formariz

Too close for comfort

formariz

This epidemic is getting too close for comfort now. One good friend just passed away from it. Another one along with wife and children all have it. I am not a worrier but my poor wife is beginning to freak out. She has been inside for over a month since she is very vulnerable due to her condition. Not easy keeping her distracted from it . 

• Like 1
  • Sad 10
  • Heart 4

Lane Ranger
3 hours ago, formariz said:

This epidemic is getting too close for comfort now. One good friend just passed away from it. Another one along with wife and children all have it. I am not a worrier but my poor wife is beginning to freak out. She has been inside for over a month since she is very vulnerable due to her condition. Not easy keeping her distracted from it . 

My daughter lives in Northern New Jersey which is getting hit hard.    She and her husband can both work from home but she has a two year old and is pregnant and due in July.   New Jersey is getting hit hard. with teh virus.

We want to be there in July when our new grandchild will be born.  We do not know yet what conditions will be lke at that time.

We are staying put as much as possible in the house.   We do not have contact with much in the way of people accept the mail carrier, package delivery carriers and the grocery delivering  (we use Instacart from the Krogers which is two blocks away from the house).

I understand your wife's anxiety as I have pre-existing conditions too.  We spend time during the day talking on the phone with the kids, my mother and siblings,  watch movies,  read, and I have workes some on the tractors.

We have cleaned the house so much with routine and not so routine cleaning tasks,

The key to this is to follow good guidance.    We do dailey wash our hands many times.  Any outside boxes, bags and items brought in are cleaned with disinfectant  wipes or soap and water.

We largely follow what the American Red Cross has posted as guidance.  My wife ran a health clinic for 35 years so she is super vigilant and aware of needed precautions.

This is a very worrisome time but the virus is a reality and a deadly one.   The scientists, researchers and doctors do not yet know all the aspects of the way this virus is acting and cable of acting.

One person can spread it to many even if they think they are healthy.   This is a real threat to life! 

https://www.redcross.org/about-us/news-and-events/news/2020/coronavirus-safety-and-readiness-tips-for-you.html

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 3

JoeM
5 hours ago, formariz said:

my poor wife is beginning to freak out. She has been inside for over a month since she is very vulnerable due to her condition. Not easy keeping her distracted from it

Mine too. Last night my sons wife called and said one of his coworkers is out possibly down with the 19, she feel apart! 

On the lighter side, the dude working the beer distributor said "two months ago if you came in here with a mask and rubber gloves....I was getting robbed, now I am glad to see that!"  

• Heart 3

squonk

I too am high risk (heart disease and just plain ugly) (uglier with the barber shops closed down) . I have to go out and work. But work on what?  We cleaned our campuses for 2 weeks. Did a couple of repairs. Getting parts is becoming a night mare. Vendors out of state are at half staff so If I talk to 1 person today, they are off tomorrow. So if something gets screwed up it takes 2 days to solve it. Local vendors don't want you in the store. You call your order in then call when you get there and they practically throw your order at you. Try doing that with an AC compressor. We got 2 boilers to work on and a dish machine pump but that's it. They are all carryover jobs from before this hit. Schools don't want anybody in their buildings.  And forget about PPE. Our suppliers cant't get it. We got some cheapie dust masks 2 to a person and that's it. I think the Feds are stockpiling it all. Orders are getting redirected. Any PPE orders are getting flagged. That's why the NY hospitals are short on this stuff.

And don't get me started on these idiots protesting. If this virus was just a 2 week inconvenience and not deadly, I'd wish every one of those selfish buttheads would catch it! 

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 1

wallfish

As a life long smoker since the age of 12 it's probably a death sentence for me unless my father's genes were passed along. And like most of those idiots out there, I could give a crap about myself and smoking is something I did to myself. But my wife is high risk, my MIL is 90 years old and who knows how it could effect my grandchildren as we all live on the same property. My worst fear would be to burden my family or even others. Choosing to walk around nonchalantly without any protection to help prevent the transfer and possibly infecting others is the equivalent of drunk driving and running over the kids in the driveway. It will make it's way to get someone sooner or later and the only difference is you just don't get to be there to actually see it happen,( in most cases). Sure it was unintentional but you're still responsible.

Getting off the soap box :soapbox:  Sorry for the rants but just needed to vent a little 

• Like 7
  • Heart 1

squonk

Wife just informed me a group home around the block has just tested positive with over 20 cases. :(

• Sad 8
  • Heart 1

JAinVA

Like a lot of you I spend my days at home.My kids say I have been self isolating for years.We try to follow the guidelines and look out for each other.i have been trying to keep up with the news and have seen a lot of angst across the country.People are panic buying chicks in Texas,and of course the shortage of toilet paper.As I sit here drinking my morning coffee I wonder what the world will be like when this nightmare over.I think a lot will be different.

• Like 5

ZXT
1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

People are panic buying chicks in Texas

As in live chickens? That's something I've not heard of.

JAinVA

Live chicks,yes,not pullets or laying hens .I read that people were buying over 100 at a time.I don't understand it but it maybe they had a hard time getting eggs at the store.I keep hens for egg production and unsexed chicks will be a surprise for some.

Half those chicks will be roosters.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 2
  • Heart 1

roadapples

I'm so glad I live in the boonies. At least I can get out of the house.

On the other hand if I had to live in the city, I 'd probably welcome the virus..

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Heart 1

tom2p

obese are especially vulnerable 

( according to some early studies - obese are more vulnerable than smokers )

of course, seniors are among the most vulnerable because their immune systems are not as robust 

since I'm stuck at home I just keep eating - I need to practice social distancing from the refrigerator 

the more I eat the more vulnerable I become !

maybe I need to wear a mask inside the house and I will eat less

• Haha 5

tom2p
6 hours ago, TractorJunkie said:

Mine too. Last night my sons wife called and said one of his coworkers is out possibly down with the 19, she feel apart! 

On the lighter side, the dude working the beer distributor said "two months ago if you came in here with a mask and rubber gloves....I was getting robbed, now I am glad to see that!"  

now we welcome masks and gloves  lol

953 nut
11 hours ago, squonk said:

Getting parts is becoming a night mare

Tell me about it. I need an expansion valve for my Carrier AC/heat pump (made in China) and an igniter for my Navien tank-less  water heater (made in S.Korea). Both parts are shown as in inventory but the supply chain has come to a halt because they are non-essential. I have jury-rigged the igniter and we are heating the house with the gas log stove so I can't complain..

18 hours ago, formariz said:

my poor wife is beginning to freak out. She has been inside for over a month

My wife had been watching too much news and was starting to loose faith that this will pass. hadn't been out of the house for weeks, not even sitting on the deck or walking along the creek, we have seven acres in an isolated area.

Over the past week I have been taking her for drives around the area and sight seeing just to ease her concerns.   We will call friends and arrange to meet them in their driveway while maintaining social distancing. This has helped her to feel less uneasy.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1
  • Heart 2

JAinVA

I'm in the center of six acres of woods.I don;t leave the the place unless there is no option.I am slowed down by weather more than the virus.I don't see a need to just stay in the house but every one has their  own concernsThe kids say I have self isolated for years so for me it's just another day at the office.I don't take the risks lightly but with little contact with others I feel I'm doing all I can.Be well all !

• Like 4

squonk
11 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Tell me about it. I need an expansion valve for my Carrier AC/heat pump (made in China) and an igniter for my Navien tank-less  water heater (made in S.Korea). Both parts are shown as in inventory but the supply chain has come to a halt because they are non-essential. I have jury-rigged the igniter and we are heating the house with the gas log stove so I can't complain..

My wife had been watching too much news and was starting to loose faith that this will pass. hadn't been out of the house for weeks, not even sitting on the deck or walking along the creek, we have seven acres in an isolated area.

Over the past week I have been taking her for drives around the area and sight seeing just to ease her concerns.   We will call friends and arrange to meet them in their driveway while maintaining social distancing. This has helped her to feel less uneasy.

My wife is home with the dogs everyday so she put the crates in the van and takes them for walks in cemeteries. No crowds there! :) Send me the model and serial of your water heater.

• Like 3

formariz
18 hours ago, 953 nut said:

That is a big part of the problem, her watching the news too often.It puts her in a constant state of panic. I tried to take her on a drive but she is even afraid of that now. She does walk around the property which is only about one acre but it take a bit of persuasion for that to happen. She has Parkinson's and the lack of physical activity takes a toll on her condition. This situation also does not help her mental state. Parkinson's also has a very negative effect on the mental state of patients. She went every week on Thursdays to help my daughter in law with the kids (4) and we were there again just about every Sunday. Not being able to be with the grandchildren has really devastated her even though we do Facetime all the time. It was a pretty devastating moment here when she was told by the doctor that she should not leave the house to go there. She was inconsolable. This is a terrible situation.

• Sad 4
  • Heart 1

Stormin

You people over there, don't have sole rights to selfish idiots. Behind my place lives a 95  year old woman. Other side of her is her daughter and husband. He has issues. Mainly down to greed and lazyitous.

We live in a rural area, no passing traffic and the homes are spaced out. People only going out for what's needed. The couple aforementioned have a daughter who lives in a nearby town. She's been to visit her parents at least three times we know of. At one time she had two of her children with her. Now maybe she brought her parents and grandmother groceries. But to bring her kids with her?? These are a family that think they are better and above anyone else.

Unfortunately our eldest daughter is married to their son. But neither she, husband and two boys have not been near. All four self isolating.

• Like 1

formariz
8 hours ago, Stormin said:

That's true!

We lost another friend this morning. Seems like if you have to go to the hospital for whatever reason it is pretty much a death sentence.

And now we have beaches open full of people. We are here now on quest for the title of "The Galactic Stupid"

Edited by formariz
  • Sad 2

lynnmor
42 minutes ago, formariz said:

We lost another friend this morning. Seems like if you have to go to the hospital for whatever reason it is pretty much a death sentence.

And now we have beaches open full of people. We are here now on quest for the title of "The Galactic Stupid"

Did anyone see the educated folks returning from spring break?  Look at the cities they returned to and ask yourself if these numskulls helped to spread the crap.

Click on the video and enlarge it.  https://www.dailydot.com/debug/cellphone-heat-map-coronavirus/

formariz

This is outright criminal starting with the governors allowing this. I don't give a rats behind what political affiliation they have . They should be affiliated with the human race and contribute towards its welfare. If this were in another country we would be quickly analyzing and criticizing their actions yet we are reduced to this. What does it take? As much as it pains me to say this  the rest of the world is right about our politicians.

tom2p
29 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

Did anyone see the educated folks returning from spring break?  Look at the cities they returned to and ask yourself if these numskulls helped to spread the crap.

Click on the video and enlarge it.  https://www.dailydot.com/debug/cellphone-heat-map-coronavirus/

while I don't agree with this - this pales in comparison to what has happened in parts of NY / NJ including NYC

travel into and out of NY was not limited - behavior in NY was not limited early enough  - schools and other activities etc were not closed early enough - and the subways were and are still running 

6821D4AB-DB1C-4909-8242-61702F687A88.png

Stormin

Over here the police have been stopping people heading for national parks, seaside resorts, holiday homes etc and turning them back. Also handing out fines in some cases. But some are still trying it on.

formariz

3 minutes ago, tom2p said:

while I don't agree with this - this pales in comparison to what has happened in parts of NY / NJ including NYC

travel into and out of NY was not limited - behavior in NY was not limited early enough  - schools and other activities etc were not closed early enough - and the subways were and are still running 

You are absolutely correct and we could look at the very different circumstances for all of that but it does not matter anyway.. However nothing was done in time anywhere in this country and it starts at the top.

tom2p

quick glance at the numbers above - eye opening to say the least 

with the exception of a small number of states - the mortality rate is lower than from a typical flu season 

( please note : I'm not comparing the COVID virus to the flu - only comparing the mortality rate )

screen shot below is an earlier screen shot - but provides context 

BA749286-11A6-4090-92E2-462564FA9A38.png

Edited by tom2p