Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Horse Newbie
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Given proper initial installation that's certainly the way to go for longevity from what I've seen around here. 

15 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Concrete.

I've been considering having concrete driveway installed where I now have gravel...with rebar to prevent separation and/ or upheaval. About afraid to get an estimate though...

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
8 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

concrete driveway

Up here in nj they consider concrete to be a "permanent structure" and will raise property taxes.  That's why I chose asphalt!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Up here in nj they consider concrete to be a "permanent structure" and will raise property taxes.  That's why I chose asphalt!

Both here. Any permanent hard surface. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 2

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

permanent

Asphalt is permanent?  Wow...

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Spent the evening supervising replacement of Mrs rear hubs and bearings in her Jeep Patriot.

Missed an inplugged wheel sensor and got the 4wd fault that wont allow it to go into 4wd. Plugged the sensor in, now trying a ecm reboot. Wish me luck!

• Like 3

tom2p
7 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Well... I did it.  I gave my employer my RETIREMENT notice today!  As of August 6th I will be among the ranks of the fully retired.

Thirty Two years at that job!  Gone in the wink of an eye.

You youngsters take note of three things:

1.  SAVE SAVE SAVE as much money as you can afford NOW!  If you do you will be able to retire early and not wait till you're old.

2. TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH!  RELIGIOUSLY!  You're going to need them for a LONG TIME!

3. BUY the BEST MATTRESS you can afford!  You spend 1/3 of your life there, might as well be comfortable!

That's all you need to know.

wow - congrats !

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
9 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Asphalt is permanent?

I should define that a bit. 

Driveway structure and pricing is determined by local government. 

In my area the type of driveway surface makes no difference to taxes. 

Asphalt and concrete DO however turn a temporary garage into a permanent one. 

• Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Thanks to those who wished me luck! The durn code wouldnt clear, but came out this mornin and its gone AND .Mrs radio package is working properly again! Lol. I guess it needed a reboot too(no tuner audio).

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

I should define that a bit. 

Driveway structure and pricing is determined by local government. 

In my area the type of driveway surface makes no difference to taxes. 

Asphalt and concrete DO however turn a temporary garage into a permanent one. 

Just store your patio blocks flat across a large area of ground and cover with a "temporary" garage. Lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

lynnmor

I believe that Jeff means that the concrete drive is the permanent structure, forget the building.  I know people that live in NJ and their property taxes (rent) is unbelievable.  I call it rent because if you don't pay you will see who the real landlord is.

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
36 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

their property taxes (rent) is unbelievable

No joke.  I hope I don't need a reverse mortgage to pay them!

• Sad 1

tom2p

I often complain about PA taxes - but NJ property taxes might be higher ... close to double ... ?

4A905392-C061-4579-A22E-39E5594DB64B.jpeg

Edited by tom2p

Jeff-C175
30 minutes ago, tom2p said:

NJ property taxes might be higher

My town's general property tax rate stands at 1.94 / 100

Nearby Sea Girt is 0.67 / 100 but the homes there are RICH RICH RICH!  So they pay a LOT more total than I do even their rate is so low.

formariz
15 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Both here. Any permanent hard surface. 

4 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Just store your patio blocks flat across a large area of ground and cover with a "temporary" garage. Lol

In my town  pavers which are really not permanent and are removable are considered permanent unlike in all other adjacent towns. In addition to taxation they count towards the percentage of land one is allowed to cover with structures.

1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

My town's general property tax rate stands at 1.94 / 100

Nearby Sea Girt is 0.67 / 100 but the homes there are RICH RICH RICH!  So they pay a LOT more total than I do even their rate is so low.

2.68 here in Essex county. One of the highest in the state I believe.

• Sad 1

formariz
17 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

1.  SAVE SAVE SAVE as much money as you can afford NOW!  If you do you will be able to retire early and not wait till you're old.

2. TAKE CARE OF YOUR TEETH!  RELIGIOUSLY!  You're going to need them for a LONG TIME!

3. BUY the BEST MATTRESS you can afford!  You spend 1/3 of your life there, might as well be comfortable!

That's all you need to know.

Sound advice.

Gregor

I have no tractor work to do at present. (waiting on some small parts)No motors to rebuild. Everything is pretty much up to date, so I decided to do some home chores. Cleaned a small section of gutter that had not been replaced in the last month. I also cleaned my AC condenser coils. The condenser was installed last summer. The cotton wood seed seems to be done in my area. That condenser was TERRIBLE for being only one year old. If you have cotton woods in your area, I suggest you might check your condenser. On this particular model, you have to remove all the side panels. PITA  but I think it's worth it.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Another way to look at it.      During the 55 years I have lived in my house, I have paid over $200,000 property taxes  on the house that I bought for $21,900.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Pullstart

I’ve been helping my Aunt and Uncle.  We are building a precast block panel outdoor kitchen.  Last year I roughed in gas, water and power in before the concrete.  He broke his ankle, then after he recovered had a heart attack and a few other life changing events.  Now we’re going gangbusters to finish it up.  It’ll be finished with rough cut fieldstone brick and a granite counter.  There will be an ice maker on the left, grill in the center and fridge on the right.

In the midst of putting some leveling mortar on the top of the panels, I witnessed a turtle take a mallard under though he fought for his life for about 2 minutes or more.  They were feasting in the middle of the channel by the time our lunch was ready.

6079450E-85D0-4CA4-BEAA-CFBBF819AA52.jpeg

1B5912DE-ECDD-492F-ACD1-276925E8CEEA.jpeg

• Like 1

tom2p
17 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

I've been considering having concrete driveway installed where I now have gravel...with rebar to prevent separation and/ or upheaval. About afraid to get an estimate though...

rebar - plus the wire mesh - and joints properly placed for expansion / contraction 

on a good surface and properly done - cement driveway can go a long long way with little issues 

and cement now can have the fibers (whatever) which can add to durability and longevity with little / no issue 

oh - and one thing - never salt it 

never 

below pic of my parents driveway (one of two driveways to their house ; one on each side of the house) 

the concrete pad was poured sometime around the early 70's ... I don't think there is one crack in it ... my dad joked you could land a commercial jet on it  lol

the smaller bottom pad next to the road was redone (by the township) when the road was widened / re-paved

D2DD8C53-D48E-4CDF-A708-A72F4AA35A52.jpeg

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Nice scrap pile find at work! A bucher 2 spool sectional valve! Maybe a loader upgrade, or base to add a couple spools for the backhoe.

20210721_155346.jpg

• Like 3

OldWorkHorse

Painted up a adjustable wrench to toss into the B80 oil checks and whatnots.

20210721_155856.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 4

ohiofarmer

Making the OOS Dodge into a more reliable hauler, but as usual, Wheel Horse is a part of it. The old 1994 Ram 1500 was leaking at the driveshaft pinion seal at the rear end. The seal is metal to metal and driven into the gear box.  I was pretty miserable lying under a jacked up, but still difficult installation that just did not want to start. I put the stubborn new seal into the freezer while I carefully sanded around the housing, looking for any burr.

I knew that once that cold seal lip hit the housing, it would be difficult to tap around the lip to seat it, and then the idea hit to take the drive pulley from the C-160 that just days ago burned the bearing would fit over the splined shaft and let me apply even pressure while driving it in. So a combination of freezing the seal, removing all burrs, and the perfect seal driver courtesy of Wheel Horse sealed the deal.

So far I have 817.00 in a truck that is a solid driver in pretty decent shape

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

AMC RULES

20210720_113432.jpg.3f6c65d0e978097878e8e50b50e3e6f9.jpg

20210721_105353.jpg.9ff756597c1a47efa41aff2148e7c2bf.jpg

• Like 3