Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

stevasaurus

Thanks Eric...been doing this for a few weeks.  If you like pictures of tools here is some more.  Some of these may be the same tools, but I doubt it.

DSCF9418.JPG

DSCF9419.JPG

DSCF9460.JPG

DSCF9461.JPG

DSCF9464.JPG

DSCF9465.JPG

DSCF9466.JPG

DSCF9467.JPG

DSCF9468.JPG

DSCF9471.JPG

DSCF9473.JPG

DSCF9474.JPG

DSCF9484.JPG

DSCF9494.JPG

DSCF9496.JPG

DSCF9497.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine

That old Mac Tools chest is cool.  

LOVE the Mack dog. I have the original patent copy as a tattoo on my right forearm. 

You have some very unique things that pique my curiosity. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

@stevasaurus Did you run across some of those " what the hell is this and what was it used on " tools ?  i have a few that are big ????? marks. My favorite when going the Ole man's stuff was the carryall box full of used spark plugs.

• Haha 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

My favorite when going the Ole man's stuff was the carryall box full of used spark plugs

Did you ever figure that one out?

• Haha 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

No , the ole man kept every thing . we found the following : Tailpipe full of holes from a 1973 GMC 3/4 ton. 4 rims from a 1953 Chrysler . 1 hub cap from my brother's 1960 Impala , 2 hubcaps from my 1963 Impala. 3 or 4 radios from Cheby's , a lot of adult beverage bottles. and a 50 lb box full of bent double headed nails. Huge quantities of used fan belts , a couple of fans off of auto engines. the list goes on and on. Took 4 pickups to haul stuff to the dump ( each truck made more than 1 load. This was the adventure in 1991 .Fast forward to about 2012 my mother had continued loading the place up. She had filled up a 3 drawer kitchen cabinet in the garage with plastic lids from plastic containers ( no bottoms were found) . We filled up a roll off dumpster . I wonder where my pack rat problems comes from????

• Haha 9

Dan.gerous

Last day home before heading back to sea.

Had to strip seized front brake on daughters Honda XL125.

Got it apart, pistons out and cleaned up, new seals and back onto the bike.

Worst brakes I have ever had to bleed, takes forever. Best way is to get as much air out as possible then strap the lever to the bar and walk away. After an hour or two it's bled any remaining air without further effort on my part :-)

Now the girls can get back out tearing up the fields!

20220504_112536.jpg

20220504_112544.jpg

20220504_112601.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

Handy Don
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Now the girls can get back out tearing up the fields!

Seems like if you're old enough to ride it you ought to be old enough to learn how to fix its brakes!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

Dan.gerous
2 hours ago, Handy Don said:

Seems like if you're old enough to ride it you ought to be old enough to learn how to fix its brakes!

They do a fair bit, the girls replaced throttle cables the other day and helped bleed all the brakes today.

Katie is currently replacing the indicator relay by herself, bike in bits everywhere!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

They do a fair bit, the girls replaced throttle cables the other day and helped bleed all the brakes today.

Katie is currently replacing the indicator relay by herself, bike in bits everywhere!

You keep pushing that.

You'll end up with a couple of "Trina Juniors"  on your hands! 

:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

8ntruck

Regarding the comments on parents and grand parents keeping everything - were they children of the depression?  Many who grew up in those times got infused with the 'keep everything 'cause you will need it someday' habit.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Handy Don
3 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Regarding the comments on parents and grand parents keeping everything - were they children of the depression?  Many who grew up in those times got infused with the 'keep everything 'cause you will need it someday' habit.

An excellent point. Mine had it and lived it and so, of course, I learned it. (There are some moving family stories passed down of coping during the depression.)

To counter this, at my smart wife's strong suggestion, we create a hobby budget for each of us that we know we can afford and encourage each other to spend it all every year. No extra points awarded for not spending it.

As for the collecting? Well, that's a work in progress. I've been sticking to my promise to unload something every week--donate, sell, recycle, or trash--or put something from the "inventory" into active use. Plus I'm getting better at walking away from "maybe I'll find a use for this" stuff.

• Like 5

Dan.gerous

Loaded up the car ready for a 6 hour drive to work.

Hopefully can get these stripped down and painted while bouncing around the ocean :-)

20220505_055204.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 5

Maxwell-8
2 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Loaded up the car ready for a 6 hour drive to work.

Hopefully can get these stripped down and painted while bouncing around the ocean :-)

Haha, you must be the only one I know who sands and paints rims and a plow onboard of a ship. Love it.

• Haha 2

Dan.gerous
3 minutes ago, Maxwell-8 said:

Haha, you must be the only one I know who sands and paints rims and a plow onboard of a ship. Love it.

Yes, I think it might be a world first!

• Excellent 1

WHX??

Hey Ritchie @19richie66..... what day is it?!?!? 

5DB38481-E0BE-4879-AB75-7B47AD7E7398.jpeg.ef6dd9e491b424ccbcd73911b1348034.jpeg

• Haha 3

19richie66

Can’t get nothing past you :laughing-rolling:

• Haha 1

squonk
On 5/3/2022 at 4:46 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

No , the ole man kept every thing . we found the following : Tailpipe full of holes from a 1973 GMC 3/4 ton. 4 rims from a 1953 Chrysler . 1 hub cap from my brother's 1960 Impala , 2 hubcaps from my 1963 Impala. 3 or 4 radios from Cheby's , a lot of adult beverage bottles. and a 50 lb box full of bent double headed nails. Huge quantities of used fan belts , a couple of fans off of auto engines. the list goes on and on. Took 4 pickups to haul stuff to the dump ( each truck made more than 1 load. This was the adventure in 1991 .Fast forward to about 2012 my mother had continued loading the place up. She had filled up a 3 drawer kitchen cabinet in the garage with plastic lids from plastic containers ( no bottoms were found) . We filled up a roll off dumpster . I wonder where my pack rat problems comes from????

My B-I-L did that and still does it. When my wife's mother died and we cleaned out the house I found a cabinet full of used plugs, points, distributor caps from mid 60's Chevys. And this was in 1991! I had to clean out one of his sheds. 3 trailer loads of half empty spray cans that don't spray anymore. Think I counted like 30 WD 40 cans alone! I had to work on his 8N tractor once. Tool box full of empty parts boxes! WT? Tools them selves in like 10 little boxes with no organization. Never again! In 1987 my future wife blew up her 4 Dr. 74 Volare'. He insisted and saving every piece of that car that could come off easily before it was scrapped. Who saves the doors off of a Volare'? :confusion-confused:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

ebinmaine

Spent a few more minutes in the New garden site area last night. Trina drove around on her 867 with the mid-mount grader blade digging roots and rocks and loosening things up. I went in behind her with the shovel to throw things off to the side.

The site is shaping up nicely. We will be laying out dirt stripes soon.

:)

• Like 2

Ifixoldjunk

CEE8A54A-291B-4F72-BEAB-0274C4199F83.jpeg.09edefb84bf08b9dde44175e7054ea06.jpeg

Finally located a 1/4 bar and chain setup for my 1971 stihl 020 AVP.

The 1/4 version of this saw was a one year only model. The rest were produced with a 3/8 pitch.

swapping it over to a 3/8 pitch would be impossible with the way the 1/4 sprocket contacts the oiler pump. 

so anyways I had to retrofit a MS150T bar and chain onto it.

• Like 2

8ntruck
On 5/5/2022 at 7:50 AM, WHX?? said:

Hey Ritchie @19richie66..... what day is it?!?!? 

5DB38481-E0BE-4879-AB75-7B47AD7E7398.jpeg.ef6dd9e491b424ccbcd73911b1348034.jpeg

That's just a groaner of a visual pun.....

Ifixoldjunk

@stevasaurus That’s awesome, can’t beat old craftsman stuff. I recently inherited a mound of them as well. It’s crazy trying to go through it all.664E7FF1-832C-4D72-A17D-C06E4C7863AE.jpeg.da5396a6f6329c7bfac9390b64f9dd79.jpeg

The box has to weigh over a hundred pounds easily.

Edited by Ifixoldjunk
  • Like 2
  • Heart 2

Lane Ranger

I finally have my mother’s  1969 VW convertible back home!  Getting ready to sell this gem.  I had new brake system, gas tank and starter installed over the last ten days.  This car was a very complete restore about 15 years ago. 

It will run 85 mph and still a fun ride.  Going to get a very good detailing done before sale as lots of chrome on this bug. 

23598359-B12A-4C62-88D4-203558884D67.jpeg

C7D29E34-7653-45F2-B715-4ABC444A7C02.jpeg

D1E05FD6-DD30-4599-ADDB-87B9D6C8EC4C.jpeg

7DAA651A-0743-4257-94A3-293FCB172906.jpeg

CA238C06-9EE2-48AD-A65B-0CFAE46D5C08.jpeg

8F546024-5394-4F64-9AE1-A608FDB2FC66.jpeg

FC1FE085-645F-4D9E-83E4-739805FB9077.jpeg

F845BF9F-D21D-41D2-8ED5-62F0851FC2F6.jpeg
 Video of the engine running!

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 3

stevasaurus

Still wish I had my 1972 Super Beetle.  I had the Formula Vee shifter in her.  Love those cars Lane.  :occasion-xmas:

2012_0901LANE20009.JPG

2012_0901LANE20010.JPG

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

Been an interesting couple of days here.  Mrs 8N woke up yesterday at 8am with a sore neck and shoulder.  Didn't improve through the day, as her knees and wrists started hurting.  Dr appointment this morning, she got a diagnosis of a pinched nerve.  Heavy duty anti-inflamitory, and muscle relaxants were prescribed.  Some improvement today.

The plumber finally showed up today to work on the broken septic system intake pipe.  The water level is about 1/2 way up the intake pipe - that ain't right.  He did some measuring, and discovered that the outlet pipe is 2" HIGHER than the inlet pipe.  Looks like the tank was not set deep enough to begin with.  We ended up just patching the broken pipe to see if the drain field is still operating.  So far so good.

Several possibilities to set the intake right:  replace the tank, set at the proper level, or add a lift station before the tank to a pipe at the proper level, or raise the whole drain system starting in the house to get the intake pipe high enough in the tank.

Surprisingly, the last option seems like the best.  This plumbing only serves the bathroom, which is scheduled for a remodel in the not too distant future.  That remodel involves moving fixtures.

Edited by 8ntruck
  • Like 1

EB-80/8inPA
1 hour ago, 8ntruck said:

The plumber finally showed up today to work on the broken sceptic system intake pipe.

My sceptic system broke once.  I started believing all kinds of crazy stuff.

:)

Hope Mrs. 8N is feeling better!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3