D_Mac

The "Speedanza" gets some more parts.

D_Mac

@Razorback yes that is the lever. I can pull it back it lifts the blade but only locks into the first position. The lever hits the rear tire. That why I think if I change the tires I can get it back far enough to go into the next notch. Going to work on that today. here is a pic of the left side but without the plow hooked up

20200417_122528.jpg

• Like 4

Razorback

I think that is a good idea to swap out the tires.

For the lift lever, mine starts out at approx. the 10 o'clock position as opposed to 12 o'clock like I see on yours. Any adjustment there?

D_Mac

Well I worked on this plow all day today. I cant get the blade to lock into position any higher then 2 inches off the ground. I think I need to drill another hole because the locking pin seams to miss the notches that would lock the blade. It only catches the first notch. Hard to see it without an extra set of hands. I did manage to change the tires and wheels out. I believe the rims are facing backwards but this is the only way they would go on without hitting the fenders. Something must have been done to accommodate the wider car tire that was on it.  Now I am undecided as to what set up I like better. Any thoughts ???I am thinking about removing the plow and taking the chains off these tires. That way I can still take it out for some " hot laps" as @pullstart calls them. In the photo thats as high as I can lock the plow. If you hit a pretty good bump in jumps out too. My next question will be how to get the chains off and what direction should the tread be going. I think I have um on backwards? 

20200420_163253.jpg

20200420_163241.jpg

20200420_163232.jpg

• Like 4

SylvanLakeWH

Tread is correct direction.

Both tires look cool. These will be a lot bumpier. Definitely off the chains to save your grass and pavement...

• Like 1

953 nut
1 hour ago, D_Mac said:

Now I am undecided as to what set up I like better. Any thoughts ???

:confusion-confused:             Bigger is always better!          Ditch the Chevy hubcaps though.

• Excellent 1
  • Confused 1

Pullstart
23 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:             Bigger is always better!          Ditch the Chevy hubcaps though.

I agree!  Except for the Chevy hubcaps!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Any way to get that plow onto a floor jack and see how high it could possibly get?  That would be a perfect place to drill for a travel position pin :handgestures-thumbupright:

D_Mac
6 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Any way to get that plow onto a floor jack and see how high it could possibly get?  That would be a perfect place to drill for a travel position pin :handgestures-thumbupright:

It will go above the hood but wont lock it. The pin that locks it is stationary. The notches on the plate that the pin is supposed to go fit in travels. It is arched so when you lift it it misses the pin. I have a hard time believing that the guy can build the whole tractor but misses the mark on this. I keep looking for something I am doing wrong. @953 nut What have you got against the hubcaps ? Is it a Chevy thing? What if i got cooler hubcaps?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Razorback

Hubcaps or not.......

I keep coming back to that sprocket under the tractor. Without having the tractor to look at, I am wondering if that armstrong lever can be utilized with some kind of attachment to that sprocket to rotate that shaft that the blade arms fasten to? Isn't that what is rotating as lever gets pulled back and the blade goes up?

Razorback

Also: I know there may be other awesome members near you, but I KNOW that @Chris G is nearby. He is a genius, in my book...... see if you can contact him.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

@Razorback I was looking at that sprocket today to see if in anyway could help with the raising and lowering of the plow. I couldnt see anyway it was or could be connected. Right now you have to muscle up that blade by pulling that lever. Its very heavy and puts a lot of strain on that lever. I could see it bending or braking. Plus its left side making it harder if your not left handed. I think original Speedex set up has similar set up where that lever raises or lowers an attachment in the front or raises or lowers attachment on the hitch on the back. Is that how yours functions? The hitch in back is welded stationary on this one and that sprocket as well as what it is mounted to was made by who ever built this thing. Yes I wish I could get another set of eyes on it. Coronavirus isnt making that easy. I am not very mechanical that being said also means I dont have the tools to improve anything on my own. I most likely will take the plow off and stash it away. At least that way I can still tool around on it. I also spotted the seat is starting to split where it bolts down.... ugh

20200420_185100qq.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 4

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Razorback said:

Also: I know there may be other awesome members near you, but I KNOW that @Chris G is nearby. He is a genius, in my book...... see if you can contact him.

I'll second that.

Send that fella a PM....

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

Got help coming over Friday. Talked to my cousin who is a pretty handy guy. He said if the weather is ok he will stop by Friday and take a look at it. Hopefully we can take care of the plow issue. Nice to have another set of eyes see it in person. Might have to bring it to his place depending what he is willing to help me out with. We will see. Changed the oil on it today. I also worked on a new set of hubcaps !!! I had a pair that I wanted to put on it from the start but one was pretty bent up and I couldnt get it to go on the wheel. I think the edge of it had got run over. Well after about an hour of hammering and bending with channel locks I got it to fit the wheel. I will post the pics when I switch tires and rims back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

WHNJ701

Looks great in the last pic.. no hub caps!

wonder if your missing something, maybe something attached to the upper middle part of the plow, can you change the angle of the plow?

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

You can change the angle of the plow with the long lever. Twist it inward it unlocks it. Push it in you angle it to the left. Pull it back you angle it to the right. What I dont know is what the brackets are for that are between the wheels. If you look at the plow frame where it bolts to the frame of the tractor you see a little dog leg on the tractor frame that something bolted to. Above that mounted on the plow frame you see that long bracket that runs north and south and has a notch and a hole at the top of it. I can not figure out the purpose of either. Since its all custom made I cant see why he made them if they didnt do anything. It is possible I dont have all the pieces. that being said I cant think of a purpose for them. Do not give up on the hub caps !!!

D_Mac

Well, worked on this thing all morning with little to show for it. My cousin stopped by to see it. He is a good mechanic and I was looking forward to his opinion on it. After his inspection he couldnt figure it out either ..lol. I ended up replacing the brake cable I installed after I got it to a better cable. We welded the seat that had split around the hole where you bolt it down. We also drilled another hole in the seat spring to move the seat back a bit. I am 6'5 so every little bit of leg room helps. After he left I removed the plow. Didnt see my self plowing with it anytime soon and more fun tooling around on it without it. I was going to swap the tires and wheels over but these are starting to grow on me. It also seems to be running better. Started on one pull today. Must be that Seafoam running through the carb is helping. That all being said I think thats as far as I can go with it. Not sure what I am going to do with it. I am happy it didnt find its way to the scrap yard. I will keep all the pieces together. The dump cart, lawn roller could be used on other machines but the plow no. All built by the same guy so all will stay together. I believe the axle used on the dump cart was the front axle from the Bonanza, whos hood and grill was used on the tractor. Here is how it sits now with the tractor tires on it. I have a different set of hubcaps I would like to see on it but alot of negative feed back on hubcaps. I have a pair of hub caps off of a 55 Chevy that I think would look pretty cool.

20200424_153111.jpg

20200424_140437.jpg

20200422_163252.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 3

SylvanLakeWH

Great job with everything!

Such a cool piece of unique Americana!!! I applaud you for saving it and keeping it all together as a package.

Regarding the hubcaps, aesthetics (if you can use that word related to this beauty) etc. -  everyone’s got their opinion but you’ve got the tractor... yours is the only opinion that counts!!! Do what you want and enjoy it!!!

Thanks for letting us come along, especially with the pictures!!!

:eusa-clap::eusa-clap::eusa-clap:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

@SylvanLakeWH Thank you. Things worked out as far as be getting it. Soon as I saw the ad on Craigslist that tractor spoke to me. Thats why I called about it. Having been out of work for a year now I was in no financial situation to buy it but like I said that worked out for me too. The owner was happy to see it go to someone who would at least try to bring it back to life and not haul it off to the scrap yard. That is the reason he parted with the rest of it, the plow, dump cart, and lawn roller. He did his part, I did mine, and when I pass it on I hope next owner will take it to the next level. Today I might try to mount a tool box to the dump cart or to the rear hitch of the tractor. Just to carry maybe a chain, pair of gloves, some tools ...etc. Also thoughts on keeping the finish. I rubbed it down with boiled linseed oil. Is there a better way to preserve it? Clear coat ? Clear coat even possible after wiping it down with oil? I see some of you guys wipe it down with WD40 anyone have any input on this?

• Excellent 2

WHNJ701

I wouldn't use clear coat at this point, linseed oil works well, be careful with the used rags, Johnsons paste wax works real good, on a couple of mine now I wait to real hot day in July and wipe them down with old drain oil on a rag.  seems to bake in well.  there are a bunch of techniques, 10 people will give you 10 different answers.

you did an awesome job with it!  as said before homebuilt tractors are so unique and tough to find collectors who want them, but they have a following, each one is different, there are no manuals, it's a matter of piecing a puzzle of parts and the builders brain together.  if you ever decide to show it, I am sure it will get a ton of attention.  good luck with it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

Was out this morning working in the rain. I wanted to fasten a small toolbox on the back hitch. I had a nice old metal toolbox that I was going to use but it was a bit to long so I had to settle for this plastic one. ( for now). Pretty simple, metal plate to extend the hole out so you can still hook up the dump cart and lawn roller. Box drilled a couple holes in the bottom and bolted it through. Now you can carry some tools, chain, lunch...whatever. Going to keep my eyes open for a beat up metal box. Yesterday I did what you guys refer to as " seat time". I hitched up the lawn roller and rolled my lawn ! Felt good. I am reading up on how you change the exhaust. I would like to put a little stack on it. I thought maybe just turn the one that is on it up. To do that I need to extend it out another inch.

20200426_112344.jpg

20200426_112332.jpg

20200426_112308.jpg

20200426_112400.jpg

• Excellent 2

ebinmaine
7 hours ago, D_Mac said:

thought maybe just turn the one that is on it up. To do that I need to extend it out another inch

Should be a fairly easy thing to do. You have two options. The piece I circled. if that will come out of the engine you can take it to the big box store plumbing section and get the next length up you need. If it won't come out easily you could get a double female and a short male and just read the whole thing back together.

1056112192_Screenshot_20200426-1916522.png.3e3cedeb8b33ca143857ff30eeb4ec8c.png

D_Mac

@ebinmaine Yes that was my plan. I never tried removing an exhaust. Just grip it with a pipe wrench or two and start spinning?Would there be any advantage or disadvantages from having the muffler facing up? Beside it just looking cool? I thought about just making it as high as the air cleaner

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, D_Mac said:

Beside it just looking cool

On a short stack that's about it.

Taller ones can get the exhaust blowing over your head so you don't smell it.

To remove, it's a neat trick to TIGHTEN it just a bit first.

Then Loosen.

Tighten.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Repeat.

Until it's working its way out.

• Thanks 1

D_Mac

@ebinmaine well thank you for the advice. Today I decided to swap out the tires and wheels again. Ran into a bit of a problem doing so. I guess I tightened the lugs a little to hard when I did this the first time as I stripped to of them. To fix the problem I am just going to make a trip to local hardware store and just put a nut on the back side. Well the new set up looks pretty cool I must say but I think I am going to stay with the tractor tires. I know @jabelman and @953 nut are anti-hubcap and @pullstart is in the bigger is better club. I need to fix what I screwed here before I can do anything else. There are the options

20200427_144618.jpg

20200415_132534.jpg

00b0b_wEVne6WGTg_1200x900.jpg

20200424_153111.jpg

• Like 3

WHNJ701

it's good to have wheel options!

Edited by jabelman
  • Like 2