edge. The inside is 1". Going to need 4 . The tie rods I havent been able to get loose yet. I have no torch and try to turn them everyday. Might have to bring it over my cousins to get them off so I can measure the threads. I would object to getting a new bar and new ends. I really want to get the front end back on so I can at least get it off the jack so I can roll it around

D_Mac

Well I went back to my trustee hardware store again and asked about the bushing and guess what ..... BINGO. Must be the other kid didnt know what a bushing was. I am still working on the tie rod. Cant get the ends off. Is one right hand thread and the other end left ? Im happy i got the bushings, washers, and the shaft collars. Looking at the 8hp Briggs. Next to the oil cap, is that where you would put the opening for the Pulse fuel pump? My garage I cant walk around to even do anything untill it stops raining. Paint on parts drying all over. The chain should come tomorrow. Put that on then I can get some body parts on.

20200518_190005.jpg

20200518_190038.jpg

20200518_102018.jpg

20200518_190457.jpg

20200518_190421.jpg

• Like 5

D_Mac

All day working on the Lambert. Try to order a tie rod from @76c12091520h I havent received a reply yet. Got it pretty much back together except for the steering wheel, rack and pinion, tie rod, and yes the engine. I ran out of gas. I will see if the Briggs will fit in there tomorrow. If it does I will begin working on it. I need to find a tie rod as I discovered a crack in it when I removed the ends today. Put the rest of the front end together... bushings fit like a glove. The chain came in the mail so I installed them both.Then I began putting it together. Wish I had some help, the paint got all scratched up but I will touch it up when done. Seems this thread has lost interest but I will keep posting, maybe your just looking at the pics.

20200501_202005.jpg

20200501_202023.jpg

20200519_190907.jpg

20200519_194921.jpg

20200519_194938.jpg

20200519_194951.jpg

20200519_195005.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

76c12091520h

Sending pm now

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Looks beautiful!

Nice work!

:notworthy:

• Thanks 1

953 nut
On 5/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, D_Mac said:

Not sure about how to add the fuel pump to the Briggs. The videos I see of installing one are on a OHV engine and they mount them on the valve cover.

You have a valve cover located on the side of the engine block. It is where the valve springs would be accessed and would be an ideal location for a vacuum hose connection.

• Thanks 1

squonk

Mount the tank higher than the carb! :) (just kidding) Lets see a pic of your old tie rod. Maybe we can make one. I'm hopping around the house after knee surgery. Maybe next week I may take a run your way to relieve some boredom

• Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I like the color . It is going to be a nice looking trailer queen when you get finished.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

I saw your post on the tie rod in the vendor section. Ball Joint ends can be gotten from Napa, Grainger or McMaster -Carr , TSC. Round stock from TSC too. A little threading and BOOM! Tie rod!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

I ordered the tie rod from @76c12091520h He is going to make it and send it off for me. Today I finished up the paint work. Amazing how much effort is involved in painting it and how little effort it takes to scratch it. I dont have it in me to lay on any more coats. It will have to do. At this point I am stuck. Going to need some welding done. I am also going to need to drill out some mounting holes for the engine. It is just barely going to fit under the hood. I am going to try to get my cousins help on those things but will have to wait untill I get the tie rod. To hard to get it up and down ramps the way it is now. Most likely I am not going to install the mower deck as I cant free up the deck height locking button. Like the engine I will keep all the original stuff together. While the new engine was on the floor I sprayed a little starting fluid in the carb and one pull it fired up after sitting for 17 yrs The air cleaner and exhaust are super tight under the hood. May need to be modified. Gas tank will have to be mounted on side of hood. Not comfortable in drilling a hole in the engine. Anyways here it is mocked up. I dont plan on painting the engine. I plan on adding white or red pinstripe when its all together.

20200520_123523.jpg

20200520_123554.jpg

20200520_123608.jpg

20200520_152444.jpg

20200520_152501.jpg

20200520_152554.jpg

20200520_152538.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

WHNJ701

make up 4 spacers and use longer bolts if you have to raise the hood a little bit for clearance.

• Like 3

oliver2-44

Looks great, keep up the good work.

953 nut
19 hours ago, squonk said:

I'm hopping around the house after knee surgery. Maybe next week I may take a run your way

Mike,   :confusion-confused:    do you think it is a good idea to go for a long run that soon after knee surgery?      Might want to drive instead!          :ychain:

Get well soon Mike!

• Haha 1

squonk
9 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Mike,   :confusion-confused:    do you think it is a good idea to go for a long run that soon after knee surgery?      Might want to drive instead!          :ychain:

Get well soon Mike!

I was going to drive a horse. :)

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

D_Mac

Well this is getting frustrating. I forgot to drain the ATF/Acetone out of the tranny and put the gasket on the case before I reassembled it all..... ugh..... Now I have been rolling around trying to figure out how the rack and pinion assembly goes back on. There seems to be a brace that went between the frame rails the holds the gear in place. It fell off when I took it apart but is it supposed to be welded in place? Is it suppose to be on an angle or straight across? I have to get this done before I can begin on trying to figure out the engine placement. I also cant get one of the set screws out off the old engine to pull the pulley off. I got one out but the second one isnt budging. I heated that thing with a little bernzamatic I been soaking it everyday it isnt coming out. Makes me think if I could even get the pulley off if it even does come loose. I really need help. I have never done anything like this before.

WHNJ701

Post a pic of the engine pulley

D_Mac

Gonna heat it up again tomorrow. I dont want to drill it because I cant retap it if i do.

20200521_174128.jpg

20200521_174205.jpg

20200521_174158.jpg

WHNJ701

if your not running the mower,  just buy a single groove pulley off ebay or something 

D_Mac

Well backwards step today. That set screw finally stripped out, so looks like drill it or look for a new pulley. Funny thing happened though I replyed to a for sale ad for a Wheel Horse today. Got to talking to the guy his name is Chris  and guess what he is a member here . @Chris G I said heyyyy Your name has been brought up to me about reaching out out to you about my projects. I told him he has a fine reputation around here. He might come by next week to take a look at this thing. I am sure I made many mistakes he can point out and lead me in the direction I need to go. I look forward to meeting him. He sounded like a good guy and very knowledgeable. The complete opposite of me I guess. He said I might be better off getting the original Lauson/Tecumseh engine running and using that insted of the Briggs. In the mean time I am still waiting to hear about the tie rod. I got the rack n pinion figured out < i think> . have to wait for tie rod to see.

• Like 4

ebinmaine

Chris is good people.

He'll treat you right..

• Thanks 1

squonk

Why do you need to get that pulley off? If you had a puller like this you could still get that pulley off even with the set screw still in it. I've done it many times on blower housings.

62593_I.jpg.6d33b74851b43d92474dc5e1f2e08542.jpg

Large plate goes behind the pulley and a nice even pull. If you decide you absolutely  need to get that pulley off bring it to me