Lane Ranger

Tire and Tube Mounting Information TIPS

WHX??

Thanks Lane :handgestures-thumbupright: ...couple of things in there I did not know. 

• Like 1

midpack

dish soap on the bead is a must! I always mix mine with water though

I used to use baby powder in the tire and on the tube on my race bikes to prevent chafing at the lower pressures i was using depending on the terrain for the event

• Like 5

oilwell1415

A couple of other things.

When you are seating the bead take the valve core out.  It can restrict airflow and make it hard to get the tire to seal initially.  Another thing that can help get that initial seal is wrapping a ratchet strap around the center of the tread and cinching it down a little to bow out the tire.

With tubes, always use some kind of powder lubricant on the tube.  After you've put the tube inside the tire, but before you've put the second bead on, remove the valve core and inflate and deflate the tube a few times to make sure there are no wrinkles in it.  If a wrinkle gets trapped in there it will eventually cause the tube to wear through.

• Like 7

Pullstart
20 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Thanks Lane :handgestures-thumbupright: ...couple of things in there I did not know. 

I didn’t see “practice your words” in there? :teasing-poke:

squonk

My Tip: Take them to the tire shop down the road! 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

oilwell1415
21 minutes ago, squonk said:

That used to be my tip as well, but I put new tires on my Horse right after I got it and it would have cost me $80 to do that.  Doing it yourself really isn't that hard if you've got the right tools.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

squonk

After changing tires for 25 years, I let the young guys do it 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Digger 66
2 hours ago, Lane Ranger said:

Attached you will find two sheets of TIPS on mounting Tires and Tubes on your tractors.

very cool !

Thank you :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

WHX??
4 hours ago, squonk said:

Yer a sally Skunk... did that once and they charged me 10 bucks. Wouldn't get out of bed for that. Even greased the the tech another ten for not marring the rims. Took another set in to the same place and got bent over and scratched rims for 40 bucks... wt%??? Talk about inflation and not just the tires! Needless to say the tech did not get a tip.

Bought a HF mini for 40 and just did 4 6-12s with no problems. Now money ahead. Best part no scratched rims by an unruly tire monkey!

20200228_092548.jpg

Forgot about the baby powder trick.  Thanks for the reminders fellas...Would have made getting the lug staggers I was lookin for (duals) much easier without twisted tubes. Pet peeve is not having the stem perpendicular to the rim. Looks like I got yer OCD Oilwell! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 3
  • Haha 3

squonk

I get charged 10 bucks a tire.I can bring a tire in 15 min before they close and still get it done. I can buy a set of tires for my truck all mounted and balanced cheaper than my B-I-L .can buy the same 4 tires wholesale. I support my local shop as my wife can have a problem with her van while I'm at work and they get it right in. I'm  fortunate I have a shop near me, a shop near work and a Toyota shop ,(van) I can trust. I have better things to do than futz around with tires.

• Like 1

WHX??

Calm down now Mike gonna give yerself a virus you don't or worse yer knickers twisted as @Storminwould say.  :ychain:

We're not talking truck/car tires here. We all know those havta go to a pro shop. 

Understandable you want to keep a good tire shop in your back pocket if the missus has issues while your bent over a dishwasher. 

Edited by WHX24

bc.gold

Installing a tube, place it onto the tire first to make sure the stem is facing the right direction otherwise if installed incorrectly once you start inflating the installed tube if will flip away from the hole. With no way to fish it out.

Don't ask me how i know this, but you only do it once.

Edited by bcgold
  • Haha 1

squonk
12 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Calm down now Mike gonna give yerself a virus you don't or worse yer knickers twisted as @Storminwould say.  :ychain:

We're not talking truck/car tires here. We all know those havta go to a pro shop. 

Understandable you want to keep a good tire shop in your back pocket if the missus has issues while your bent over a dishwasher. 

I suppose if you have the kind of fleet you have, if you went to a tire shop, you’d have no money left for beer! :lol:

I used to have a Coats 40/40 here at Wheel Horse Plaza. One day the light went off in my head. If I quit “horsing around with tires , I could sell this antique machine and buy another Tractor ! Tractor more fun than tires!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Lane Ranger

My fingers are starting to hurt!      :happy-bouncyshadowgreen::happy-bouncyshadowgreen:

• Haha 1

JoeM

I use this air blow gun on the valve stems with the core removed. It fits very nice on the stem down to the rubber and seals great. 

AirValveUse2.jpg.d49cdd0d4ddd49040ef833a11d6047aa.jpgAirValveUse1.jpg.dec286da740a063ec672ad4f65e2542c.jpgAirValveUse.jpg.6e4b0a114e76e7475440b87ce42cfd30.jpg

• Like 1

Rob R
On 3/25/2020 at 3:46 PM, midpack said:

dish soap on the bead is a must! I always mix mine with water though

I used to use baby powder in the tire and on the tube on my race bikes to prevent chafing at the lower pressures i was using depending on the terrain for the event

Agree with everything you say plus I always run my fingers over the inside of the tire and rim to ensure there is nothing sharp to damage the tube if the rim has some welding slag or splash hit the rim with some sand paper or wheel to remove them. I also take my heat gun and heat the tire (especially in the winter) to ensure the flexibility of the side wall. One additional thing I always did that my uncle taught me is out of the box inflate the TUBE fully leave it for a few minutes so that it takes shape put the powder on. then deflate it. This helps immensely with regards to no creases when inserting into the tire. 

Edited by Rob R
  • Like 1

WHX??

Good tip Rob... laying them in the direct sun helps soften them too. 

bc.gold

How many of you remember the red inner tubes, they always made the best sling shots.

red.jpg

• Like 1

Lee1977

Never had a problem mounting them,  some were a little more difcult but I got them on. It's getting them off that is the problem. After two or three tries I have that covered too.

SAM-0949.jpg

Edited by Lee1977

Rob R
18 hours ago, Lee1977 said:

Never had a problem mounting them,  some were a little more difcult but I got them on. It's getting them off that is the problem. After two or three tries I have that covered too.

SAM-0949.jpg

Solved the taking off problem by making a HD bead breaker out of scrap steel  since the store boughts are mostly junk, easy to store and works like magic.... most borrowed tool I own!

Bead Breaker Homemade 001.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 002.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 003.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 004.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 005.jpg

• Excellent 1

Lee1977
1 hour ago, Rob R said:

Solved the taking off problem by making a HD bead breaker out of scrap steel  since the store boughts are mostly junk, easy to store and works like magic.... most borrowed tool I own!

Bead Breaker Homemade 001.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 002.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 003.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 004.jpg

Bead Breaker Homemade 005.jpg

You wouldn't have broke that one loose it was glued on might have cut right trough that 2 ply tire if it didn't fold away.. I don't know what they used but it was good stuff.

953 nut

Today I mounted up a pair of tires @RJ Hamner was nice enough to sell me and decided to show y'all my high-tech tire machine for smaller size tires.

102_3442.JPG.f379aced079fde264bf28916fc63a984.JPG

A piece of 3/4" all-thread rod through a hole in the work bench and a couple tire irons.

102_3444.JPG.b7dbe1cbbf8921d5ddc075eb02b7178c.JPG

For freshly painted rims I use an old Tupperware lid to protect the paint, run a washer and rod coupling onto the all-thread and it ain't going anywhere.

102_3446.JPG.f24d55854493fc2c673d267b36dd6c55.JPG

Lube up the tire and the lower bead slides on by hand.

Next I use a pair of highly calibrated 4 X 4 chunks to hold the tire up while inserting the tube (right side up of course).

102_3445.JPG.5f8e96f53643c01ffec60e3db7d532d6.JPG

Fingers cut from an old leather glove slipped over the tire irons protect the paint.

102_3447.JPG.b3ba5024a8ba7d905ebbd8a1f735b851.JPG

These 8" tires and shorter spindles should make the 310-8 ride and steer a lot better.

:angry-tappingfoot:       If any of you plan to copy this high-tech tire changer you can just send the royalty checks to me!    :laughing-rolling:         

Lane Ranger
9 hours ago, 953 nut said:

Today I mounted up a pair of tires @RJ Hamner was nice enough to sell me and decided to show y'all my high-tech tire machine for smaller size tires.

102_3442.JPG.f379aced079fde264bf28916fc63a984.JPG

A piece of 3/4" all-thread rod through a hole in the work bench and a couple tire irons.

102_3444.JPG.b7dbe1cbbf8921d5ddc075eb02b7178c.JPG

For freshly painted rims I use an old Tupperware lid to protect the paint, run a washer and rod coupling onto the all-thread and it ain't going anywhere.

102_3446.JPG.f24d55854493fc2c673d267b36dd6c55.JPG

Lube up the tire and the lower bead slides on by hand.

Next I use a pair of highly calibrated 4 X 4 chunks to hold the tire up while inserting the tube (right side up of course).

102_3445.JPG.5f8e96f53643c01ffec60e3db7d532d6.JPG

Fingers cut from an old leather glove slipped over the tire irons protect the paint.

102_3447.JPG.b3ba5024a8ba7d905ebbd8a1f735b851.JPG

These 8" tires and shorter spindles should make the 310-8 ride and steer a lot better.

:angry-tappingfoot:       If any of you plan to copy this high-tech tire changer you can just send the royalty checks to me!    :laughing-rolling:         

Richard:  That Big Hex Nut you are using looks like  a Schnacke Recoil Hex Nut !

953 nut
36 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

looks like  a Schnacke Recoil Hex Nut

:handgestures-thumbupright:      Nope, just a 3/4" rod coupling.       :confusion-confused:          Did Schnancke make a recoil that big?     :scared-eek:       must have been a 40 HP model.     :ychain: