Skipper

Testing out new shoe sizes

Skipper
On 9/18/2020 at 9:25 PM, Bow_Extreme said:

I’m new to this thread and I have a question.  With all the tire and rim size changes, did you have to make any adjustments to clear the 60” deck?  IE,  move brackets or deck wheels to offset the  tire size and positions.

Good question. The swayed front axle gives plenty clearance for the front tires to clear the deck, and frame and mule when turning hard, but the on frame "mule" pulley for the deck, limits how hard I can turn the wheels, so until I get my act together and switch to a standard mule (2 pulley, non 520 type) I have to live with a temporary bump stop. Ain't done tinkering on the steering yet, so that will be addressed then. Rear wheels clear the deck beautifully. But since it now rides higher, the groove in the middle bar of the deck, that the lift arm goes into, will need to be slotted a bit further back, or the deck cant go all the way down. Or a mod to the lift arm or a linkage could do it too. Not a big deal at all, but that had to be done.

• Like 3

Bow_Extreme
On 9/20/2020 at 3:41 AM, Skipper said:

Good question. The swayed front axle gives plenty clearance for the front tires to clear the deck, and frame and mule when turning hard, but the on frame "mule" pulley for the deck, limits how hard I can turn the wheels, so until I get my act together and switch to a standard mule (2 pulley, non 520 type) I have to live with a temporary bump stop. Ain't done tinkering on the steering yet, so that will be addressed then. Rear wheels clear the deck beautifully. But since it now rides higher, the groove in the middle bar of the deck, that the lift arm goes into, will need to be slotted a bit further back, or the deck cant go all the way down. Or a mod to the lift arm or a linkage could do it too. Not a big deal at all, but that had to be done.

Thank You for your time!  It’s greatly appreciated!  I’m thinking I might try this on my C-195.  Would be great for plowing snow!

• Like 2

Pullstart
3 hours ago, Bow_Extreme said:

Thank You for your time!  It’s greatly appreciated!  I’m thinking I might try this on my C-195.  Would be great for plowing snow!

Especially now that you know some easy ways to fluid fill tires :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2

peter lena

SKIPPER , EXCELENT JOB ON THAT , the alteration of its size and looks are really imposing, listening to your changes makes me think of you adding this to your oil , https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7LjoIv76wIVConICh2qqA5JEAAYASAAEgJO9PD_BwE&hvadid=323281836954&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9003310&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4506361056993135780&hvtargid=kwd-357389362955&hydadcr=6395_9585525&keywords=rislone+zddp+additive&qid=1600720159&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20 ,since adding to my oil, the effort and smoothness in my kohler engines is much better, think its worth a try , with the added effort you are asking for , the amazon price is the best .  great to have you on board , great work , pete

• Like 1

Skipper
2 hours ago, peter lena said:

SKIPPER , EXCELENT JOB ON THAT , the alteration of its size and looks are really imposing, listening to your changes makes me think of you adding this to your oil , https://www.amazon.com/Rislone-4405-Supplement-Concentrate-Treatment/dp/B0075559UY/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI_7LjoIv76wIVConICh2qqA5JEAAYASAAEgJO9PD_BwE&hvadid=323281836954&hvdev=c&hvlocphy=9003310&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=b&hvrand=4506361056993135780&hvtargid=kwd-357389362955&hydadcr=6395_9585525&keywords=rislone+zddp+additive&qid=1600720159&sr=8-5&tag=googhydr-20 ,since adding to my oil, the effort and smoothness in my kohler engines is much better, think its worth a try , with the added effort you are asking for , the amazon price is the best .  great to have you on board , great work , pete

Hi Pete

Thanks for the kind words. I'm just a tinkering hillbilly, but I'll take all the flatter I can get :D

I get where you are going with that zink lube, and I totally agree for a smooth singing kohler, that by the way sounds joust ooh so sweet. Can't beat that. :hide:

But I run a twin diesel in it for now, and that just calls for a standard engine oil. Doubt that would benefit from it. :-)

• Like 1

Skipper
6 hours ago, Bow_Extreme said:

I would think so. I have yet to see it break traction on any surface, except knee deep mud. And believe me, I have tried :lol:

• Like 2

Skipper
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Especially now that you know some easy ways to fluid fill tires :handgestures-thumbupright:

A tip for filling up with no air at all: Tube of course. Then seat the tire in the rim with air pressure. Let out air, and suck all air out the tube with a vacuum pump. I used a brake bleeder pump. Then snap on the hose connector and fill up. The air between rim inside and the tube comes out at the tube stem, but remember to push the stem in a bit, till there's no more air to escapes, or it will seal and leave trapped air. pump water in till full and pressurised, and put in the valve. Done. no air to allow the water to slush around, and the weight feels as solid as any steel wheel weight.

• Like 3

peter lena

skipper, read the specs on that zinc , its also applicable to diesel engines , the transition to smooth effortless engine operation is really something , pete

• Like 1

Bow_Extreme

Next Question.  What engine are you using?  I know it’s a 30hp Diesel.  What brand?

• Like 1

Goofey
11 hours ago, Bow_Extreme said:

Next Question.  What engine are you using?  I know it’s a 30hp Diesel.  What brand?

Check this out 

And this just for fun

I so admire this tractor

Edited by Goofey
  • Like 1

Skipper
21 hours ago, peter lena said:

skipper, read the specs on that zinc , its also applicable to diesel engines , the transition to smooth effortless engine operation is really something , pete

Ok I'll test it out. Thanks for the input Pete :-)

• Like 2

Skipper
19 hours ago, Bow_Extreme said:

You should be able to find all the info in the first of the links provided here above by Goofey. If not, just let me know, and I will do my best to help you out.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Skipper said:

You should be able to find all the info in the first of the links provided here above by Goofey. If not, just let me know, and I will do my best to help you out.

That's a great response Skipper.

Nice to see all us crazy tractor folk helping each other out...

• Heart 1

Bow_Extreme
12 hours ago, Goofey said:

Check this out 

And this just for fun

I so admire this tractor

Thank You!!

• Like 1

DennisThornton

Looks great!  And sure seems to work great for a high traction move something workhorse!

I am wondering about the 100% water fill, though.  I gather that most suggest 80% to leave some air space for a compressive load to provide some "spring" suspension since water doesn't compress.  I'd think a hard "thump" could burst a tire.  Maybe an extreme example but since there's no other suspension other than the give in the tires, what's the ride like now?

• Like 1

Skipper

It's a bit hard, but not horrible. Like a standard tire on air, at max psi, I would estimate. The weight of the water fill actually helps put the tires closer to the weight range they were intended for, so they can/do flex a bit. They are 10 or 12 ply or so, meant for trenchers etc. No chance they burst. Very hard if there ain't some weight on them. Also didn't want the same weight as the machine it self, slushing around. This way they seem as solid as steel weights, with no slush at all.

Edited by Skipper
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DennisThornton

10 or 12 ply!  Wow!  OK, durable.  I only have 10.5 and 9.5s filled but I've not noticed any slushing around so I was curious.  I suppose if I had tires approaching tankers like yours I just might.

Thanks!

• Like 2

Pullstart

@DennisThornton When I fill tires they do not receive air.  My preference purely... but just thought you might want to know.

• Like 3

DennisThornton
1 minute ago, pullstart said:

@DennisThornton When I fill tires they do not receive air.  My preference purely... but just thought you might want to know.

I do appreciate knowing. 

I'd never done it until about 3 years back and I read a lot before I did and it seemed it was so important that there's lots of charts for how much for every size tire!  Now I read, "Fill 'em up!".  Different than the norm of 80% or so.

• Like 1

BeninCT

This setup is pretty cool.  Only concern I would have is how to get it out if it got stuck?

Pullstart
11 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

This setup is pretty cool.  Only concern I would have is how to get it out if it got stuck?

@Skipper will just hafta build another one and install front and rear winch mounts and a hydraulic land anchor like the storm chaser vehicles!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
53 minutes ago, BeninCT said:

Don't get stuck. 

:lol:

We live in a forest so just get a hand winch and tug off of a tree. Not so easy in a meadow I s'pose. 

BeninCT
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

@Skipper will just hafta build another one and install front and rear winch mounts and a hydraulic land anchor like the storm chaser vehicles!

@ebinmaine

Old off road trick when there is no anchor point is to find a log and dig a hole and bury it to use as an anchor point.  Shouldn’t take long. Only like 500 yards to the woods on that pic lol. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, BeninCT said:

@ebinmaine

Old off road trick when there is no anchor point is to find a log and dig a hole and bury it to use as an anchor point.  Shouldn’t take long. Only like 500 yards to the woods on that pic lol. 

Might need a longer rope too

• Haha 1

DennisThornton
16 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Don't get stuck. 

:lol:

We live in a forest so just get a hand winch and tug off of a tree. Not so easy in a meadow I s'pose. 

My nickname is Stuck Daily!

• Haha 1