WVHillbilly520H

2020 Gardening Bug has bitten.

WVHillbilly520H

Update "taters" have All nearly broken through and only a few onions...

20200509_120530.jpg

20200509_120536.jpg

• Like 3

Greentored
On 4/27/2020 at 6:47 AM, WVHillbilly520H said:

Nothing springing up through the soil as of yet here had frost 2 nights last weekend and yes cool but the grass is growing like crazy here central western Blueridge Mountains of VA.

No sign of peppers, cukes or squash here yet, highs in the 60s lows in the 30s ain’t gonna cut it. Unfortunately, Charlie’s beans I found did not take off, they rotted and disappeared. Planted some fresh ones in their place. 

• Thanks 1

Greentored

On another note, the rabbits destroyed my entire row of beets and started going after the peas. I cut a branch out of the tree for full garden view from second floor balcony and this is how I spend my evenings haha 

EB431F7F-767E-4CAC-8200-2B5ED082D156.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

WVHillbilly520H

Had a hard frost if not freeze this past weekend and wilted ALL of newly sprouted green tops 😖😣... Hopefully they'll regenerate and start growing once again.

• Like 1

Herder
On ‎5‎/‎9‎/‎2020 at 5:24 PM, Greentored said:

On another note, the rabbits destroyed my entire row of beets and started going after the peas. I cut a branch out of the tree for full garden view from second floor balcony and this is how I spend my evenings haha 

EB431F7F-767E-4CAC-8200-2B5ED082D156.jpeg

Rabbits are tasty.

• Like 4

WVHillbilly520H
7 hours ago, Herder said:

Rabbits are tasty.

We call that being a "secondhand vegetarian" :hide:...

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Daron1965

Tilled the garden and a few other areas this past few weeks.  Hopefully if the weather cooperates, the wife and I will get the tomatoes and cucumbers planted this weekend. The corn, onions, squash, and pumkin seeds have been in the ground for a week.  

Happy growing season to all..:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Thanks 1

Andy N.

This was my backyard 3 days ago. Today was the first time we've had any sun since then. Luckily we didn't have any flooding in our house like others did, but our sump pumps were definitely working overtime.

I tilled the "mud" garden today and surprisingly I didn't get stuck. Although there were a couple situations that were close and I used the tiller action to push me out. The peas and onions that I planted 2 weeks ago are starting to come up nicely (sorry didn't get any pics). Hopefully we will get the rest of it planted by the end of the holiday weekend. As long as we don't get anymore rain.

And I almost forgot the garlic that we planted last fall to the immediate left of the second pic. That is doing great!

IMG_0423.JPG

IMG_0425.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Daron1965

Looks like you had your own lake.  I hope the weather changes to thr better for you.  

• Like 1

Andy N.

Well tilling the dirt on Wednesday definitely helped. The plot was still a little wet but workable and with the upcoming forecast, the wife and I were able to get everything planted today that we wanted too. Mind you, 1/3 of this garden is for her rhino iguana. She eats farm to table for most of the summer, and she's a fan of Wheel Horses too!

We've also made a cardinal friend with all the dirt turning going on. Robins have been around the whole time, but this cardinal just started showing up this week. 

IMG_0434.JPG

IMG_0435.JPG

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0430.JPG

IMG_1027.JPG

• Excellent 4

Stormin
6 hours ago, Andy N. said:

IMG_1027.JPG

My Other Half would have a fit if that was in the house. :D

• Haha 4

Daron1965
6 hours ago, Stormin said:

My Other Half would have a fit if that was in the house. :D

So, was that " code" for us to send you one? :laughing-rofl:  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WVHillbilly520H

The potatoes are coming back with the warmer temps and rain and the onions are popping up as well... Here's a shot today after I run the TroyBilt walk behind tiller through it.

20200523_104944.jpg

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

Tractorhead

Basically i like proudly presenting status of my Potatoes this year.

in lockdown i plowed few times compost under the soil to refresh.

Than i planted Potatoes, yes i know crop rotation..

So far the grown fantastic, until yesterday.

Hail destroy‘s nearly all my plants. 

they wherebefore 45cm in height short before bloom, that the Hail come and ...

FB13A191-FA45-4F95-8DAC-5011F02AAFA3.jpeg.ebffed105d49cee981bb132f9b5b1520.jpeg

A850B270-E0DC-45E8-B3F3-BE5950CA018F.jpeg.d50997ee4512dee233eca0df06581136.jpeg

7A8046C9-2FCA-4445-8C43-93DF5D74DCC5.jpeg.bb38c0981a87074e28b8db9e125391e6.jpeg

on next day 

after removing the damaged parts

08349DC6-429A-43BA-A6C1-11D3C477FA9E.jpeg.b65afc1c43b1180fd6603e818fd9edf0.jpeg

4CAEF377-198C-48F7-AF87-B55518E953CA.jpeg.d9fad0ea9492c1c9432bbf617d104c7b.jpeg

62516DFC-0022-49B9-AA2F-03E4A16838E0.jpeg.aac333fe325c193d265a3c4a93d5f05a.jpeg

Still more damages can be seen.

8B1DC614-29FB-47A7-AF08-41AA0C18AA34.jpeg.0c62a0260a30b247f8ce53e2236dcc18.jpeg

Before it was a proud field, now it looks a disaster.

i hope some of the Plants survive that.

The onions seems to be in luck.

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

Pullstart

Our Garden is in!  

• Like 2
  • Excellent 4

Pullstart

3 flats, because I thought we needed zucchini and jalapeños...

53423070-17FC-4F5F-95D4-234F75EFE883.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Andy N.

Couldn't ask for a more perfect day. Tilled and weeded the garden in the morning, added homemade mulch around the peppers and broccoli in the afternoon after mowing the lawn, and then watered in the evening! Put up my new to me weather vane, and then spent the night enjoying wine and cigars in front of a fire with my wife!

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0406.JPG

IMG_0407.JPG

IMG_0442.JPG

IMG_0444.JPG

• Excellent 5

Pullstart

• Excellent 2

Tractorhead

I would set a few Coleus Canin into the rows.

That shall keep dogs, cats and even rabbits away

also Lavender shall repell rabbits

both are not poisonous and can be set in garden area.

Edited by Tractorhead

WVHillbilly520H

Here's the potatoes today... I ran the TroyBilt between the rows again Friday evening and "hilled" the plants afterwards... Our garden is taking off corn and beans are busting through and the cabbage tomatoes and peppers holding their own but the cucumbers and watermelon are 50/50.

20200531_161842.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Greentored

We got 12 inches of rain here in NC in 10 days. Finally cleared and dried up enough to get the disc on the 1277, throw some mulch in, and clean things up a bit.  The snap peas are going bonkers, this is the second picking in 3 days and theyre still flowering!

Rabbit report: after mowing down my entire beet crop and going after the peas 3 weeks ago, I picked up some natural spray- peppermint/garlic/clove oil, and threw down some coyote urine capsules around the perimeter. Havent had anything touched since then. The neighbors cat took care of two small ones, im sure that helped. Its late for beets here but I went for it anyhow, replanted a row, and theyre taking off!

No sign of the peppers or cucumbers, and the squash is just popping a bit- its been pretty cool here, thats not helping. Buddy gave me a handful or some high dollar hybrid corn so I threw some in, it was out of the ground in 5 days and looking good.

gar5.jpg

gar3.jpg

gar4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

WVHillbilly520H

I put up a small critter deterent fence around our garden all seeds are busting through... Have another brand of corn to plant in a couple weeks.

20200525_172316.jpg

20200525_172328.jpg

• Like 2

WVHillbilly520H

Weekly update the potatoes are going gangbusters (row 3 was plated nearly a month later) at in-laws garden... And our corn beans lettuce radish carrots and cabbage are doing well, the melon pepper cucs and tomatoes are so so...

20200606_124747.jpg

20200606_124800.jpg

20200606_141937.jpg

20200606_141950.jpg

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

• Excellent 1
  • Sad 1

Pullstart

Found more tracks.  Deer.  

I need that fence up, along with deterrent scents...

2C997C0C-5412-454C-98D3-6BA706C97CF0.jpeg

5BBDF526-A275-4375-8BBC-56DB12F80D3E.jpeg

• Sad 2