Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

squonk
On 7/20/2021 at 9:02 AM, Stormin said:

Not needed at the farm so finished in the pond this morning.

Left some reeds. Some to hide my wood yard a bit and some where there is a willow.

P1030735.JPG.f396c1b58c0faaa866c5017d7301121a.JPG

Took away three more loads. That makes ten in total. I wouldn't have thought that many when I started.

Last load before lunch.

P1030734.JPG.e63035666dae99ec656e8e72ba444a97.JPG

Now to find a shady spot to relax in out of the sun. :cool:

You're in England! Wait 5 minutes! :lol:

• Haha 1

rjg854

With all the rain we've gotten lately, and a 50' willow tree that was pretty much gone. It fell over sometime Saturday night.

image.jpg.de319dcfd94db190a35d4baad89d5007.jpgimage.jpg.7758d7dfee10c562464a41df099d9761.jpg

A couple of days to cut and pile a lot of the branches and wisps got it somewhat down to size.

PXL_20210720_153341687.jpg.cff3301d7536fcd7e66f0fda3c39242f.jpgPXL_20210720_153252969_MP.jpg.224c48744d1428b7b1fe6d450dcb82b1.jpg

And today I started burning the piles and cutting up the trunks and adding them to the fire.PXL_20210721_184045389_MP.jpg.58a27556f1128a08b76c3ec2719f11f8.jpgPXL_20210721_184121981.jpg.957593b1b996b9e67b604e0579007224.jpg

Tomorrow I'll continue cutting up what's left and I just might possibly have this all cleaned up by the weekend.

• Like 7
  • Excellent 1

Jeff-C175
36 minutes ago, rjg854 said:

I started burning the piles

The local gendarmes allow open burning?  or maybe you're too far away for them to notice?  Sure wish I could do that here!

• Like 2

rjg854

I'm out in the middle of nowhere. There isn't another house within a 1/4 a mile of me. Yard waste is ok to burn in this township. There's only certain times of the year that you're not supposed to have open fires. This fire is in the middle of my yard, and with all the rain we've had, I'm not overly concerned about it spreading. As you can see there's no rip-roaring flames.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

squonk

You've been a busy beaver! :)

• Haha 4

Stormin

Nice load of logs for winter there. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

lynnmor

I guess that willow is a poor firewood.  I would have reduced it to firewood if it was usable.

• Like 1

rjg854

That willow is mighty punky, nothing worth saving, about the only thing it's good for is a home for the ants.  The pileated woodpeckers got after it about 10 years ago, and drilled it full of holes.  It went down hill fast after that.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Stormin

Been pup proofing the decking area today ready for the anticipated new arrival. The original larch lap fencing died the death a while ago. Never got round to replacing it. This morning into Carlisle and got some lattice fencing. Fencing panels were 7ft long and just fitted in the Santa Fe with a foot sticking out the tailgate.  

Back home and replaced the posts that I'd removed. Then measured up and cut down the panels to height and length then fitted them. An off cut was made to fit one end to act as a removable gate. Four off cuts of scrap aluminium fastened to the posts made a slot for the gate/panel to slide into.

There were two off cuts left over and these went to block a couple more escape routes. The scraps off the panels would just about fill a bucket. Nice and handy for lighting the stove. Waste not. Want not.

P1030736.JPG.f538bcf8553bb56eb5c0feba22c5df7a.JPG

Not bad for an afternoons work with the temperature in the low 80s. Just as well the decking is shady till late afternoon.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

8ntruck

More work on the HO layout for the museum yesterday.  Got road bed down and the 'mainline' loop of track installed.  Ran a train on it too :D.

We will move it to the museum later this afternoon.  I'll snap some pictures when it gets there.  Next step will be the scenery.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, Stormin said:

handy for lighting the stove.

Is that pressure treated Norman?  Looks sorta green-ish.  I wouldn't burn anything PT myself.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine
12 hours ago, rjg854 said:

That willow is mighty punky, nothing worth saving, about the only thing it's good for is a home for the ants.  The pileated woodpeckers got after it about 10 years ago, and drilled it full of holes.  It went down hill fast after that.

Just as a point of clarification...

Woodpeckers cause very little damage to trees UNLESS already infested with insects. 

"You see, woodpeckers rarely do any damage…unless there is already damage going on. Woodpeckers do not eat trees, obviously. They eat wood-boring insects and insect larvae. So, if they are hammering away on a tree, especially in the winter, there is a good chance that the tree is already infested below the bark with some kind of insect. I had a pileated woodpecker tearing into the ancient oak tree in my yard this past winter, and now I can tell you the tree is swarming with carpenter ants, the pileated woodpecker’s food of choice."

Lee1977
2 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Just as a point of clarification...

Woodpeckers cause very little damage to trees UNLESS already infested with insects. 

"You see, woodpeckers rarely do any damage…unless there is already damage going on. Woodpeckers do not eat trees, obviously. They eat wood-boring insects and insect larvae. So, if they are hammering away on a tree, especially in the winter, there is a good chance that the tree is already infested below the bark with some kind of insect. I had a pileated woodpecker tearing into the ancient oak tree in my yard this past winter, and now I can tell you the tree is swarming with carpenter ants, the pileated woodpecker’s food of choice."

I have seen pressure treated deck post destroyed by woodpeckers I know there was nothing in there alive.

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

I have seen pressure treated deck post destroyed by woodpeckers I know there was nothing in there alive.

Could have been marking territory or courting. 

It is possible there were bees/wasps/hornets in the deck wood. They'll nest in PT. 

rjg854

This morning I piled up what's left of the willow tree, and now the rest is history.PXL_20210723_104324367_MP.jpg.36391093f0e7fec3399a7d7f4b3b3e94.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Warning!  Objects on ebay can look smaller than they actually are. 

IMG-20210723-WA0000.jpeg.9a35592cc941d4455a244cb4f7f00cce.jpeg

This thing is a beast!  Cricket pitch mower. Kohler Magnum 18 twin on it!  

Rolled down the ramps on its roller brakes no problem.

Mrs W is not my biggest fan at present.

And tonight I'm off to collect a cylinder mower grinding machine. 

I may be sleeping with it....

• Haha 6

lynnmor
6 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Mrs W is not my biggest fan at present.

And tonight I'm off to collect a cylinder mower grinding machine. 

I may be sleeping with it....

Behind every successful man is a good woman..... telling him he is all wrong.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Gregor
10 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Cricket pitch mower.

Looks like an interesting machine. I had to google it, to see what it was. Being from Illinois, USA, I guess I am just not familiar with a Cricket Wicket Mower. I would imagine that machine gives a very fine cut, when properly set up.

elcamino/wheelhorse

@Mickwhitt You know we want many photos of the that machine. Hope you don't have to sleep in the trailer.

Stormin

Very similar  to two big Ransom's  a friend of mine had. They had J.A.P. engines on. They had a seat on a roller that you sat on towed behind. Just as well, because you had to damn near run to keep up with them. 

• Haha 1

D_Mac

Went to an Estate Sale this morning. Walked out with this beauty. I have always made out pretty well turning them over. I already removed some paint splatter that was all over it. Cleaned it inside and out. Waxed it all up. Came out pretty good with not so much effort. I should do well with it.

20210723_120617.jpg

20210723_120504.jpg

20210723_113540.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Gregor

I think I might need that. It's beautiful. Too bad you are in NY.

D_Mac

Last one I got was loaded with tools. This one had stuff in it but mostly junk. He worked at Kodak here. Kodak was huge here in its day, not so much anymore. Has some spots towards the bottom. Not sure what it is, looks worse in the pictures then in person. I think the packing and shipping would kill any type of deal I gave you on the chest. I had a pedal car packed and shipped to Tennessee once and it was 350 bucks. This is a big, heavy chest.

• Sad 1

ohiofarmer

THe Old Old Stock truck is getting in Ready to Rustle condition.For its age she is in good knick for our area. On a trip, it got 22 MPG and then a no runner and sat for four years. A crank position sensor got it running, so I had the shop it was in completely change the transmission filter and the remaining fluid.  Sometimes it starts out in too high a gear, but put the selector in low at a stop sign and then it cycles fine. So we are running fine for at least local stuff for now and needing to assess a few things here and there as it returns to service.

The nice features are the big V-8 and a solid chassis . It has the lifetime roadside assistance go handle installed, and I can use the phone a friend app to have it towed. I named it Tomka Truck in honor of my BIL Tom, and as you can see he has a big brother that will also get upgraded and repaired.  We lost a rear wheel bearing on The Mighty Cummins and the fix for that is a service that jigs and welds on a new axle end ready for new bearings and the live axle install

The 160 lost a bearing on the mule drive clutch and that part proved to be instrumental in the replacement of the rear axle drive pinion seal. The seal was a super tight fit and would not start into the hole. We put it into the freezer and used the clutch drive as a seating tool since the hollow part fit over the axle stub protruding drive shaft stub.So now Tomka is again on the road.

And all my stuff matches in Wheel Horse Red

DSCN1441.JPG

DSCN1445.JPG

DSCN1443.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 2