Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Handy Don
2 minutes ago, adsm08 said:

I think, had I not dealt with this exact condition up close and personal, to the point of pulling my hair out, I may well have missed it too. However, my experience meant I knew exactly what else I was looking for.

Exactly the kind of contributions of experience that make this forum so valuable!

• Like 3

JPWH

I have not checked my theory yet but looking at the valve and the distance the lever can move maybe the lever travel is more than it needs to be causing more stress on the spring. I'll take a closer look before I put it back together 

• Like 2

adsm08
16 minutes ago, JPWH said:

I have not checked my theory yet but looking at the valve and the distance the lever can move maybe the lever travel is more than it needs to be causing more stress on the spring. I'll take a closer look before I put it back together 

Possibly, but these pumps do get warm. Heat takes springs and makes them brittle. Enough heat cycles, even at moderate temps, over long enough will still ruin a spring.

I suggest assembling the whole head with the new parts, then working the valve a few times with the canister still off to make sure everything is working and not falling apart.

Edited by adsm08
  • Like 3

Horse Newbie
33 minutes ago, JPWH said:

@Horse Newbie see the two pins near the six screws. Both ends of the spring we're broke almost flush. Both holes are good. One piece came out with a magnet the other took a pair of pliers to grab it and a screwdriver to pry it out.

Yes, I see… thanks for splaining…

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
3 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Gave the shed a much needed cleaning today. As things go sometimes I get carried away with fabricating things and drop tools and material all around me which turns everything into well.. a mess..

Anyway, so much room for activities now. Still could use some cabinets and/or shelves.

IMG_20220520_175210_4.jpg

Does not look like shed  to me… looks like a fabrication shop !

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 3

EB-80/8inPA
14 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Does not look like shed  to me… looks like a fabrication shop !

There’s way too much room in there to move around in for that to be a shed.

• Like 3

sjoemie himself

@Horse Newbie and @EB-80/8inPA okay okay I might have used the wrong word here. According to Giggle translate the Dutch word 'schuur' can be translated to either 'shed' or 'barn'..

My understanding is that a shed is smaller and is used for gardentools and such while a barn is bigger and something a farmer would use.

So you decide which one it should be :confusion-confused::mrgreen:

Another option would be to call it 'garage' because technically that's what it is, a two (mid eighties, European) car garage measuring 5 by 7 metres or 16.5 by 23 foot.

Edited by sjoemie himself
Typo, thanks to lovely auto-correct
  • Like 5

EB-80/8inPA
2 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

@Horse Newbie and @EB-80/8inPA okay okay I might have used the wrong word here.

And it looks like I unintentionally and unnecessarily stirred up the pot here.  It should be noted that your use of “shed” was not, IMO, technically incorrect.  The Dept. of Transportation, for example, maintains huge “sheds” to store their equipment, the emphasis being on “storing.”  My silly comment pertained to the tendency of most people’s sheds to be packed with so much stored stuff you never see the floor.  I don’t think I know anybody with a big enough shed.  Your English is fine, btw.  Mine might need some work, though lolz.  Cheers!

• Like 4

sjoemie himself
48 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

packed with so much stored stuff you never see the floor.

Well... Maybe I should have taken a 'before' picture in that case :hide:

No harm in stirring a bit by the way, all in good fun.

Your remark about not ever having a big enough shed, barn or garage is one I fully support :thumbs:

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

I think if you can get a car or truck in it, it “ could” be called a garage… unless it is obviously a barn. 
I call my shop a shop because it is a converted 2 car canopy, if you will…

it measures about 18.5 x 18.5 feet and has a 9x7 ft roll up door. I can get a car in it, but it is where I work on stuff, so I call it a shop.

The reason I said your place was a fabrication shop was because of what I seen in there- that tractor.

My “shed” is what I built onto the back of my shop to store my Wheel Horses, guess you could call that a stable, as some do. 

The first 6 pics are of my shop, next 2 are my shed, last one garage…

but I agree- call them what you want… they are our happy places…:lol:

F7C4EB78-3C4B-4B19-AE33-0C9A1B4EBCB8.jpeg

67FB83F0-30C1-4E66-A595-F639E48E438C.jpeg

1E8440C6-0151-4551-8837-45F45FE76F27.jpeg

A1F81C9A-D60E-440A-90E5-11287C13CD6E.jpeg

BDC202F5-A8D1-4EBF-A870-15E5546525D7.jpeg

E2179373-A884-460F-9645-32E9F1407533.jpeg

8A4B9A6C-CBB7-4825-A02A-2EFC9897DB7F.jpeg

FE8C0CA9-A1C0-4C84-9949-BF6A94E2FFCC.jpeg

B15D45A4-C446-403E-AEDA-38D1E0556249.jpeg

Edited by Horse Newbie
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

Brother had a 65 Bug in college. During the Buffalo winter you had to bring the battery inside and wrap it with a little blankie so it would start the next day. :rolleyes:  Someone stole it once by knocking out the drivers vent window. Which was handy because you could reach out the window when driving and adjust the coat hanger radio antenna! :helmet: The back bumper would fall off occasionally. One time we  went to see inside of the new stadium (Rich Stadium). They were just putting down the crappy Poly-Turf over the black top when we got kicked out. We went to leave with the security guys standing there and of course it fell off. :confusion-seeingstars: One time he backed into a little side hill that was soft from the rain. The tail pipes stuck in the ground and stayed there as we pulled away. Sounded really cool then! :auto-driving:

• Haha 7

squonk
On 5/12/2022 at 8:55 PM, WHX?? said:

Installed my new CAC today..... got by with a little help from my friends. Yah I coulda drove the service truck right back of the house but where's the seat time on a 857 with that? 

Just such bizarre weather here last week this time furnaces needed running. Now today.....

20220512_164200.jpg

Picture looks like an advertisement for a Lennox dealer. Vacuum pump still on the ground with the reefer tank inverted and the "Sally Tool Bag"! :lol:. I suppose you opened a valve on the gauge set and used the reefer to quick change your vacuum pump oil! :banana-wrench: I don't see you posing with your golf shirt, pressed pants and spotless baseball cap! What gives? :hilarious:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

sjoemie himself
1 hour ago, Horse Newbie said:

6 pics are of my shop, next 2 are my shed, last one garage…

Some people just have it all :happy-jumpgreen:

P.s. you forgot your stable.. oh no, wait.. that was the same as barn right? Or was it shed? :blink::P

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie
2 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Some people just have it all :happy-jumpgreen:

P.s. you forgot your stable.. oh no, wait.. that was the same as barn right? Or was it shed? :blink::P

I would call my shed a stable, but I also have those yellow and white tractors in there…:lol:

• Like 1

sjoemie himself
38 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

yellow and white

Well for the 'cub' part stable would still be an option, for the cadet may I suggest barracks?

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
18 minutes ago, sjoemie himself said:

Well for the 'cub' part stable would still be an option, for the cadet may I suggest barracks?

That would work !

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, squonk said:

Brother had a 65 Bug in college.

Here's my bug saga.         Shortly after signing the license with Mrs. K, in an effort to save some money, I traded in my beloved '59 Ford rag top and financed  a new '64 bug for $1200.

The first clutch was replaced at 10K and every 10K after that.   The king pins froze up and had to be replaced.    The back seat battery left me sit several times and I froze in the winter.

It did get better milage than the Big Block Ford.

After replacing the 3rd clutch at 30K, the dealer said " after it is out of warranty at 36K  we can replace the clutch with the VW Bus clutch.    Seems in 1964 VW increased the bug HP from 36 to 40 and never put in the 40 HP Bus clutch.

I sold it as soon as the warrenty expired at 36K,   and I promised myself the two things I will never do again;

1. buy a foreign made vehicle

2.  finance a vehicle 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, sjoemie himself said:

Well... Maybe I should have taken a 'before' picture in that case :hide:

No harm in stirring a bit by the way, all in good fun.

Your remark about not ever having a big enough shed, barn or garage is one I fully support :thumbs:

In case any o' you loo-loos is interested, a shed around here is what you keep stuff, put stuff, build stuff, repair stuff in... that ISN'T a vehicle. THAT'S a garage. 

How do I know, you might ask?

Because in my town the tax amount is lower for a building that can't be accessed by a road driven vehicle.  

Our outdoor workshop building is 16 x 20. About the right size for a small 1-1/2 car garage. 

But since I can't drive an average road usable vehicle into it, it's a shed.  

The building that BBT and I are looking at having built will be a barn. 

Why, you might ask?

Gambrel truss roof with side wings. It'll be taxed as a vehicle usable building by it's location. 

Far as actual needed space goes. 

I was told awhile back that when sizing a prospective need for a garage one should very carefully add up what sq footage is necessary.

Double that.

Then triple that.

It MIGHT be almost usable. 

😅

• Excellent 4

sjoemie himself

@ebinmaine thanks for clearing that up. In that case I think I will call it 'schuur' from now on and expect everyone to understand what I mean :P

Other options are:

Loods

Hal

Werkplaats

Garage

Hok

Tweede huis

Mancave

Hobbyruimte

Bergplaats

Berging

Pakhuis

Stalling

Silo

Hut

:blink:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 3

EB-80/8inPA
22 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Because in my town the tax amount is lower for a building that can't be accessed by a road idriven vehicle.

Leaving the working definition up to the authorities having jurisdiction makes unassailable scents to me.  Who’s gonna argue with the tax man?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Handy Don
12 minutes ago, EB-80/8inPA said:

Who’s gonna argue with the tax man?

Tried it. Didn't work. Probably won't try it again.

• Like 2

Horse Newbie

Never. Ever. Call. The city, county, or state !

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
46 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

Never. Ever. Call. The city, county, or state !

Small Town life here.  

I call them all. I get good honest help from courteous folk. 

My town in fact, has SAVED me money for things like property tax and vehicle or trailer registration.  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Horse Newbie

Some of us horse thieves have to lay low !  :lol:

• Haha 3

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

shed around here is what you keep stuff

Sounds like the '62 Nova that used to be behind my garage.

It was my SHEDvrolet !

Until the town made me get rid of it.

• Haha 4