This is not done yet. Wait.

agree - won't be done for a while 

similar to other viruses 

if and until a vaccine is found 

and even then it will claim lives - because not everyone will get a shot 

formariz
4 hours ago, tom2p said:

quick glance at the numbers above - eye opening to say the least 

with the exception of a small number of states - the mortality rate is lower than from a typical flu season 

( please note : I'm not comparing the COVID virus to the flu - only comparing the mortality rate )

screen shot below is an earlier screen shot - but provides context 

Since I am a big fan of numbers but usually coming from another more pleasant source I am here looking at the chart you provided and find some interesting things.

I don't see what a time period for all of those deaths associated with the flue but they are 59,618.

Don't see a time period for COVID 19 deaths but that I know when it started so essentially we have 25,527 in 3 months.

Addressing flue deaths first which sadly seems to me we are using to determine how real is this new threat is, but we have to use some type of reference.

Essentially 60,000 flue deaths .A disease well know to the whole world regardless of what type for which there are solutions as long as it is caught in time. Now why is it that in the richest,most advanced country in the world and the largest economy  we have that many deaths from the flue? Since symptoms are well known so are the solutions, why so many deaths? Inevitably many of those who died, suffered from other complications including a compromised immune system. Where are the numbers for those in this chart.? Others probably cant afford health care therefor not having it and let it go too long until it was too late.There may be several reasons why, my point being that it is embarrassing that in a country so rich we still have so many deaths from the common flu. After all we blow money on everything and everybody out there but cant take care of our own.

Now COVID 19 has essentially 30,000 deaths in 3 months according to chart to round things off. That is a disease that we essentially know nothing about yet and absolutely have no way of controlling now or in the near future, despite all the social distancing you want to throw at it.That is already half of the flue deaths in only 3 months. It also does not matter if you have heath care or not. If you get it odds are not good.Your odds with the regular flu are good assuming none of the factors previously mentioned are involved. A big number of deaths is from health workers who treat or handle patients with it. How many of those have died from getting infected with the regular flue from patients? Where are those numbers? The rest of the world has the same grave problem and we are here just comparing it to the damn flu? Are we waiting for the numbers to become parallel with each other to then say Oh crap we have a problem?

Are we also looking at such a chart and seeing that it is a problem with only some states since the numbers are so lopsided and deciding that it is not so bad. Are we not all the same country? Should I not care about Wyoming because they only have one death from it? If we need to see charts then we need complete and accurate charts that encompass every situation because that is how charts are used correctly. Said charts also have to take into account the rest of the world. We are not isolated in this and we have a tendency of always waiting too long to do anything about big problems until it is too late, then the cost of such inaction costing countless lives. One has only to look at history to realize that.  Lets learn from it and not bury our heads in the sand leaving our precious behinds exposed.

Edited by formariz
  • Heart 2

953 nut
6 hours ago, formariz said:

beaches open full of people.

Don't trust what is seen in TV. My sister-in-law lives i Jacksonville, FL and said there  are very few people on the beach, that is old stock footage of people on the beach. She drives down to the beach a few times a week to walk and said everyone has been respecting social distancing.

lynnmor

I really think that there is an extreme effort being made to combat this germ warfare.  We can point fingers and do the blame game, but that doesn't change a thing.  Yes, much has been done years ago to make our health care system less affordable and care has been reduced to pay all those paper shufflers, so if one wants improvement they need to demand not more third party involvement, but much less.

Now just WTH were people thinking by sending money to a Communist country to study extremely dangerous germs?  Personally I do not think that this release of a virus was completely accidental, there has been nothing but coverup by the Communists.  For example; they claimed to have erected a large hospital in three days, yea, right.

Edited by lynnmor
  • Excellent 1

CCW
On 4/18/2020 at 7:54 AM, wallfish said:

Numbers are still rising. Many people around here are still stupid and many don't wear masks while out in public. Stupid IS as stupid does! Guess they are just too cool to be seen wearing that accessory. The idea here is to prevent others from catching your $#!t, not to protect yourself. But it's clear and obvious some people just don't give a rat's @zz about anyone else but themselves. The numbers keep climbing and it's all over every media outlet so there's absolutely no excuse for ignorance. It's just plain simple and complete selfishness on their part. If everyone just follows some easy simple guidelines whether they believe in it or not, we will all get back to some sort of normalcy a lot quicker. But sure enough as it is with anything else, 10% of the people are 90% of the problem.

How many of us would be the first to stop and help someone in an accident?

How many of us rush to the kitchen to cook a meal for a sick church member?

How many of us are willing to donate to assist so many others or rebuild a home?

Wearing a mask is jumping into the game to help and protect everyone else. Today I took my mother to the doctor's office and wore a mask from the moment she came out of her apartment to when I dropped her off.  Just to protect her and the doctor and nurse.  I have no symptoms and my wife and I keep to ourselves, I wear one whenever I go out. 

Please wear a mask.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

JAinVA

I disagree that a mask won't protect the wearer.People have been knocked and killed in this country because someone didn't practice an acceptable social distance.The mask protects others from your sh#t but will protect you from the wrath of others.I have procured masks and use them for the reason I've stated and wear gloves to protect me!

tom2p
6 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Don't trust what is seen in TV. My sister-in-law lives i Jacksonville, FL and said there  are very few people on the beach, that is old stock footage of people on the beach. She drives down to the beach a few times a week to walk and said everyone has been respecting social distancing.

hmmm - appears you are on to something 

01F157C1-42BC-4B68-99AF-BFD7C0A47032.png

similar to when CBS used the footage of an overcrowded hospital in Italy during a report on NYC 

00B98447-4968-4232-8ED9-26558746B281.png

ironically - CBS didn't have to use that footage from Italy - they could have used footage from Bellvue hospital (NYC) at just about any period before the COVID virus

Bellvue often has multiple patients crowded in small rooms and patients on beds lined up against walls outside the crowded rooms 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1

formariz

What news agency is the original source of that photo ? I really would like to know because if so they should be dealt  with accordingly. At times like this blatant lies regardless who propagates them should be dealt with severely. 

Edited by formariz
  • Like 1

tom2p

EE9E87CF-1A0F-461E-A3FF-94F45B6D332D.png

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

tom2p

gotta be careful with what you see and read - like this :

E1A50778-24E4-4230-A25A-7C881683EF36.png

guy ingested fish tank cleaner

Edited by tom2p
  • Sad 3

Stormin

I learned along time ago not to believe what the media say. Unless I had more or less first hand knowledge.

Interesting about the photos. When a certain person visited the UK last year, bragging how we loved him, a photo appeared in the US of a vast crowd welcoming him. Now I happen to know that that photo was taken when he was here. But nowhere near where he was. That was Liverpool welcoming home their football team.

I have a journalist friend who has no time for the tabloid press. They aren't interested in the truth. Just a good story.

• Like 3

formariz
On 4/21/2020 at 3:30 AM, Stormin said:

I learned along time ago not to believe what the media say. Unless I had more or less first hand knowledge.

Interesting about the photos. When a certain person visited the UK last year, bragging how we loved him, a photo appeared in the US of a vast crowd welcoming him. Now I happen to know that that photo was taken when he was here. But nowhere near where he was. That was Liverpool welcoming home their football team.

I have a journalist friend who has no time for the tabloid press. They aren't interested in the truth. Just a good story.

Unfortunately today is very hard to know what is true and what is not. Many (perhaps the majority) of news agencies merely want to create an illusion of the actual truth , sadly due to political affiliations, influence by powerful people or their plain opinion. Sensationalism is also very profitable and a ratings booster. We have to be smart or rather very selective on what we believe from those sources. Unfortunately even sources which should be beyond reproach and should have the welfare of the "entire" population as a concern do not. Luckily for some of us who have personal experience with some of those sources it is a little easier to disseminate the truth from past experiences. The truth however, I have learned, is something that has a tendency of popping its little ugly head out eventually. Its inevitable, but sadly many times its too late for those whom the lack of it was detrimental. But it will, its inevitable. Will we all however when that happens learn from it and start holding the culprits accountable for it? Or will we just merely dismiss it as the truth not being the truth as we always do ? If so then we deserve nothing more than what we wind up with. After all , many still think the Holocaust never happened.

On 4/20/2020 at 11:18 PM, tom2p said:

ironically - CBS didn't have to use that footage from Italy - they could have used footage from Bellvue hospital (NYC) at just about any period before the COVID virus

Bellvue often has multiple patients crowded in small rooms and patients on beds lined up against walls outside the crowded rooms 

Yes, shame on CBS for doing that. Things are bad enough in this country that there should be no need to go elsewhere in order to demonstrate the gravity of the situation and shame on us no one holds them severely accountable for it.. There is however some good in seeing those photos from another country in the same predicament as we are now. We just need to have an objective unbiased mind and before we quickly dismiss it as the fake that it is for the purpose which was intended for, and,  really look at it. They are real photos. There have been several instances of such photos and I don't know which ones everyone is looking at, but in general did anyone notice  the quality and advanced nature of the equipment being used in those hospitals? Has anyone looked at ours and compared it to theirs? After all looking at hospital bills in this country one would think that the image should be from the US.

That brings me now to the second  part of the quote at hand. I am sure also that such a statement comes from reading something. And although there is some truth to that statement it is totally taken out of context. So from someone who has worked all of his life in New York City, and actually worked numerous times in Bellevue Hospital furnishing the mill work for the Labs and patient areas, and as things go, had to be treated there a couple of times due to small work injuries let me enlighten you a little bit about it. Although with many recent and modern renovations it is the first public hospital in the US dating from the late 1700's. It is an old facility where many areas are small by today's standards but still in operation. It has had somewhat of a reputation due to the fact that it was also used as a psychiatric facility in the "centuries" before. It is also an extremely large hospital that although not the only one, serves  a city that during a normal working day has over 8 million people in it. For those of you which have never experienced such a city I understand it is hard to visualize. So when one states also that patients are lined up against walls , is it possible that such patients are really in line for for example the x-Ray room which I furnished the lead lined doors for? Or for other tests in other areas for that matter? Has anyone ever spend countless hours in such a hospital and watch it in full operation? Unlike the majority of other cities there are very different circumstances here . I will not mention the names of any other city in comparing conditions or care because that would be unfair and outright disrespectful. Circumstances are very different from place to place and criticizing one by comparing it to another is just fair. You then may say also that it is not fair comparing equipment in Italian hospitals to ours. It is when you pay have to pay such a premium for it that it alters a large portion of your life.

I can go on about it  but what is the point? The point is, look at things for what they are and not what someone else wants you to think is, and, that perhaps if we do not have personal experience with certain things or individuals, they may just not be what we think or what it seems.(although sometimes its pretty freaking obvious)

Edited by formariz
  • Like 2

tom2p

Actually - the statement on Bellvue hospital was not based on reading - but based on actual observation.  

My oldest kid is a NYC resident - lives on the upper west side (Manhattan).  He's lived there for 6 years - and we visit him often.  

Also have friends in other NYC areas including Brooklyn (Bay Ridge area) where we've stayed - and north of the city in Westchester county (Bronxville and Scarsdale).

We were in NYC just recently - this past January. 

We've been to NYC hospitals including Bellvue as well as other area hospitals including NY Presbyterian (upper east side as well as Columbia University) and MT Sanai (upper west side). 

formariz

You should then understand better than most  the different circumstances here. I certainly hope your son is ok. I spent many hours of my life working in quite a few of them and also with my wife unfortunately being a patient for a brain tumor at St Luke's Roosevelt Hospital and now visiting Beth Israel every other month.

Edited by formariz

formariz

Just received more bad news. Another good friend just passed away from this and wife is in very bad shape. This is absolutely a terrible situation. I am not easily intimidated by anything but this has now terribly worried, not for myself but my wife. I am the one going out when needed and if I am the cause of an infection I just don’t even know what i would do.

Lord help us.

• Sad 2
  • Heart 1

tom2p

sorry to hear about your friend 

if we continue to do the right things   *** and remain locked down as much as possible hopefully we all should be fine 

*** social distance / masks / wash hands and keep away from face / clean and disinfect items and areas

• Like 2

tom2p

this virus has especially reinforced two things for me :

#1 - I don't want to be on a cruise ship 

#2 - I don't want to be in a nursing home 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

Sparky
18 hours ago, tom2p said:

this virus has especially reinforced two things for me :

#1 - I don't want to be on a cruise ship 

#2 - I don't want to be in a nursing home 

Even before this Covid business I never had any interest in cruise ships. For sure I won’t be on one now!

My wife is a nurse in a nursing home and like all

the nursing homes here in Ct they also have “positive” Covid cases. An alarming number in my opinion! So I wouldn’t want to be in a nursing home as either a patient or a worker. 

• Sad 1

wh500special

Holy smoke, Cas.  Hang in there.  

Do what you can to be prepared and take care of yourself and your wife.  I know you’re in a real hotspot there so are experiencing worse than most of us.  This must be what it’s like to have the enemy at the gates. 

Even though we can’t be there to help you, know that we’re pulling for you. 

We’ve been fortunate so far. It’s all around us but not in overwhelming numbers at this point.  

Best wishes. 

steve 

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

JoeM

Over the last week I needed to venture out into the real world, (beyond my necessity circle), and found out I have become a real people watcher. I stopped in at an ALDI and picked up a few items, went well. A person at the door wiping down buggies, and making sure to not let to many in at once. Persons shopping all wore masks and seemed to abide by distancing protocol. The white gloves I wore we seemed just about as clean as when I went in.

Next stop later on was at Rural King to get a battery. Completely different story. No door check. No buggy cleaning, 20% of the people had no mask, or wore it around neck just on chin, and grouped up like baby ducks. 

White gloves brown.

It really told me something. If this thing is real, (and I know it is), we are in trouble. For what ever reason, disbelief, laziness, lack of knowledge etc. it is obvious a certain percent of the population is careless, and does't want to comply.

I thought at one time the lock-down was to overdone, I changed my mind.....we do need lock down.

Just another perception.

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

953 nut
On 4/23/2020 at 10:32 PM, tom2p said:

I don't want to be on a cruise ship 

I fell for the cruise deal once when I was 17;           Ended up in the U S Navy for four years!             :laughing-rolling:

5 hours ago, TractorJunkie said:

obvious a certain percent of the population is careless, and does't want to comply.

I thought at one time the lock-down was to overdone, I changed my mind.....we do need lock down.

Just another perception

I am looking forward to attending church in person and having a normal life (six feet apart) but am anticipating several setbacks along the way as people relax the stay at home too much and don't heed the warnings. China sounded the all clear in Wuhan and now they are having an epidemic in Beijing.

• Like 3