drewd

416-8 rewiring = what is the correct gague wire?

drewd

I am finishing up fixing up the beat up 1987 416-8 that I picked up a while ago.  While I am waiting for a new gas tank bushing and shut off I am installing a new ignition switch and run new wires.  All the wiring has been reworked by PO and the safety switches have been removed or bypassed as has the indicator light circuit board.  I'll leave it like it is (this will be a work tractor) just replace the current wiring ignition switch and light switch.  My question is; what is the recommend gauge wire to use?  The PO was "creative" in working on this rig and I want to make sure I replace the beat up wiring with the proper gauge.  Thanks!

biged77

I have a 1988 416-8 and it's my favorite.  The indicator light circuit board is not too important but it would be better to wire back the PTO, clutch and seat safety switches if possible.  As for the wire gage, iSaveTractors says 14 or 16 AWG for all except the battery ground and starter wire which should be 6 AWG.

Ed

drewd

Thanks Ed!  I downloaded the color coded wiring diagram and will replace what I can including the PTO and clutch safety switches if possible.  

biged77

That sounds good, if the existing switches are still in place they may work if the contacts are cleaned up.  I would also recommend adding a wire from ignition switch ground (G terminal) to the battery ground connection.  This provides a more secure switch ground and may save some problems in the future.  I had such problems myself.

Good luck on the rewiring.

Ed

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Rob R
      By Rob R
      Afternoon gentlemen friend of mine's father passed after a long illness, and he is now the owner of his Wheel Horse 416-8 with the Onan P216.  He wants to sell it to me as he has other tractors. I never owned and Onan Machine what advice can you give me. It has been in storage for 5 years and of course according to him "ran when parked" Has 365 hours on it. Thanks in advance going to look at it this Wednesday.  
    • Jon Paulsen
      By Jon Paulsen
      Inexpensive - Carlisle X Trac ATV Bias Tire - 16x6.50-8 Good quality (I expect) Should look nice with my large rear aggies  
      I don't know how much these have been discounted, but I expect anything you find like this from a good brand will be 2X to 3X the price. $45 each at Amazon. This tire is discontinued. 

Rough measurement seems they are about 16" tall and the lugs are about 1/2" deep. 

• morePEdal
      By morePEdal
      416-8 with Onan P216 Engine
      The good:
      *576 hours
      *Nice, clean deck (42”)
      *Nice Plow
      *Wheel Weights
      *Chains
      *2nd owner. 1st owner sold the house in 2020 and said he was getting too old so he included it with the house.
      *Original receipts and paperwork and manuals.
      *Receipt showing tune-up and changing from the deck to the plow in November 2021
      The bad:
      *The last time it was used was the winter of ‘21/‘22. It is currently set up with the plow.
      *Had trouble starting, when it started, it died after 4-5 seconds. He had a portable charger and it helped. We got it running, but when I turned it down to idle, it died. 
      *I didn’t get a chance to test drive it because of this.
      *One front tire goes flat fast, one rear tire has a slow leak.
      *He is going to buy a battery before I look at it again on Friday so I can test drive it.
      What do you think is the issue? Is it the battery or fuel system?
      Do you have a way to verify what year this is with the ID number and serial number? Also, the ID number of the deck. I’ll upload pictures of the stickers.
      *He says his driveway has an incline so snow and ice would pool around his door opening so he got tired of his wheels spinning. He decided to pay for plow service. (Home is big and nice with a lot of land.) He also decided to get a zero-turn mower so that’s why this 416-8 wasn’t used since after winter ‘21/‘22.
      He’s asking $500.

• Boyd
      By Boyd
      wheel horse garden tractor mower, rear discharge mowing deck & snow blower both in good condition and runs well. all the parts for the snow blower are with it.

• odee61
      By odee61
      Will the PTO work from the 312 Hydro with a 12 hp Kohler onto the 416-8 Onan?  My PTO disc went today. Any help would be most appreciated.