Colorad

Looking for advice

Colorad

Hi all,

I am new here and am new to the wheel horse tractors. I bought a property and a D-240 came with it. Can anyone give me an idea of the year range it could be ? It does have a Koehler motor. It runs really good, I was doing a little plowing with it and it blew a shaft seal off the hydro transmission pump ?

Any links to literature for removing the pump or suggestions from anyone here that knows more about these, who can point me in the right direction?

much appreciated 

thanks 

I have taken it partially apartBD0C2757-492C-4F45-8FD8-004C9858A563.jpeg.e58d2fe14238815545419581d78b8453.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

"D"- Man

I assume that someone has made a custom decal that indicates "D-240" Automatic, as this may have started out as a D-200 made from 1974-1981.  Parts are getting hard to find but not impossible.  May want to place a "Wanted" ad in the classified section or check out the -bay. The difference between removal of the pump and the impossible, is that, the impossible is just a bit harder.  One other note worth a mention is some owners use motor oil while others use tranny fluid.  It should be refilled with the same as opposed to mixing them.  The seal on the 1976 model is part #7877 not certain if this the same for other years.

Edited by "D"- Man
  • Thanks 2

rjg854

As no one has done it yet, :WRS:

check out the manuals section, it may have a manual if don't already have one

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:

This manual will come in handy. A couple of other members have a lot of "D" Sundstrand information, @daveoman1966; @pfrederi may chime in.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

@Colorad :text-welcomeconfetti:  I know nothing about D series to speak of, but I can look forward to your adventures!

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:TO:rs:

• Like 1

bottjernat1

:text-welcomewave:You Have a great machine I want one really bad. Do what you can to save it! You have joined a great group of folks here. Good luck on you d series! Try here pete's site is also a good source for info. http://www.tractordata.com/lawn-tractors/000/4/6/460-wheel-horse-d-200.html

• Thanks 1

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

pacer
6 hours ago, "D"- Man said:

The difference between removal of the pump and the impossible, is that, the impossible is just a bit harder

Hah! D man - unfortunately, is correct on maintenance of these "Big D's" . Hate to throw that at you this early with your new tractor, but, you would have found it out anyway when you start wrenching on it.  And I think he is right on the '240' designation, its probably a '200' . The 200 had a larger gas tank than the other D's and it looks like yours has the large one.

Anyway, back to your seal -while it is a pain to get into there it certainly CAN be done. (I've done it 6 times) Along with the manual recommended, there are several posts describing the process. Before you get too deep into it do some reading up on to get familiar with the components.

While you are in there you can do a check on all the other components. If you have trouble with that seal # get the number off the seal and see if its  different, also try to get it out as undamaged as you can and take it with you to your local dealer for a match up.

The 'Big D' family of tractors have sorta a 'love/hate relation here on the forum --- Obviously I'm in the 'love' group' They are a brute in the garden tractor family!

OH, and welcome aboard, feel free to ask questions, somebody here will no doubt have an answer!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

pfrederi

Just a guess but I will bet the Engine is a K-662 24hp.  They are a high quality industrial grade engine but parts will be a challenge. 

• Thanks 1

pfrederi

The Sunstrand manual linked details how to remove the engine to access the pump. You can dig out the seal with out removing the pump.  I drill a small hole and use a sheet metal screw sometimes.    I use SKF 7475 as it is a double lip seal.  One to keep dirt out the other oil in.  note if your input shaft is grooved you can use a speedi sleeve and install it with out removing the pump from the tractor. A truly unpleasant task.

seal.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Colorad

Thanks so much pfrederi,

the seal that blew is the side shaft (drivers side) the one that the linkage connects to on the passenger side. I imagine I can use your same process for any of the shaft seals?

Stormin

:WRS:  :UK:  As you've already seen, you'll get plenty of help here. Hope all goes well. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Colorad
On 3/30/2020 at 8:03 AM, pfrederi said:

Just a guess but I will bet the Engine is a K-662 24hp.  They are a high quality industrial grade engine but parts will be a challenge. 

Thanks pfrederi,

Do you happened to know where I would find the number of the engine? All I can find is where it says Kholer USA.

E95C28AC-655B-4EFA-89F2-E48D06535C7E.jpeg

485EFDBD-A406-404A-B8EC-BCD434A9B31E.jpeg

"D"- Man
On 3/30/2020 at 1:25 PM, Colorad said:

Thanks so much pfrederi,

the seal that blew is the side shaft (drivers side) the one that the linkage connects to on the passenger side. I imagine I can use your same process for any of the shaft seals?

O.K. that is a different seal than the part # I quoted.  The side shaft seals are part# 103461 for the 1976 model.  I'll check if I have any.

pfrederi

SKF 6763

Capture.JPG

• Like 1