D_Mac

Lambert / Farm-Ette 655 Need all the help I can get.

D_Mac

Well spent a couple of hours in the garage beating on this transmission. First I hammered on the sliding gears.. nope.. wont budge. Then I decided to remove the tranny completely. I first removed the small gear on the left side that drives the chain. Came right off no problem. Then on to the big pulley on the right side. Removed the bolt that secures it to the shaft tried sliding it off..... nope dosnt want to come off. Whacked that thing with a mallet for some time... nope not budging. Sprayed it down with Liquid Wrench and called it quits before my blood pressure goes any higher. Need a gear puller I think or a torch or a bigger hammer. I seem to be at a stand still.

• Sad 2

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

stand still

Those are your key words right there. Spray it every 12 hours with liquid wrench for about 2 weeks and then see what happens.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Kinda like the stay at home orders... just keep extending the liquid wrench "soak time" each week... you will get there...

:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

WHNJ701
49 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Those are your key words right there. Spray it every 12 hours with liquid wrench for about 2 weeks and then see what happens.

I think we have been trying to get that point across

• Like 1

953 nut
2 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Sprayed it down with Liquid Wrench and called it quits before

confucius-say.png.f0ae807c864e44f056e262a2cc0c0c15.png

• Like 1

D_Mac

I have a dumb question.... If after all this time and I still cant get the gears to slide on the shaft... how do I get them out of the case to even replace them? I am thinking the gears have to be able to slide off the end of the shaft to remove the shaft from the case. Thats a pic before the soaking. It looks better now.

20200507_123243.jpg

oliver2-44

Many auto supplies loan out tools. Sounds like a bearing separator and matching puller would help you out

oliver2-44

I think putting that whole tranny in an E-tank would work wonders. A large trash can would be a good size, or if you have a plastic barrel.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, D_Mac said:

all this time

You've only been working on this transmission for just a few days. It's very realistic to expect those gears to need to soak for weeks.

I do understand you're very driven to get this taken apart but you need to let it sit in its own stew and not touch it. Patience and time is the only way to get that thing apart.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Patience, tools, and know how are in short supply over here. Call me stupid but I got a realllllly good deal on 4 tires so I am going to take the wheels off today and drop them off to have the tires mounted. I couldnt pass it up. 12 x 6 tires very popular?

3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

You've only been working on this transmission for just a few days. It's very realistic to expect those gears to need to soak for weeks.

I do understand you're very driven to get this taken apart but you need to let it sit in its own stew and not touch it. Patience and time is the only way to get that thing apart.

ebinmaine

Niiiice

• Thanks 1

squonk

I Assume you got that tranny to shift? I would have stopped by but we're starting to get swamped.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

It busted loose today. Going to let it soak a few more days while I debate on if I want to pull it apart or just see and try to use it as is. If I pull it apart I could clean up the gears and shafts better but then I would need new bearings and I would have to pull it apart and who knows if I could get it back together. No press or anything. Dropped the wheels off today for new tires. I might be able to get a real good deal on a bunch of 6 x 12 tires. I will let you know soon. I mentioned before my nieces husband family owns a salvage yard and some time ago they bought a whole mess of those tires. I told him to paint the rims while he has them. My choices were black or black so I went with black. I wanted to paint them white but oh well. I also took the main chain off. Its as stiff as a board. Is chain expensive? How do you know what size it is? I thought it was stamped on the chain but I didnt see any marks Would soaking it help or just get new? Im glad I got the gears free just wish I could get in there better to file a little smoother. 

• Like 2

953 nut

:woohoo:          you got it turning and shifting in record time.  Chain isn't very expensive and any good hardware store or industrial supply house will be able to match it up for you and cut the length you need. Just take the old chains with you.

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

file

PLEASE DON'T file gears.... Unless of course you're a trained machinist.

I learned a looong time ago gears should be left alone whenever possible.

I'd be interested to see what the tires are you have access to.

• Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice job!

:thumbs:

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

Excellent.
After you soak it a few more days now that it’s moving you could try what I’ve done to a rusty tranny I had.  
Do you have access to an electric motor, and a way to rig a belt or chain to the tranny, or even to the axle?  First I put a scrap of  1/2” plywood under the jack stands the tractor was up on. Then I ran a belt from the drive pulley, around the rear axles and to a wash machine motor behind the tractor. I tightened the motor to the belt and used several drywall screws to fasten the electric motor to the Plywood. The belt doesn’t have to be super tight. Then I filled the tranny with diesel and used the motor to run the tranny in each gear for 15-20 minutes. Then I drained the tranny.  Then I refilled with diesel again and ran it an hour in each gear.  With everything turning and working it cleaned up better than just soaking it. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac
4 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

PLEASE DON'T file gears.... Unless of course you're a trained machinist.

I learned a looong time ago gears should be left alone whenever possible.

I'd be interested to see what the tires are you have access to.

I will show off the tires as soon as I get them back. He told me he wanted to get rid of them all. All I know is that he is giving me a pair for my tractor and I had him order me a pair for the fronts. The 2 fronts I have to pay for. I told him if he was serious about getting rid of all the 12 x 6's to give me a price maybe I take them all. I have to see what he says. He said his Dad ordered them long time ago, they are older but never used and stored properly. You dont think I should take a small file and try to smooth out any small little rough spots from the pitting on the shaft ?

2 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

Excellent.
After you soak it a few more days now that it’s moving you could try what I’ve done to a rusty tranny I had.  
Do you have access to an electric motor, and a way to rig a belt or chain to the tranny, or even to the axle?  First I put a scrap of  1/2” plywood under the jack stands the tractor was up on. Then I ran a belt from the drive pulley, around the rear axles and to a wash machine motor behind the tractor. I tightened the motor to the belt and used several drywall screws to fasten the electric motor to the Plywood. The belt doesn’t have to be super tight. Then I filled the tranny with diesel and used the motor to run the tranny in each gear for 15-20 minutes. Then I drained the tranny.  Then I refilled with diesel again and ran it an hour in each gear.  With everything turning and working it cleaned up better than just soaking it. 

Sounds like a good idea I think the only electric motor I have is an old sewing machine motor. Not sure if it would turn it. I might try it.

Here is inside the tranny when I first took the lid off and here it is today busted loose and soaking in ATF and acetone. I got in there with a little wire brush that you would use to clean battery terminals and a small chisel to scrape and brush all the loose rust I could. As you can see its still rough. Also does anyone know where I can get a shifter boot for this? Like to keep any further water out. 

20200506_164131.jpg

20200507_123307.jpg

20200513_140101.jpg

Edited by D_Mac

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, D_Mac said:

take a small file and try to smooth out any small little rough spots from the pitting on the shaft

I know these aren't high pressure high revving machines but I'd let the transmission do it's own work by the method explained above.

• Like 1

D_Mac

Do any of you guys know what this is called ? I am missing one and dont know what to call it to look it up so I can find another one. They are on the front spindles. 2 hold the tires on and 2 are on the top of the spindes holding it to the axel. If I cant find another I thought about push nuts to hold the front wheels on. I dont have any experience with push nuts. If you look close at last photo you can see the one I am missing on left side.

20200514_095217.jpg

20200514_095225.jpg

20200513_105423.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I don't know the technical name but I would call it a capped locking collar.

McMaster-Carr may have those available

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Shaft Collar.

You can get them in a range of sizes.

I use them to hold the wheels on one of my home made wheel barrow trailers...

• Like 3

D_Mac

I dont see any like this one with the closed end. Maybe I will just get two push nuts to hold wheel on and use one from the wheel for the other one on top.