Pullstart

Gardening Seeds are not sellable in Michigan?

Pullstart

3DBD4AF3-D8A7-49C0-A82D-FB0815A9CF57.jpeg

2ECE5267-8752-4707-B0B7-1568C9022E15.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

wh500special
2 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Once one state's governor makes an illogical power grab it tends to give the other power happy government officials ideas.  :soapbox:  Next thing you know they will want to prevent McDonald's from giving out toys with Happy Meals because children might enjoy playing with them.         :scared-eek:

I don't completely disagree with you on this since the essence of human nature seems to be that we all generally gravitate toward doing the wrong, selfish things.  But I'm not sure these decisions are illogical.

These governors are in horrible positions right now and most of them truly seem to "get" the gravity and seriousness of the circumstances facing their millions of constituents.  The legitimate media and social media have a tendency to perseverate on some collateral detail of an action taken that is intended to protect the public and make it into a bigger deal than it is.

Taking away the right to bear green thumbs seems to be the common chorus right now to incite outrage.

My parents get ZERO of their information from social media, relying only on the old guard standard media sources for their information.  For instance, they weigh the misinformation of CNN versus the misreporting of Fox versus the lazy reporting of (insert your least favorite media outlet name here).  Last night on the phone, mom mentioned the Michigan ban on gardening because, apparently, one of the outlets is still reporting the wrong/incomplete details.  Sigh.

Things aren't black or white.  There are going to be some things governors and other executive officers do that seem outlandish and crazy to us because we aren't part of the decision making process that presumably gathers a lot of variables and doesn't do gut reactions.

Situations such as this pandemic are why we entrust a lot of power to an executive branch.  It allows for faster response than would come from committee decisions.

I'm not a fan of the politics of my governor.  His ideas on how to spend my money don't generally mesh with my own.  But in this crisis I have been absolutely impressed with how he is handling things as he uses a staff of technical experts to decide how to preemptively buttress against this avalanche of disaster seen in our state's more urban areas.

He's not going to get everything right and I doubt he expects that he will.  I'm willing to put up with the inconveniences and play along if it means that some poor family living in congested Chicago stands a better chance of making it out of this intact.

You and I probably agree on most things.  In the case of selecting which departments of which stores should remain open and which should get roped off I haven't much of an opinion because I don't know enough about virology or epidemiology to know if these restrictions make sense, so I am willing to give the governors more elbow room.

Stay healthy!

Steve

Edited by wh500special
bahd speling
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wh500special

The boating ban...

I don't completely understand this one and for selfish reasons I'm not for it, but there is more to it than meets the eye.  From the michigan dot gov website:

"The DNR has received many reports about heavy use of boat launches across the state and the subsequent congregation of people at these launches in violation of social distancing requirements, and in a manner that threatens public health. In addition, people who use motorized watercraft typically need to procure secondary services for their craft, such as parts and gasoline, that could unnecessarily increase contact with others and spread disease. The hope is that the prohibition on the use of motorized watercraft will reduce the movement of, and contact among, people with the intent of slowing the spread of the coronavirus."

Recreational boating and fishing is huge business in the water wonderland that is Michigan.  Although it seems like there are few places better to social distance than in the middle of a windblown lake, you can bet the economic ramifications of closing down this industry made this a tough decision.

Expecting DNR employees to patrol something that amounts to recreational opportunities for a few of us seems like an unfair request. 

Locally, our state parks - and many of the boat launches - are closed.  This is the best time of the year for the hottest bite of my favorite fish, but i am staying home willingly.

Steve

Edited by wh500special
  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

sergeant
On 4/14/2020 at 12:11 PM, shallowwatersailor said:

Be happy that you are not in Australia or New Zealand. New Zealand has closed its border to anyone but repatriating citizens. They then have to quarantine in a  mandated location - not home quarantine.

I have a friend that lives near Melbourne, Australia. Australia is the sixth largest country in the world but only 25 Million citizens. Still, Sydney has 5.3 million people. Australia has one of the lowest rates of infection from COVID-19 with 61 deaths and 6,400 cases. They are limiting non-essential travel to a 16 km radius. It is being enforced with a $1,600 AUS fine. Already there have been people that have fought  the fine, and lost. That is how they have kept the cases so low. New South Wales has even stricter regulations with stronger penalties.

I own a 2,720 acre(about 4 square Miles) Sheep Farm Near Perth(inherited) and The restriction don't seem as Bad in Western Australia. My Foreman out there  says everything seems to be running normal at least In the countryside. Though they have not had a need to go into Perth for anything In several Months

• Like 3

shallowwatersailor

This may strike some as being biased and will maybe upset some, but I have taken a long, hard look at what is going on. The unfortunate thing is that some people are treating this like a vacation with all of the freetime available. I find it ironic that people will shop for non-essential items like furniture, etc. at this time. The further we get into the pandemic, health officials are finding that some people are asymptomatic which means that they may not be displaying ANY symptoms. BUT - can infect others that can be infected with the virus.

Governor Mike DeWine (OH-R) was just on TV and related a story about how he had seen 39 of 100 people were found to be asymptomatic.They were not ill! That is why the governors have ordered the stay at home order. Not to protect you, but to protect me. Thought I had three predispositions but found out I have four. The president feels that the surge is passed Living in the more rural Western part of Virginia means that it will be later for the surge to occur here. But just yesterday six more cases were reported in the county. The peak is predicted for April 27. I don't think it is a power grab by governors. They have the good of all at heart. The Presidential guidelines require  14 days of decreasing numbers of new cases. Nowhere in the country has this occurred. That is why testing is crucial, and all test numbers need to be ramped up. Testing is at less than 1%! 3.7 million is very, very low per capita. It needs to be 8-10% to open the country back up.  An analogy would be all the generals during WWII saying that June 6 is D-Day but not doing any prep for it to happen.

I did see on Fox an interview with one of 4 county sheriffs out of 83 in Michigan that are disagreeing with Governor Whitmer about the stay at home order. Interesting how the Fox newscaster tried to be sensational with the story. But it was just common sense. The sheriff is enforcing the six foot rule but has cut slack to county residents that he has found outside canoeing and boating. Why? Because he has seen an uptick in domestic violence and feels that some just need an outlet for the frustration. I know that in my small town we had 24 cases last year and we have 36 this year so far.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ohiofarmer

The Governor in my state has taken over my rental properties by telling us that no evictions were permitted. Federal edicts on the same issue limit the no evictions rule to federally assisted units and those using federal loans. Mom and Pop landlords own about 75% of rental units nationwide. 30% of tenants are late right now.

Of course this is an extraconstitutional taking of property by giving something I own to another person without compensation.

I am composing a letter to the attorney general of my state informing them that i am willing to assign the debt of my tenants that I cannot remove from my property to the state in return for the state taxes that I will owe.  The state can certainly collect the debt far easier than I can.

This is my retirement, people. This is how I get stuff to eat and pay my bills. I am also required to keep current utility bills on the apartments that i own and the second half of property taxes looms in the not too distant future. 

These are just the facts I will refrain from my opinions other than the illegal takings comment expressed previously. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

bottjernat1

You governor is a hole lot of messed up besides the seeds thing. She needs removed from office! Just like most career politicians need removed!!

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Just a thought about the fishing ban.  We all know what spring fishing can be like.  When the White Bass are running on the Wolff River in Wisconsin, you can walk across the river by using the boats out there.  Shore fishing from discharges can be lined with people on both sides.  Sure, you might be safe by yourself in the middle of some lake, but the above examples are not safe practice at all.  So how do you break up a situation like that as a DOT Officer...you don't...you ban fishing because people are stupid.

Just like the gardening ban...it is not a ban on gardening...it is a ban on buying seed in a department store.  Imagine all the people that have picked up those packages and put them back down.  You can order seeds on line and garden.  :eusa-think:

As far as the governor in Michigan, the governor before her is the one that changed the water source for Flint, Michigan.  I think I want the one that is trying to keep her state safe.  :occasion-xmas:  Remember, we have no cure yet for this virus.

• Like 3

tom2p

I believe it was the city of Flint / Flint city officials that initiated the change to the water source and then possibly were later tried and convicted of wrong doing. 

But I could be wrong. 

Among other issues were the extensive use of lead water lines to the individual homes (household  lines).

An all around mess.

stevasaurus

@tom2p  you are correct about Flint city officials, but after the fact the state did nothing and did not want to.  Lead water lines are in almost ever large city.  The service into my house is lead.  The thing is, just like asbestos, it is not harmful until you start messing with it.  Lead paint on your walls is harmless unless eaten or chewed on.

• Like 2