Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

tom2p
4 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Tom, thank you for posting this!  Looks like just what I need!  AND, Mrs Google led me through to this webpage which is a MOST EXCELLENT read.  Not a lot of glitzy HTML, just good old fashioned information.  I mean, who knew that one could mix Durhams Water Putty with Epoxy to make a wood filler material?  OR, fast set joint compound powder to CLEAR siliconized caulk ?  This guy is a treasure trove of information!  I can see spending hours upon hours on this site and bookmarking it for certain.  In fact, I might save it 'offline' in case it goes away!

http://rogcad.com/painting/contractors/index.htm

he is the master - and booked for years !

PPG Permanizer Plus is the best exterior primer I've used for flaking / poor wood surfaces 

It's almost clear ... milky ... so it does not cover well (or at all)

and just one other problem - extremely difficult to find ... just one store had one gallon in my area ... felt fortunate to find it because the stuff is great 

also impressed with the Smith's CPES two part epoxy 

I applied a number of coats to the sills that were exposed and very weathered ... the sills absorbed the epoxy well ...  the epoxy is very thin and soaked / penetrated the wood ...  darkened the wood - but wood became more dense / solid 

was a toss up between Sherwin Williams Duration and PPG Permanizer exterior paint ... went with Duration ... it's very 'thick' and not the easiest paint to apply - expensive - but has a good rep and was highly recommended 

I used PPG Top Gun 400 caulk - also highly recommended ... light years better than the stuff I've used from the big box stores 

Edited by tom2p
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

@AMC RULES

Awesome stuff. 

Thanks for posting. 

My knuckle crane at work doesn't give us weights. We have to know the approximate weight of the lifted load before beginning the lift. 

Once "off the ground" the readout gives us percentage of total capacity. 

We do alot of reaching up, but also out. Obviously the further away from the base center, the more the crane feels the load. 

It'll do 6K lbs near center. 

Roughly 1200 to 1500 65 feet out. 

• Like 1

AMC RULES

20210728_100119.jpg.4847e17df27da893de98ae89b710a096.jpg

Made it to the top of the mountain this morning. 

20210728_101718.jpg.323fd20639fa86eaca6b5b1695dcc3c7.jpg

Swapped out the flail mower on the wheeled for the rock cutter attachment and will start working our way back down.

20210728_103419.jpg.2c656eaad1762c01d9deb8b1fb5ba235.jpg

20210728_102807.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 4

Mickwhitt

Collected the second blade grinder today, only a few miles up the road so a nice trip. Its a heavy lump so will need breaking down into bits to move round.

Looks pretty sound and will benefit from the Whitts patented renovation system. White spirit and elbow grease. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Lets see..yesterday hauled the 26ft cabin cruiser out of the back to position it for a going through and cleaning

Today, dump run and when i finally got home I swapped the return line on Dug from BYD to OUT. Have yet to see if it changes performance any, but figured thats how it oughtta be.

20210728_194007.jpg

20210728_193908.jpg

• Like 4

Mickwhitt

Started on the strip down of this grand old machine, its a bit of a classic car.

Belts are perished so need replacing and the hydraulic pump is pretty tight so will need seals I guess. 

20210729_095338.jpg.d0c0f7897aaa2f3845cc74ac819c8fd1.jpg

20210729_095717.jpg.8748b976cefb92c06d52e70ca49e8716.jpg

• Like 5

Gregor

I give up. What is it?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

this grand old machine

That's a blade grinder?  Seems a lot for the task!

image.png.75d662f98f5962282164e2dce7d35c1d.png

• Haha 3

Mickwhitt

Its for grinding reel or cylinder blades. Cant do it any other way and have it actually cut grass lol 

20210728_172259.jpg.5d424c572ffdc6c50801be4778580bab.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Gregor
4 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Its for grinding reel or cylinder blades. Cant do it any other way and have it actually cut grass lol 

I can see that. Like Jeff, I use a side grinder, but for something like a reel mower, a little more precision is probably needed.

• Like 1

ranger

A few years ago a friend of mine who worked in a council mower shop gave me a couple of large tubs of very fine grinding paste. These were for a machine they used to sharpen the cylinder and bottom blades for the “Greens” mowers. It connected to the cylinder drive and spun it backwards, all of this with the mower still sitting on the floor, no removing of the cylinder or bottom blade, so great time saver!  They would leave it running for a while, and reapply paste and adjust as necessary. The paste I was given was too fine for this, but great for valves and horse clippers,etc! 

• Like 1

formariz
45 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

That is pretty cool . Knew they existed but never seen one before this one. Too bad you are far, could use it. I have been doing them by hand with a file.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

OutdoorEnvy
49 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

That's awesome!  I saved a Mclane 10 blade reel mower from big trash day a couple years ago.  I got it running good and replaced a few parts that were broke and why the owner gave up on it...but the reel really needs a grinding on a proper machine.  I can't find anywhere that has a machine like this to do it.  I'm a competent hand filer but it's beyond hand filing at this point.  Does it do bedknife's too? 

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
3 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Cant do it any other way

Ohhhhh, thanks! that essplanes it then!

• Like 1

Handy Don
14 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

swapped the return line on Dug from BYD to OUT.

This may not be a good idea unless you are sure of the rest of your circuit, including any other valves and the locations of the pressure relief.

What kind of valves are your lift/curl controls? (Open center? Closed center? Check valves on the A or B ports?)

Any other valves/actuators?

Edited by Handy Don
  • Like 1

AMC RULES

Continuing the single lane conversion today.

20210729_113946.jpg.08a7fe7071dfac8c6d99f81fbf6a734d.jpg

20210729_113956.jpg.12674d948cccf035a3430f83ce6b22b2.jpg

Screenshot_20210729-115554_Gallery.jpg.820dfc4a223507ee64ff008e52ef2569.jpg

Edited by AMC RULES
  • Like 2

AMC RULES

squonk

Tooth Rattler! :)

• Like 2

Handy Don

Is this project related to the overturned troop carrier incident of two years ago?

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Nope.

She clearly drove the front wheels off the road, and is in Leavenworth now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Mickwhitt
3 hours ago, ranger said:

It connected to the cylinder drive and spun it backwards, all of this with the mower still sitting on the floor, no removing of the cylinder or bottom blade, so great time saver!  They would leave it running for a while, and reapply paste and adjust as necessary.

That is called back lapping, can only be done to hone properly ground and aligned blades. You'd not sharpen a cylinder that had issues using this method. 

Its very complicated to get a reel cutter working beautifully. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D
53 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

This may not be a good idea unless you are sure of the rest of your circuit, including any other valves and the locations of the pressure relief.

What kind of valves are your lift/curl controls? (Open center? Closed center? Check valves on the A or B ports?)

Any other valves/actuators?

Pretty sure these are open center with a detent for float on spool 1. Relief valve is located to the left near the input side, but docs for internal porting i havent found yet. No additional external check valves or spools other than the 2. Other members managed to help out with their ark setups. Mine appears to be a stock original valve.

Handy Don
19 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Pretty sure these are open center with a detent for float on spool 1. Relief valve is located to the left near the input side, but docs for internal porting i havent found yet. No additional external check valves or spools other than the 2. Other members managed to help out with their ark setups. Mine appears to be a stock original valve.

I agree on the valves likely being open center and yes, not knowing the internal porting for the PR valve, it is probably safer for your pump to be using OUT (or T) for the return to filter/reservoir.

Since you haven't broken the pump so far :) it's likely that OUT port is shunting to BYD internally (in valves with BYD, there is often a special plug you insert into BYD to segregate OUT and BYD flows to close that shunt).

All good!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Thanks 1

Wheel Horse 3D
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I (in valves with BYD, there is often a special plug you insert into BYD to segregate OUT and BYD flows to close that shunt).

So ill need that insert to power anything off the BYD.

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

So ill need that insert to power anything off the BYD.

What you need to go with that BEYOND port is a BLUE HORIZON !

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 2