Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

lynnmor
1 hour ago, adsm08 said:

Building permits are unconstitutional.

Paying to have someone give you permission to build something on your own property seems like a poor way to make this country great.  Sure, you could build something that has negative real effects on others, but we have courts for that.

• Like 1

19richie66

Well the trailer is empty and my bank account has been somewhat refreshed. On to the next adventure. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

sergeant
10 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Paying to have someone give you permission to build something on your own property seems like a poor way to make this country great.  Sure, you could build something that has negative real effects on others, but we have courts for that.

There are some reason for permits. To make sure you don't build a Hazard for the next owner of your Property or Your Neighbors around you.

Look at a Normal residential subdivision,  say 1/4 acre lots. How close are the houses together? You wire Your House wrong, it causes a fire, and Maybe You burn a few Neighbors Houses down in the Process and Kill a few people, all because you didn't do your wiring to the local code. But if It was done to code, and It was inspected right. You don't usually have to worry about it, If Your House catches On fire & You catch other Houses on fire In the Process. Your Homeowners Insurance will pay the Bills and lessen the chance of a Lawsuit from your Neighbors,   Some Permits are silly.

In my Town, though, the Permit fees are Not Terribly high. But those fees are what Pays are Police Department(4 full time officers and 3 Part time) and what few city employees we have (most are Part Time). We don't Have Manufacturers. We Have 4 to 5 Business In town Including the Post office In that Basically 2 Horse Facilities and 1 Is a private club, 3 Businesses down town, Mechanic Garage, engineer firm and a company that specializes I think In Home stereo system installs & 1 Grammar school.    So the Tax Base is really the homeowners. So the Permit Fees is what really keeps this town of 2,700 a float. Where surrounded By 50,000 people + towns though.

My last I house was Unincorporated. The only thing, you worried about for permits was Fence, Roof,  House addition/Structure and Driveway. I did Have to Pay a Permit fee for My 12x20 shed 10 years after I Built it. Because they would see it when they inspect the whole Property when I was putting in a New concrete Driveway. That Permit fee was what they did instead of a fine.

The only thing I hate is to have a concrete truck come I Have to Pay a $5,000 Bond (refundable) for a road That even the cement truck won't drive on, and they Can get To My House by turning on my street before they even cross the road You need the Bond for. I hate that worse than a Permit fee.

I Know the Town's Building inspector very well, I'll call him to see if I even need a permit

About the Only thing You Can't have in this Town is (chain-link/ cyclone fence) Unless You have over 40 acres. I am on 3.9 acres In My Subdivision.

So I really do understand a Need for a Permit or Permission on my own Property because it Protects me and My Neighbors from Poor work and ending up in court  Paying a $300 hr Mouth Piece

Edited by sergeant
  • Like 2

adsm08
11 hours ago, lynnmor said:

42 minutes ago, sergeant said:

There are some reason for permits. To make sure you don't build a Hazard for the next owner of your Property or Your Neighbors around you.

I understand, and don't even disagree in principal, with the idea of building permits. I think however, the process needs to be changed.

In my township everything can be in order and they can still deny you if they don't want you building what you want, and it has happened. I think it should be a "shall issue" type affair. If everything is in order per building codes then they have to give you the permit. If they want a buffer between buildings at property lines then the municipality needs to retain ownership of the buffer zone, so that I'm not paying taxes on part of a lot I can't really use. It should also only be a flat application/paperwork fee, no progressive rate schedule based on the price of the job to be done.

• Like 1

sergeant
11 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I understand, and don't even disagree in principal, with the idea of building permits. I think however, the process needs to be changed.

In my township everything can be in order and they can still deny you if they don't want you building what you want, and it has happened. I think it should be a "shall issue" type affair. If everything is in order per building codes then they have to give you the permit. If they want a buffer between buildings at property lines then the municipality needs to retain ownership of the buffer zone, so that I'm not paying taxes on part of a lot I can't really use. It should also only be a flat application/paperwork fee, no progressive rate schedule based on the price of the job to be done.

I own the Middle of My road  We have an association (thank God the rules are if Towns OK with it were OK with It)  we Have No common Property  so were all responsible for are roads. Very few Roads are actually owned or Maintained By the Village  and they Only thing is for our association we will not send an email OKing Your Project if You Haven't Paid You're once a Year (most People Pay $210.00 a Year) association fee  as Long as You Pay that yearly we could careless what You do on your own Property. Last Place I Lived, I could build to within 4 feet of My Neighbor's Property.  Where I lived Now  You Have set back's of 30 feet  From Your side Neighbors and the Horse Trail Last 20 feet of the Property I have a right of Way, so I can't fence that in, and we have a Minimum 60 ft set back from the road for Your House.

We can technically fence all the way to the Property Line, But I did a 4-inch setback Just to Be safe On the south side of My Property. If I want to put any more Pavement, I have to get a county engineer's approval Now for water run off. Our town is In two counties, and I am in the western Part of the Town, But I need to get the eastern counties Permission as our Town follows their rules for water run off.  I  enclosed  a 9ft By 37ft Lean to On My Barn and added a concrete floor. It's because I am zoned for an Under 3 acre Lot for water Drainage, even though I own 3.9 acres.

Our Permits Have the same thing Now $100 filling fee, and You May get an extra fee Based On cost of Project. I always tend to Low Ball the cost.

Have a trex's deck In the Back and a Trex front Porch  Because I was replacing the railing In the Back deck Had to get a Permit if I was Just replacing the Boards and not the railing no Permit is needed. I did my Front Porch In trex's Last year, No Permit Needed. This year, Got a Permit for the Porch railing

Buffer zone are so You and Your Neighbor don't Build Back to Back. His shed Catches On fire well since there is No space, Your shed Catches On fire too. And water doesn't run off Your Building on to the neighbors Property, But each Municipality is different on what their codes are & for setbacks. It would be Nice if each state had one set code sometimes. But that will probably never happen. About Your Only recourse is attended the planning commission meetings  and Push for different regulations.

Our town is In Trouble Because they Have Been doing everything in secret since the Town Came to be  In 1955, But it took the Town President's Husband shooting the Neighbor's Dog last year to bring their crazy secret committee  Practices to the public's attention  Heck No One new were to Vote for the Town elections and we Had the same President for 30 years. This coming March should be her Last :handgestures-thumbupleft:

• Confused 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@TractorheadThanks for the great photos interesting equipment. Must have been a very big show.  I like the hat .

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Lets see...clean front gutter..check

Install 2 PTZ security cams ..check

Last bit of fill on pool, replace pump, add snazzy fountain aerator, and do a vacuum of the pool bottom with the new pump...ohhh yeah!

16557743012808085583384638051379.jpg

16557743866725672991307877905187.jpg

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 5

Tractorhead
15 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@TractorheadThanks for the great photos interesting equipment. Must have been a very big show.  I like the hat .

Yap it was, 

with all 3 Campgrounds together it is about 22square km.

This is the biggest Adventure Show in europe as far as i know.

• Like 3

AMC RULES

Made a shocking new fuel discovery.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

20220621_101212.jpg.078efdce6e8d1fb0146cb31b102c4589.jpg

20220621_101257.jpg.2cab1e7677f968095102b3b0c9a3b289.jpg

20220621_101341.jpg.29810398bc43064c56ba8b3e4b7ede0a.jpg

• Sad 5

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Made a shocking new fuel discovery.

Looks like standard issue ethanol pearls. Delicious.

• Haha 2

Tractorhead

Knew this Jelly Beans with Petrol taste after longer sat periode if the Ethanol precentage in Fuel is higher than 10%.

Here they stretch the fuel per law up to 5% but some Filling stations increase that up to 15-20% to increase their Benefit.

The „Jelly beans“ be the result after it sat about 1-1,5 years without movement.

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
11 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Made a shocking...... discovery.

5 stages of one massive atmospheric static discarge taken from our front deck... (no swimming!)

SmartSelect_20220621-130255_FotoPlay.jpg

SmartSelect_20220621-130316_FotoPlay.jpg

SmartSelect_20220621-130402_FotoPlay.jpg

SmartSelect_20220621-130439_FotoPlay.jpg

SmartSelect_20220621-130521_FotoPlay.jpg

Hours of natures fireworks show! This is just one of the best shots...i missed the big ones moving stuff in the rain and getting pelted by hail.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 3

Jeff-C175
8 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Jelly beans

I call that "Ear Wax" , "Ohrenschmalz"

• Haha 2

Wheel Horse 3D

Had been having issues with the salt cell on the pool. Tried a control board bypass, but cell would still only run for a little while. As far as i can figure, the rectifier may be going out...got AC but no DC.....so to simplify, i am now running the cell with a small DC power supply with adjustable voltage. ( never could figure why the thing needed a transformer that big anyway)

Now i can " dial in" my clorine generation manually, and with an added timer, way simpler and more reliable system.

sketch-1656617825050.jpg

• Like 4

Stormin
11 hours ago, ranger said:

0F2F7AD5-C44F-4796-989A-27E627DCD300.jpeg.10cd0d60b1a7e91453b0920c44ef7bb0.jpeg

Now those brushes would be just the ticket for building sweepers. 

As for badgers, Doug. If you do see one keep well away. Not the nice black and white ones you see in pictures. Vicious, dirty, flea ridden things. And no badgers, no TB in cattle. 

• Like 1

sjoemie himself

For the first time in several years went and watched tractorpulling at a little village called 'Eext'. Was a fun day with plenty of sun and a nice breeze, perfect conditions.

Didn't take a lot of pictures unfortunately but here's one of a supersport 3,5t tractor. 4 cyl. 1 turbocharger, diesel fuel.

20220702_111436~3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

Horse Newbie

I had been having trouble with one of my yellow and white tractors not wanting to crank… it would just “click” when I turned the key.

A few years back it needed a starter and to save $200 bucks I bought Chinese instead of the Delco-Remy… mistake !

So been doing this clicking since a little after I put it on.

Found a video on YouTube from Taryl from “Taryl Fixes All” to fix the problem.

Apparently the problem is with Kohler, Honda, Kawasaki, and other engines of that era because Taryl did not mention it being specific to a Chinese starter problem. 
Did Taryl’s fix (see video) , and then cut the grass…

image.jpg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 7

8ntruck

We slepted in today.  After walking the dog, we spent the rest of the day watching the weekenders enjoy their holiday weekend on the lake.  The lake was much busier this year than it has been for the last couple years.

Interesting how the activity changes around the lake.  A couple decades ago, the lake shore on our side of the lake was crawling with family and kids on holiday weekends.  Not so much anymore.  Other areas now show the large family gatherings.

All was right for the holiday weekend - kids hollering amd splashing about, pontoons all over the lake, somebody water skiing behind a boat with an inboard/stern drive, people trying to fish, a sail boat, a couple of sail boards and kyacks, and a couple of jet skis.  In the middle of all that traffic, the owner of the Super Cub float plane shows up for a landing.  Around sun set, camp fires pop up around the lake (including our place) as people settle in to watch the armature fireworks displays around th a lake.

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ZXT

I picked up this '04 Dodge 2500 with a bad Hemi as a project a couple of weeks ago. Saw it sitting at a local car lot on the way home from work but I wasn't really looking for another truck so i didn't think much of it. Later that night I happened by it on Craigslist, saw that it wasn't running but was in good shape, had good tires and was cheap. 

Went and looked at it, made a deal and winched it up on the trailer. You'll notice in the picture that its loaded backwards on the trailer (which I hate to do) but that's the only way it would fit. For some reason, it had 2" wheel spacers on the front wheels only. The extra 4" of width made it wider than the fenders on the trailer. It is missing its factory jack/lug wrench and I didn't have the right size socket with me. Part of the engine was in the bed anyways so it had a little tongue weight. I was only going about 10 miles with it and it pulled fine. 

Got it home, promptly removed the spacers, and upon further investigation discovered that it had dropped a valve seat. It'll need a set of heads and machine work due to it chewing up the valve seat in the #6 cylinder, but I opted to get an engine out of a wrecking yard for simplicity sake. Fast forward to Saturday afternoon and I found a much lower mile 5.7 out of an '08 Chrysler Aspen for a reasonable price and pulled it out.Took about 4 hours to pull in the direct sun and 106 degree heat. I got home about 8PM, transferred exhaust manifolds and valve covers over from the old engine, and had it bolted in and partially hooked up by about midnight. I slept in a bit but had it running a little after noon. 

For no more than i have in it, I think it'll make a good truck. Having it as a backup will also allow me to start doing some body work on my blue '95 V10 truck.

IMG_2537.jpg

IMG_2556.jpg

IMG_2564.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

ebinmaine

Me n BBT installed the trailer hitch on the Kia Soul this evening. 

IMG_20220706_202938.jpg.49f373febc4a03ba3bf736ab8286a440.jpg

Need to install the wiring harness. 
Internet indicates that's the tough part.  

IMG_20220706_205539135.jpg.29f726fce81a63b715a4e7ca75bf9d4f.jpg

• Like 7

Ed Kennell

The recent high winds blew a couple dead trees over into the farmers field.  I usually don't cut firewood in the summer, but  I cleaned them up so he could finish planting.

104_0726.JPG.3d8e428cd960b259d7e0377664d993f9.JPG104_0728.JPG.116707bf36611c25ed9417c05bbb3a8b.JPG104_0727.JPG.93b8501b4e48abc4520ee73f2063fac9.JPG

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Stormin

This morning took the 42" deck off the C-125. I'd mowed the green and verges yesterday. What a difference some dry weather makes. The underneath of the deck was practically clean.  This afternoon used the Sears GT16 and Wheel Horse lawn sweeper to clean up the grass. Filled the sweeper three times. 

Rest of the afternoon was spent helping SWMBO to de-moss the block paved area. Got a trifle warm in a temperature of 22C.

• Like 2