Retired Wrencher

That changes your foot print. :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:bow-blue:

• Like 1

953 nut

@Skipper, you are a mad-man and I love it.   C-195 is a beast to begin with but yours is sooooo cooooool ! ! !                 :text-coolphotos:

20200326_130112.jpg.1bb706902e10bb10462710ca8782e23d.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Tractorhead

Impressive Work you did, thanks for Sharing even the Pics.

I like the Buttview ! 👍

Edited by Tractorhead
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

@PeacemakerJack did you see this?  

I think I’m in love again!  :ROTF:

Such an awesome transformation Skipper!  Makes me think I need to find a junk 520 one of these days for front end parts!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

WVHillbilly520H
30 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Makes me think I need to find a junk 520 one of these days for front end parts!

:angry-tappingfoot: Blasphemy Kevin... There are NO junk 520s that's all folk lure... You're a fabricator you can make a front axle assembly completely new and better...:ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

Sparky

Very impressive! Looks awesome :handgestures-thumbupright:

Did you have to raise the rear fender for tire clearance? 

• Thanks 1

R. L. Addison

Now, you will find the weaknesses in the rest of the design.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, R. L. Addison said:

I'd be curious to see what they might be on a c195.

On my current build I'm going to be using 30" AGs rear and 22 on the front.

I've reinforced the frame plate where it goes to the transmission and I'll be running parallel 2" square tubing as extra framework.

Then, fix what breaks first.

:lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Skipper
7 hours ago, Sparky said:

Very impressive! Looks awesome :handgestures-thumbupright:

Did you have to raise the rear fender for tire clearance? 

Thanks. It's still a work in progress, but it is getting there step by step.

Not a bit. It has a 1/4" clearing. I put that on careful planning  ;-) or something.

6 hours ago, R. L. Addison said:

Yep, and that is kind of also part of the plan. The end goal is to find a combination that will be a massive upgrade, and also be able to last. I welcome the troubles, so solutions can be found.

One problem this has almost solved it the need for a diff lock. It bites so hard that when the tires spin in loose soil etc, it has so much bite that it kind of locks up on it's own somehow. I noticed this in the mud today. Both bad boys kept spinning at the same time.

Another problem has already risen though.  It is no longer a mower machine. Simply too heavy. Well good thing I got two of them. One could be a "light weight" mower version :-)

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Pullstart

I bet if there was no fluid and no tiller, those rears could nearly float it across that water out back!

• Like 1

Skipper

:D It wouldn't float nicely, but it wouldn't sink either. The tires would have a buoyancy of somewhere around 700 lbs :-)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Skipper

Thanks to everyone ! Only nice comments, not even a single one pointing out the pure insanity :lol:

• Haha 5

SylvanLakeWH
3 hours ago, Skipper said:

Only nice comments, not even a single one pointing out the pure insanity :lol:

That’s because the inmates are running this :wh: asylum...!

:ROTF:

• Like 3
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
Just now, SylvanLakeWH said:

That’s because the inmates are running this :wh: asylum...!

:ROTF:

Well said Sir

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

dells68

Hey @Skipper, you are nuts for trying this build!  It looks completely ridiculous.…

and AWESOME!  This nut case loves it!!!  Keep up the good work!!!!

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

Skipper

So I found a weak spot...of sorts....or well I guess it is more a statement to how much torque and HP you can put thru the Eaton 1100 unit....and the tranny for that matter. Eaton specs state not to feed it more than about 10 hp or so, if memory serves me right. 

Today I mounted the wacko hat and went out to just test the crap out of it. Go hard or go home. So i drove it out onto a previously tilled peace of land, so wet the water came out around the tires when driving onto it. Completely soggy wet. I did the first pass no problem, backed right into it and stranded it completely. It dug into it so much that mud in the same fluidity as cow poo stood 2 inches high in the rear rims. Take a look at the pics. That's about 10 inches of thick goo. Front end about 6 inches deep. Completely stranded on the belly and sunk in.  Let it sit for a while, and then tried to drive it out again, well aware that now the soil had settled on the wheels and locked them inn. Tiller on the back, so it wouldn't lift up too much. 

The engine makes about 28-30 hp at the point where brown smoke starts to appear. I let it rip at full go, about 4000 rpm on the hydro input, considering the upgraded pulley setup. 3750 on the engine. I had not foreseen this, but i got a lot of resistance in the go lever, a bunch of black smoke up the poo shute, and it just pulled the engine down to a near halt, before i eased off. At the pitch black smoke level, we are way past 30 hp on this engine, and the hydro whined some about it, but repeatedly brought the engine to its knees. I could not break free from the soil before I started reversing and going forward again some times, and then just spinning and digging further. 

Point of this was not to see if I could get free. I knew that was not going to happen. It was more a test to see if the tranny part would take some serious abuse. In my book it was a statement to toughness, albeit it did try to tell me not to do that every day.

Telescopic Load All got it out, and a pressure wash made it look fine again.

Why do this? Well the point was to test out something that I have never before been able to test. How much can you put thru a hydro, and will it hold up? I'm telling you this: had I been able to strain the hydraulics too from the charge pump, it could have soaked up 40 hp all in all too. no doubt at all. Healthy for the unit...nooooway, but neither is putting that thru a manual.

Was it foolish, sure! did we get wiser....yes! Hope this helps to answer some of the questions, that we often see about how much engine you can actually use on a hydro machine. The simple answer is.... a LOT. The hydro is to me no longer a limiting factor compared to a gear drive. It took all I could throw at it.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Wildhorse

Very impressive work! Looks like a beast!

• Like 1

Goofey

THAT is so coooooool!

How does it compare to a D or Xi?

This is super cool. Give us more of this please.

Edited by Goofey
  • Like 1

Bow_Extreme

I’m new to this thread and I have a question.  With all the tire and rim size changes, did you have to make any adjustments to clear the 60” deck?  IE,  move brackets or deck wheels to offset the  tire size and positions.

• Like 1

Skipper
On 4/6/2020 at 4:28 PM, Goofey said:

THAT is so coooooool!

How does it compare to a D or Xi?

This is super cool. Give us more of this please.

Sorry I didn't see this question before. 

Well it's not less pretty than a D serie in my eyes, and from my experience and point of view, it will also do things now that a D can't. However, there are things still to address, before I can say it's way better in all aspects. 

Xi is no match what so ever. I love the Xi's, but this is way out of that league. :-)

More to come later ;-)

• Like 5