wvhunter

312-8 opinion

Lee1977
12 hours ago, wvhunter said:

does anyone know if it would have 1 or 1 1/8 axle? I am wanting one to plow a garden with it.

Could be either. I have one with a one inch axle. i think it's a 1988 or 1989 model. I would'n't let that stop me from buying it.

• Like 2

peter lena

wvhunter, good opportunity , go get it , no doubt a dirty carb / fuel issue , lots of related info here . you will probably get to" a "baseline  service  " to let you know what is going on .  not to confuse you , but that service would be AFTER YOU CORRECT THE CARB / FUEL PROBLEM . change all lubricants , best when hot / warm , greasing , looking for electrical corrosion , connections . once you get it regularly starting and running , that will give you the confidence and interest to correct more of it . let us know how you make out , good luck , pete

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Looks like you will have to take off the hubcap and measure the diameter of the axle.  :USA:

pfrederi

Really don't worry about 1 or 1-1/8'.  I asked a few years ago on here if any one had actually broken and axle excluding high HP pullers and Duals the answer was no.

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 6

Tractorhead

Good looking Tractor,

i‘m sure you ain‘t regret your decision 👍

Sadly for the rearlight.

It looks at all in good condition, 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Super cool !!!

Now to do a "baseline" and get it cookin...

• Like 2

River19

Nice score.  I'm sure with a little TLC and some short $ into parts you will have a reliable runner......

As for the Hillbilly Cup Holder........it looks poorly designed to me....the angle of the dangle looks "spilly" to me.  That being said.....if the preference is for cold brews sold in 30-racks then perhaps after a strong first pull off a 12oz can the lower profile of said 12oz can might allow for it to stay in place........but I still have my concerns.

Again, nice score for the price.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

peter lena

wvhunter, good opportunity , go get it , no doubt a dirty carb / fuel issue , lots of related info here . you will probably get to" a "baseline  service  " to let you know what is going on .  not to confuse you , but that service would be AFTER YOU CORRECT THE CARB / FUEL PROBLEM . change all lubricants , best when hot / warm , greasing , looking for electrical corrosion , connections . once you get it regularly starting and running , that will give you the confidence and interest to correct more of it . let us know how you make out , good luck , pete

• Like 1

peter lena

wvhunter , just did a quick look up on your pto clevis shaft point ,, good brake down pictures , you will need , bearing ,snap ring, shaft . wheel horse parts available on this site , pete

tom2p

good looking tractor and appears to be well worth the $300 investment 

plow and wheel weights alone might be worth that (?)

don't fuss about the paint - even well cared low hours Wheel Horse tractors will often show paint loss ... 

• Like 2

wvhunter
19 minutes ago, peter lena said:

wvhunter , just did a quick look up on your pto clevis shaft point ,, good brake down pictures , you will need , bearing ,snap ring, shaft . wheel horse parts available on this site , pete

thanks for your help,other than the plow I am lost on knowing what I need to get it ready to plow a garden. I am on a tight budget and will have to get parts as I can afford them.

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, River19 said:

As for the Hillbilly Cup Holder........it looks poorly designed to me....the angle of the dangle looks "spilly" to me.  That being said.....if the preference is for cold brews sold in 30-racks then perhaps after a strong first pull off a 12oz can the lower profile of said 12oz can might allow for it to stay in place........but I still have my concerns

You'll fit right in around here just fine..

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

953 nut
44 minutes ago, wvhunter said:

need to get it ready to plow a garden

Depending on the plow you have you will need to get a hitch and cable to lift the plow. Post a picture of the plow and we can help you figure it out.

2 hours ago, wvhunter said:

he did show me that it will run with starter fluid,

Drain the fuel that is in the tank, replace the 1/4" rubber fuel line, fuel filter and use some ethanol free gas https://www.pure-gas.org/ and add some Seafoam fuel additive. If it won't run on its own then the next step would be a carburetor rebuild, not a hard job.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

I think you got a great deal, the weights are worth a pretty penny!!

You might as well clean the tank and replace the lines while you are cleaning the carb. The ethanol eats the lines on the inside and plugs the carb with little rubber pieces. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 2

Guest 88vic

You did well !   A great investment for $300.  I'm glad you finally got one. Some elbow grease and she will treat you good. 

gwest_ca

1990 or newer because of the black on the decals. 1989 and older were maroon.

If still readable this decal has the important numbers.

Axles should be 1-1/8" diameter and the differential should have 8 pinion gears. It does not get any better.

Garry

1990 or newer 312-8 SS.jpg

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nice score! :thumbs:  

Worth it just for the cup holder and the endless conversation and amusement it will provide! I would “improve” it by adding a simple wedge of wood to the bottom making it “flat” for the beverage to sit on... I’m old school - you don’t waste beer on avoidable things like spillage... :D

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

wvhunter
13 hours ago, peter lena said:

I am confused, do I need to do fix this on my tractor? how can you tell by looking at it that theses parts are bad? 

peter lena

if you were planning to use a mower deck, you definitely need to repair it, or use a rear tiller , i get the impression that you only want to fix what is absolutely necessary , i can understand that you are on a low budget , but repairing this tractor will let you use it . that pto shaft end and bearing are destroyed , can,t you see that ? you can find numerous pictures on this site of what a working pto drive looks like , very sorry if my view offends you , hope you  get help for your problem , pete

wvhunter
5 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

1990 or newer because of the black on the decals. 1989 and older were maroon.

If still readable this decal has the important numbers.

Axles should be 1-1/8" diameter and the differential should have 8 pinion gears. It does not get any better.

Garry

1990 or newer 312-8 SS.jpg

the guy told me that it was a 1990 model, but I will check the number and post it later. thanks for your help

wvhunter
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

if you were planning to use a mower deck, you definitely need to repair it, or use a rear tiller , i get the impression that you only want to fix what is absolutely necessary , i can understand that you are on a low budget , but repairing this tractor will let you use it . that pto shaft end and bearing are destroyed , can,t you see that ? you can find numerous pictures on this site of what a working pto drive looks like , very sorry if my view offends you , hope you  get help for your problem , pete

no sir, I am not offended at all. I was just wondering how you could tell by just looking at the picture. this is my first wheel horse and I am wanting to learn all I can, I am no mechanic but I will try to do what I can. I did not mean to offend you by not recognizing that there is a problem with the pto,i don't know what to look for. and yes sir eventually I want to fix everything a little at a time.i need all the help I can get, I am trying to learn as I go

• Like 2

wvhunter
2 minutes ago, wvhunter said:

no sir, I am not offended at all. I was just wondering how you could tell by just looking at the picture. this is my first wheel horse and I am wanting to learn all I can, I am no mechanic but I will try to do what I can. I did not mean to offend you by not recognizing that there is a problem with the pto,i don't know what to look for. and yes sir eventually I want to fix everything a little at a time.i need all the help I can get, I am trying to learn as I go

I am very sorry if I offened you

• Like 2

peter lena

wvhunter , a simple question would be , is there a local wheel horse owner near you ? you could put a shout out on this site , and probably get a response . seeing and talking to a local  possible neighbor , would give you insight and a hands on view of how things are supposed to be and function. i often think that on a  problem issue , a long time horse owner would go over a lot of what is going on . ask for wheel horse owners near gilbert wv , bet you get some help  , good luck , pete

• Like 2